Thread: Leader of the pack

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Leader of the pack

Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    I was just wondering what these "attacks" are like when Thor goes after another dog. Is he drawing blood? Is he biting? Or is it tackling and growling? Goob doesn't play nicely with others...people or dogs. But we know that when he starts to lower his head and stares the person or dog in the eye, he is going to lunge for them. He "went after" a dog when he got out of the back yard but he just tackled the dog and sat on top of it...no biting although we were worried that he might.

Does he attack when other dogs get close to Taco? Close to you? I'm sure you're keeping your eyes peeled but maybe if you can tell what situation sets him off, you can give him freedom then reign him in when you see him get defensive?? Sorry I'm not much help...just throwing out some other suggestions. It sounds like Thor is GREAT...he just has issues when other dogs come around (sometimes).
    Here is what it looks like.

It starts with intense gazing. Very hard to keep him focused as soon as he sees another dog. I keep him leashed now at all times, he attacked a corgi in the dog park the other day, and he gets along great with the other corgi (our neighbor) he's usually alright with smaller dogs, and he paws them over. With bigger dogs, or dogs his size, he wants to bite and tackle.

After intense gazing (while on the leash) he will crouch down (think like a tiger hunting) and slink like a cat, rapidly (usually pulling on the leash) and try to approach the first dog he sees. If he can get close enough, he lunges and nips. If I make him sit and a dog runs by, he will lunge, and nip. He's really not very nice around other dogs.

He's also very protective in the house, and wary of any new guests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by YHSublime View Post
    Here is what it looks like.

It starts with intense gazing. Very hard to keep him focused as soon as he sees another dog. I keep him leashed now at all times, he attacked a corgi in the dog park the other day, and he gets along great with the other corgi (our neighbor) he's usually alright with smaller dogs, and he paws them over. With bigger dogs, or dogs his size, he wants to bite and tackle.

After intense gazing (while on the leash) he will crouch down (think like a tiger hunting) and slink like a cat, rapidly (usually pulling on the leash) and try to approach the first dog he sees. If he can get close enough, he lunges and nips. If I make him sit and a dog runs by, he will lunge, and nip. He's really not very nice around other dogs.

He's also very protective in the house, and wary of any new guests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    this sounds similar to what goob does also. My husband usually turns Goob's head or covers his eyes RIGHT when the stare STARTS because it leads to the crouch and lunge like you explained. You can also redirect with a treat. Whatever you think will work that will break his stare. Of course if he is off leash and you notice this "stare" maybe he wouldn't get into the zone if you called him and offered him a treat??? Just a suggestion...we are still trying to deal with this with Goob also.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)

this sounds similar to what goob does also. My husband usually turns Goob's head or covers his eyes RIGHT when the stare STARTS because it leads to the crouch and lunge like you explained. You can also redirect with a treat. Whatever you think will work that will break his stare. Of course if he is off leash and you notice this "stare" maybe he wouldn't get into the zone if you called him and offered him a treat??? Just a suggestion...we are still trying to deal with this with Goob also.
    I wouldn't be able to stop it if he was off leash, it happens way to quick. I try to redirect, or get him to look at me or elsewhere, but it's maddening to him, all energy is focused. He's great with people outside, just dogs. Are the issue. Both boys get pet all the time in the elevator, they are offended if they don't get petting a from strangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I know it sounds silly but could you run in the opposite direction? Sometimes if we're walking and goob gets fixated on another dog I will give his leash a quick tug and turn and quickly go in the other direction...I guess that avoidance doesn't solve the underlying issue but its a start?
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)

I know it sounds silly but could you run in the opposite direction? Sometimes if we're walking and goob gets fixated on another dog I will give his leash a quick tug and turn and quickly go in the other direction...I guess that avoidance doesn't solve the underlying issue but its a start?
    It's only a big issue in the dog park. My other dog LOVES playing with his pals, I think he'll just be forever leashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads