General Question for a friend

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
I have a friend who just took in a bulldog that someone "didn't have time for" you know one of those excuses.... forgive me for sounding rude, but usually when i hear that i know there is another reason.

Anyway, she asked me to go along with her and look at the dog.. i thought she was a pretty dog and looked healthy. I asked the gentleman if the dog had any problems or bad habits because this girl did have children.. he assured us that the only problem the dog had was it loved car rides.. i don't see this as a problem..

i did notice the dog was very dirty and smelly but jut though it need a good bath. well my friend took the dog and bathed it and the first few nights were great.. no problems..

but now here is the problem, she now has to go back to work and kids to school and the dog is alone... ok.. she's not a very big dog, she manage to tear up a metal kennel, and tear a door off with in an hours time..

do you think this dog has separation problems or boredom..?? she bought quit a few toys for her and it didnt seem to help... any suggestions..?? her husband is about to go nuts over it.. other then that the dog is a great sweet dog... cuddles with them at night and goes out .. they previous owners said they just let the dog run the house while they were gone but i don't see how..and as i think back to the dirty smelly first impression im wondering if they didnt put her outside while they were gone, do you think the dog would destroy the house if she just left her out ?? did it tear up the kennel because it wasn't use to it?? and the door was to the basement where she put her after the kennel incident because it was only option at the time..

any advise i can give her on what to do before her husband gets to mad..??

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
If she isn't used to being kenneled/locked up I think it's understandable if she panics. Maybe they could try and have her contained in a room where she can't make much damage? Maybe leave the TV or radio on for company and only leave her for a few minutes now and then in the beginning so she knows they are coming back. It's good to leave the kennel opened with a nice bed in so she can get used to it on her own terms.

It's likely separation anxiety and everything is new to her so she might be a bit confused. I would give it time and avoid leaving her alone for longer periods of time in the beginning.

Hope things work out for her<3

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks Petra, i was thinking the same thing with it being a new place.. i even suggested talking to her vet about her. She said the dog follows her around the house even to the bathroom. lol.. so i think she does not like being alone.. i hope it works out for her because she really is a sweet dog and i hate seeing a dog go from home to home like my poor rocky did.. he was in 3 homes before i got him and he just turned a year old.. breaks my heart to see a pet no having a stable home..

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Ja, she's probably scared of being abandoned, poor girl:( It should get better once she's settled in and knows this is her home. Routine is very important, especially for bulldogs. When she has learned them she should feel safer:)

The vet could probably prescribe something calming for her but I personally wouldn't go that route. Better to deal with the issue and sort it out than to postpone the problem with drugs. Sometimes it's needed though if the dog is a danger to itself...

She will probably be fine with just some time and lots of love :)

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
i hope for my friends sake.. sometimes i think i worry to much about my dogs and other peoples.. cant stand to see one mistreated or not get the love that they give... i know i have issues... lol.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@punky This was posted by [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] This may help your friend with her new dog..............
icon1.png
Composure Calming Supplement for Dogs

As some of you know, our family, including my bully Truman, recently underwent several major moves. It was a stressful time for everyone, including Truman, who has struggled on and off with sleeping well at night.

After moving into our third place, Truman's night time barking, pacing, and desire to go outside 10 times a day became oppressive. We decided to consult a vet, who recommended we first try a supplement before any medication...this was, of course, after determining there was no medical reason Truman would need to go out so much or bark at all hours. It was anxiety and stress!

I was very skeptical but these all natural chews, Composure Calming Supplement, turned out to be very effective. You can give one or two chews (Truman loves them!) before bed, or during any stressful time, and it helps dogs relax. Since we started using them, we haven't had any of the 3, 4, and 5 AM barking and trips outside have been minimized.

I would recommend this supplement for any bully parent who thinks their dog might be stressed or needs help adjusting to the crate or additional time alone.

You do not need a prescription for these chews and they are about $20 for a bag of 60.

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
well my friend has figured out that the people who had her were telling her the truth.. they just let her run the house.. she did this and no problems now.. i guess she just didn't like being pinned up.. so now she has free roam of the house and sleeps in her bed while they are gone.. they are both happy now..

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Awesome! My guys aren't a fan of change either. Like typical bullies, they inspect EVERYTHING I do or bring in the house. We are lucky they let us live in their house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.