2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are you making him work for treats and food?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you very much. I am doing my best to tire them out daily. I'm even taking Thor for 2 mile long walks by ourselves daily. We are used to our little fat EBD who wants to go outside and potty and come back in again!

Any training suggestions? Or just wear him out and keep working with him, the rest will follow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually hired a trainer to help me w/Roxie… she liked to run away if she got out the front door. My poor neighbors would see me bolt thru the subdivision in my jammies :blink: Training session will mentally tire them out, and that's a good thing… even playing hide/seek can keep them busy. My hubby even rode his bike and had Roxie run besides him… but be extremely careful doing this, boxers are a brac breed so they can over heart just like bullies do. A tired doggie is a better behaved doggie… plan short sessions throughout the day and see if the behavior improves.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Are you making him work for treats and food?

Working for everything. NILIF!

I actually hired a trainer to help me w/Roxie… she liked to run away if she got out the front door. My poor neighbors would see me bolt thru the subdivision in my jammies :blink: Training session will mentally tire them out, and that's a good thing… even playing hide/seek can keep them busy. My hubby even rode his bike and had Roxie run besides him… but be extremely careful doing this, boxers are a brac breed so they can over heart just like bullies do. A tired doggie is a better behaved doggie… plan short sessions throughout the day and see if the behavior improves.

That's a good plan. I wish I ran, but neither my wife nor I do. I try to take the guys out early, or later, so it's not so hot in the summer.

Thor goes wild at the dog park, and he will run and run and run (so does Taco, but at a slower speed.) Unfortunately, I can't figure out why he decides to attack some dogs, and not others. It could be the same dog that he played with for an hour the day before, and he will run in and attack it the next day. We are getting a bad rep at the dog park, which is no bueno, because that's the easiest way to drain his energy out. If I could get him to fetch, that would be ideal, but the bringing back thing is a no go.

I need to get some tasty treats to help motivate, I think that will be helpful.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Well, we are making progress. I think I was just frustrated the first couple of days. We are wearing him out, and exercising his mind as well, as much as possible. He's a great dog, just wasn't expecting to have to put in such an initial amount of time.

We still have not solved his aggression issue with other dogs, but I don't think we will. I keep him leashed and sitting right by me (which he does obediently while other dogs romp around) until he's just with Taco, or dogs that he happens to get along with that day.

Taco has been a real treat in the training process, as he just goes through the motions now, ie. I make them sit before they get invited into or out of the house, and Taco will be sitting and patiently waiting before I even give the command.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
d70b7b2367e76597d6f3fca49289f156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
A quick update:

I ended up getting two important things. Treats, and a crate. I guess we lucked out with Taco being the gentle giant that he is, and it's clear Thor will need a lot more work. We got a bark collar that sprays citronella if he barks, and he doesn't care for it. I quickly figured out, as did he, that he was very aware of the "if I do this, then the result is this..." making him an ideal candidate for clicker training.

I've downloaded an app on my phone that tracks our walks, and I have been taking Thor our for an average of 4-5 miles a day. At the very least, we will do 2 miles.

I put him in the crate at night now, and that has helped us sleep. I got a cover for the crate, and I threw in one of my old sweaters, which he enjoys. He barked a few times the first couple of nights, but now he patiently waits till the morning. I feel bad, because Taco still sleeps in our room, but Taco will let us sleep, in fact, I have to get him up and moving in the mornings so I'm not late!

Clicker training is hard because of the two dogs, but seemingly effective. I work with the dogs separately, but Thor has started associating sit with treat, vs. the click. I don't give him treats for sitting anymore, as it's all he will do. He got very excited when we first introduced treats. When we worked on associating the "click" with a treat, he would not forget there was a treat in my hand. Training I read, said that you should let the dog smell your hand while you're watching TV or reading a book if they are curious about the treat, but not give it till them until they give up. Well, Thor did not give up, we went two 45 min episodes of a show, and he still was trying to open my hand up and get a treat. I am not sure if he associates click with a treat, but I am clicking every time he gets one.

I was about ready to give up a few days after working on making him sit before we go through doors, and waiting for me to invite him in. This is a big thing for me, because we live in a tightly knit, very nice complex, and having the dogs behave in the hallways and vestibules is key. I was getting ready to give up, and we went for a walk yesterday, and the little dude sat down after each door, and looked at me like he knew he had done something right. He's obviously super smart, and I'm the dummy for not being able to figure out how to wear out that little mind of his.

Something makes me feel like this is going to make children a breeze!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great work and dedication!! Stick to it-- slightest inch and he will plow through

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
So this is my most recent battle. Becoming Alpha.

We've had Taco for almost a year now,and he has been a model citizen. He knows I'm top dog in the house, and he's been great on the leash, and even off the leash. He listens when I call him, it's been good.

Our recent introduction, Thor, has been a bit more of a challenge. I don't know if it's because I'm dealing with x2 now, or because I'm confident that he's 1/2 Boxer.

Thor came to us from the same rescue we got Taco, and his family surrender him because he wasn't do well with the kids. I have had Thor and Taco with kids, supervised, and they do great. But that isn't even what this is about. I live a few yards away from a dog park at the bottom of my Apartment. Taco and Thor get along great, they play all day, they even play when they are by themselves in the dog park. Thor, however, will run right for certain dogs, and attack them. It could have been the same dog he has played with yesterday for 45 minutes. I started to realize that he thinks he's the alpha in our pack. He's first out the door, first in the door, doesn't listen when I call him in the dog park, etc.

So here's what I've done to regain control. I've started making them both work for everything. I know the drill in this regard. I praise, and I act quick when disciplining, or correcting. I've been working on making them both walk besides me, vs. the in front. Taco is excellent, Thor is good AFTER we burn energy, but I will literally be almost dragging him with the tight leash by my side to keep him from running up ahead, there will be no slack. I have tried correcting with the leash (he's on a harness) and I've tried stopping and sitting as we go, and he still will try and pull ahead. I make them sit before we go out and I open the door and make them wait, same coming back in. Granted I have only been doing this for 5 or so days, and I have noticed improvements, but I'm wondering if there is something I can do to break him faster. He listens at home, and it's very clear I'm in charge, but it's outside that get's confusing.

I've thought about getting a choke collar, I'm not sure what the consensuses on those are here, but I imagine probably not well received? I am open to any advice, tips or tricks, I feel like I'm on the right path, but it's going to be a long time till we get it right!

Part of me is frustrated doing this with two dogs, I was hoping Taco's good habits would get picked up, but instead Taco is learning Thors bad ones!

Hi There
For Me it has always depended on the dog and there personality , Tilly was always a collar dog for anything walking especially, i have used chokers and know also how to use them seems in My memory they had to be used on the larger breeds Dobes and Roti,s and a couple of Siberian husky's, Odin is a Cane Corso and works, walks, everything well with a K9 harness yet is a pain in the rump to walk with a collar it seems he feels HE is in control, soon as the harness is on even without a lead on say on the property , he will not leave My side stops when i do ect ect
I have two Chokers here and as i said have had to use them on certain dogs , I do not care what people think if I use them I know I have My dogs best interest at heart when i use them .
The treat method works very well also all My guys love there treats lol

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Hi There
For Me it has always depended on the dog and there personality , Tilly was always a collar dog for anything walking especially, i have used chokers and know also how to use them seems in My memory they had to be used on the larger breeds Dobes and Roti,s and a couple of Siberian husky's, Odin is a Cane Corso and works, walks, everything well with a K9 harness yet is a pain in the rump to walk with a collar it seems he feels HE is in control, soon as the harness is on even without a lead on say on the property , he will not leave My side stops when i do ect ect
I have two Chokers here and as i said have had to use them on certain dogs , I do not care what people think if I use them I know I have My dogs best interest at heart when i use them .
The treat method works very well also all My guys love there treats lol

Thanks for chiming in. At this stage, I feel like it's a training battle vs. a collar battle! He does well in his K9, but he still pulls, especially at the beginning of walks.

There are a lot of different opinions on the best way to train "your" dog, I have gotten so many conflicting opinions also (not on here, just from talking to people, asking around, etc.) I think it's different for every dog. I think Thor is just a puppy who got surrendered because he was a handful (aka a puppy) and developed some bad habits along the way because of his PO.

My first rescue was a walk in the park, and I think we were hoping for another breezy situation. It's a good thing I'm more stubborn than the dogs!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Thanks for chiming in. At this stage, I feel like it's a training battle vs. a collar battle! He does well in his K9, but he still pulls, especially at the beginning of walks.

There are a lot of different opinions on the best way to train "your" dog, I have gotten so many conflicting opinions also (not on here, just from talking to people, asking around, etc.) I think it's different for every dog. I think Thor is just a puppy who got surrendered because he was a handful (aka a puppy) and developed some bad habits along the way because of his PO.

My first rescue was a walk in the park, and I think we were hoping for another breezy situation. It's a good thing I'm more stubborn than the dogs!

All my guys (5) except Rosie are saves I so agree with you , i still have small issues with Odin but the difference is amazing i am told , Hang in there My friend i think Thor is a beauty, he is a lucky guy to have you

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
All my guys (5) except Rosie are saves I so agree with you , i still have small issues with Odin but the difference is amazing i am told , Hang in there My friend i think Thor is a beauty, he is a lucky guy to have you

Maybe it's a thing with dogs named after the Nordic Gods?

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Maybe it's a thing with dogs named after the Nordic Gods?

HA HA Mine is old traditional English names for a Bully Matilda = Tilly , Primrose = Rosie , it is not the first full name I lok at it is the short formed part of the name I will use , Nordic gods are cool also lol

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
HA HA Mine is old traditional English names for a Bully Matilda = Tilly , Primrose = Rosie , it is not the first full name I lok at it is the short formed part of the name I will use , Nordic gods are cool also lol

Yeah, but Odin is Thors dad, I believe.... at the very least, Nordic!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Yeah, but Odin is Thors dad, I believe.... at the very least, Nordic!

Oh ya sorry I meant My Bulldogs names are the old traditional lol My fault this is Odin 081 (1280x960).jpg004.jpg2nd one is Odin and Primrose = Rosie a 13 week old EB
Odin is a Cane Corso 2 yrs old lol

Sorry for the confusion

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.