General Question Training away gun-shyness?

AnnoyedNextdoor

Aug 4, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
tugboat
My dog is gun-shy and since this is the country there's always someone firing off a rifle or a pistol. The strange part is that I've shot coyotes and rattlesnakes out here on the property and that doesn't scare him one bit. However if Farmer John who lives a mile down the road is shooting a rifle in the backyard he goes into complete panic mode. Thoughts? I have had other dogs in the past that I was able to train but with him nothing seems to stick he just does what he does.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I wonder if it is because he can not 'see' the noise coming... Since it is in the distance he is unsure of what is happening?

Might be a good idea to contact a behavioral trainer for advice

OP
A

AnnoyedNextdoor

Aug 4, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
tugboat
How is he with thunder ? is there the same reaction ?

He doesn't like lightning or thunder either. And once he is worried about something it is complete panic mode, I can't give him cookies or toys or anything he just sits on his bed. Then after an hour or two it's like a light goes on and he forgets that he's scared and everything is fine again. He's an "American" Bulldog not English if that helps and I have had him since he was a puppy, always been well behaved but sort of "simple" when it comes to commands and training.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I have never had any luck convincing any dog that stuff like that is nothing to worry about , but I mostly had this issue start in older dogs only and I mean like 7 or 8 years and up , never in a younger dog . I had one dog that ran to the bathroom tub and you could not get her out until like your dog finally forgot about it .
Hang in here as there are a ton of people here that know way more then i do on the subject you came to the right place to ask TugBoats DAD

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
one of my dogs hates thunder also.. when it starts raining out and thundering she will run and get in the bed with her mom.. its kinda cute because she never sleeps with her or any of the other ones only when its thundering out.. he mommy protects her..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.