Winnie's behaving badly!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hey y'all! Roy and I got a new puppy from the shelter yesterday. He's 5 months old, a lab/pit mix, really a sweet little guy. My problem is that Winnie is acting like a real b***h! She is terribly possessive of me and herds him away every time he gets close to me. She has snapped at him a couple of times, has not bitten him though. She doesn't want him to play with her toys most of the time, but she does bring toys in front of him like she's trying to get him to chase her for the toy or daring him to take it from her. She will bring him the rope and pull with him. We have another dog too, Jack (not a bully), and she gets along great with him. I'm hoping that once the new wears off, she will be a bit nicer. Do y'all have any ideas? How should I handle her?
The new guy, Gus:
image.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Did you introduce them outside the home before bringing him in? If you did not do so, you will need to take them for short walks to get her to pack up with him..... also do you use Nothing in Life is Free? if not, try to incorporate that into the household to help keep the pack in order

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Awww, Gus is so handsome!!! <3

I have no advice, sadly, but good luck with everything!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Did you introduce them outside the home before bringing him in? If you did not do so, you will need to take them for short walks to get her to pack up with him..... also do you use Nothing in Life is Free? if not, try to incorporate that into the household to help keep the pack in order

Agreed you have a pack now , they have to figure that part out with your help , make sure they understand you are the alpha pack leader it will take time but all will be ok 2BullyMama is right on the button good advice

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Of course that is great advice Christine [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], and of course I didn't do it! When we got home with him my kids and grandkids had just arrived and the grandkids were spending Saturday night here. What a crazy time to bring home a new puppy, I know! So, to update, Winnie is doing much better. She follows him around a lot. You can tell she's still not too happy when I give him attention, but she's not herding him around anymore. A couple of times when she was really nasty and snapped at him, I had to threaten her with "the can" which is that Pet Corrector. She hates the hissing sound it makes, so all I have to say is, "I'm going to get the can!," and she shapes up immediately. She does love to play tug with him and will follow him around sticking the rope in his face to try to get him to play. Jack sucks at pulling, he will half-heartedly grab the rope, hold on for a second or two and then drop it. Winnie does seem to be wanting some extra attention from me and has been climbing into my lap a few extra times a day for hugs, but so far so good! This is going to be so much fun! Gus was pretty good with the grandkids too!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Of course that is great advice Christine @2BullyMama, and of course I didn't do it! When we got home with him my kids and grandkids had just arrived and the grandkids were spending Saturday night here. What a crazy time to bring home a new puppy, I know! So, to update, Winnie is doing much better. She follows him around a lot. You can tell she's still not too happy when I give him attention, but she's not herding him around anymore. A couple of times when she was really nasty and snapped at him, I had to threaten her with "the can" which is that Pet Corrector. She hates the hissing sound it makes, so all I have to say is, "I'm going to get the can!," and she shapes up immediately. She does love to play tug with him and will follow him around sticking the rope in his face to try to get him to play. Jack sucks at pulling, he will half-heartedly grab the rope, hold on for a second or two and then drop it. Winnie does seem to be wanting some extra attention from me and has been climbing into my lap a few extra times a day for hugs, but so far so good! This is going to be so much fun! Gus was pretty good with the grandkids too!

Great news

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.