christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
And the problems still continue! You guys have to be sick of me by now! :w00t: I'm going to try and be as specific as possible about this! Spanky is now 7 months old, and I have definitely seen huge improvement with his behavior for the most part, but I'm still a little confused with him!! For the most part, Spanky listens to me when we are at home- he will usually leave stuff alone when told (except for the cats but that's expected), doesn't bite me anymore (unless he gets in crazy mode)...overall behaves quite well for me. He has always been fabulous at walking but lately he's started biting on the leash and biting at my feet when I take him, ESPECIALLY for his last potty break at night. He goes absolutely insane...taking the leash in his mouth and running circles around me and growling and then when i walk he attacks my feet. I try making him sit down but that hardly ever works and the behavior continues until he decides to stop. Does he know it's almost bedtime or what?? Now, in public, I cannot control him. He gets SO excited to see other people which is great, but he pulls on the leash and a lot of times wants to jump up on them. I again try making him sit and stay but that hardly EVER works- he acts like i'm not there!!!! And now for the boyfriend problems...BF is hardly ever home and when he is Spanky will NOT leave his feet alone. Whether it's just biting them to bite them or he will take a toy and set it on top of his feet and then bite his feet. I would assume that means he wants to play, but Spanky is not in charge of playtime and needs to know that he cannot bite my boyfriend until he plays. He also has many other behaviors with my boyfriend as well...he doesnt listen to him at all and gets wound up VERY quickly when he's home. I know there are other problems going on but I can't think of any more right now. Spanky is getting neutered on the 21st and I have been wanting to do training classes with him since day 1 but the boyfriend says "you shouldn't have to bring a dog to a trainer in order for it to listen to you" :mellow: ....i guess i just don't know what to do...help :ashamed:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Boyfriend is wrong... Spanky needs structure classes for social reasons and he needs to be involved in order for Spanky to see him as a leader and not a playmate.

Spanky is also in the toddler stages and will push snd test your limits. Go back to basics with him and start using ' nothing in life is free'. At all time -- including BF, if he chooses nit to partake, then Spanky will continue to not listen to him.

Bring a high value treat when walking and use it to have Spanky focus on you and your commands

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Boyfriend is wrong... Spanky needs structure classes for social reasons and he needs to be involved in order for Spanky to see him as a leader and not a playmate.

Spanky is also in the toddler stages and will push snd test your limits. Go back to basics with him and start using ' nothing in life is free'. At all time -- including BF, if he chooses nit to partake, then Spanky will continue to not listen to him.

Bring a high value treat when walking and use it to have Spanky focus on you and your commands

:goodpost: I agree 100% with Christine. I'll just add that he's still young, it may take a while for him to learn, but be patient, it does happen.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] The dog training class is actually teaching you how to train the dog, and teach him respect. Don't listen to the boyfriend-
He is definitely NOT an expert. If you don't gain Spanky's respect now-it will be a hard road! They all get a spunky attitude occasionly, but you should be able to stop it when you want to. Sounds like the boyfriend needs a trainer-he certainly doesn't know dogs! Probably part of the problem...............:slapping:

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky

THank you!! I have been doing the "nothing in life is free" deal since day 1, which is why i assume he cooperates with me a little better. When Spanky wants ANYTHING I am always always always making him sit and stay or do something in order to earn it. And I let the boyfriend know that he needs to be doing that at as well...but I feel like he isn't very consistent with anything at all when it comes to Spanky and that is where the problem probably is between those two! Any idea why he is all of a sudden biting at my feet outside when we walk..? Just started happening, but it obviously gets really old, really fast!

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
I agree with [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] The dog training class is actually teaching you how to train the dog, and teach him respect. Don't listen to the boyfriend-
He is definitely NOT an expert. If you don't gain Spanky's respect now-it will be a hard road! They all get a spunky attitude occasionly, but you should be able to stop it when you want to. Sounds like the boyfriend needs a trainer-he certainly doesn't know dogs! Probably part of the problem...............:slapping:

LOL! YEP. He definitely is NOT an expert! BF gets very frustrated very fast with Spanky, and Spanky obviously knows it because all hell breaks loose. I try my best to keep them both calm but oofta. Funny thing is that the BF is the one who wanted this breed. I never knew much about them but just went along with it. It is very clear though that I am willing to put in the work and the BF thinks "it shouldn't be like this". Little did he know!! haha! Some days I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry when Spanky is giving him a hard time!! :haha:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
THank you!! I have been doing the "nothing in life is free" deal since day 1, which is why i assume he cooperates with me a little better. When Spanky wants ANYTHING I am always always always making him sit and stay or do something in order to earn it. And I let the boyfriend know that he needs to be doing that at as well...but I feel like he isn't very consistent with anything at all when it comes to Spanky and that is where the problem probably is between those two! Any idea why he is all of a sudden biting at my feet outside when we walk..? Just started happening, but it obviously gets really old, really fast!

Spanky is a toddler and testing the waters during the walk... Bring a high value treat and make her focus on you and stop the walk till he settles. It will be a bitch but si worth it in the end

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
You'll get there! Sucks that Spanky's discipline is being held back by your bf not really participating, but hey at least he does better with you! [emoji14]

Just want to share with you that when my dog was a puppy, probably the same age actually, we went through the same leash biting agony (though no feet fighting). And nighttime was the worst for us too!

Pay attention to his movements/actions/stance/whatever BEFORE he goes for he goes for the leash. Once you can sense that he is about to do it, THAT'S when you should correct him. Make him sit, give you his attention, whatever it takes to remind him that YOU are boss. Then once he gets going nicely, praise him. :)

If you don't already, practice stopping him while you're walking, that way he has a reason to stop/sit when you tell him to, during the crazier walks.

I'm certainly no expert but this was my experience with Winslow! Good luck! :D

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
[MENTION=9723]jenzaar[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] you guys are awesome!! Thank you so much! I never thought i would need this much help with a pup before, my goodness. Your help is more than appreciated! :dance5:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online