Jessie2662

Aug 18, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi all! My husband introduced himself and our foster-pup Lola a few days ago but I wanted to jump in and ask everyone about their experiences sleep training.

Since the majority of Lola's life (all 18 weeks of it) was spent in a small crate with her brother at a pet store, her sleep habits are pretty much all over the place. Being an EB she obviously enjoys her naps, but when it comes time to go to bed in her crate she howls and whines like a crazy lady for a couple hours. We've always kept our past dogs in a crate in the dining room where our movements and bedroom TV wouldn't disturb them, but we've also never had such a velcro dog before. It breaks my heart when I hear her whine and cry because I know she just wants to see us and be close to us (important to note she also whines if she's on the couch and we leave the room).

Should we move the crate into the bedroom? Should we leave her as is? Should we have a radio or white noise machine on to sooth her? Just wondering how everyone else handles their clingy pups when it comes time to sleep train!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi all! My husband introduced himself and our foster-pup Lola a few days ago but I wanted to jump in and ask everyone about their experiences sleep training.

Since the majority of Lola's life (all 18 weeks of it) was spent in a small crate with her brother at a pet store, her sleep habits are pretty much all over the place. Being an EB she obviously enjoys her naps, but when it comes time to go to bed in her crate she howls and whines like a crazy lady for a couple hours. We've always kept our past dogs in a crate in the dining room where our movements and bedroom TV wouldn't disturb them, but we've also never had such a velcro dog before. It breaks my heart when I hear her whine and cry because I know she just wants to see us and be close to us (important to note she also whines if she's on the couch and we leave the room).

Should we move the crate into the bedroom? Should we leave her as is? Should we have a radio or white noise machine on to sooth her? Just wondering how everyone else handles their clingy pups when it comes time to sleep train!

Try a night in your room, she may just want to be near you guys & if she can see you - she will rest. I would test it out. Tyson sleeps literally right next to us - if we get up and move - he'll follow and lay wherever we are :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Jessie2662 My dogs have always slept in crates at night. I have always had their crates in the bedroom with us. Sometimes when they were little, I had a light blanket,or towel over it,except for the door. If they started to yelp, I would tell them it's bedtime-go sleep. You can't just go get them or talk to them too much if they start crying.
Mine all did well with being crated in my bedroom. I also had a "daytime" crate in a room, where you would crate them when I left in the daytime!(with radio on!)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We also have the crate in the bedroom..... when they were pups they slept in the crate, then once fully housetrained, they moved in to bed with us. During the day when not at home, they are in crates with a TV on

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree, move the bed into your room and see how that goes. ya know, maybe Lola just misses her brother?? everyone should have two bullies right??? :eek:

OP
J

Jessie2662

Aug 18, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks for the advice everyone! We'll see how she does tonight with the crate in our room :)

And believe me...I was 2 seconds away from taking her brother as well! Luckily he's found a foster home in Pittsburgh and Lola seems to be enjoying all the attention being on her for once :) She's already one spoiled pup...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, try monving it to the bedroom for a few months then you can move it to where you want after she gets a little older and used to the place.

OP
J

Jessie2662

Aug 18, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Night #1 in the bedroom was a success! Whined only a few times and then immediately fell asleep once the lights were off. She slept 7 hours with no accidents :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Night #1 in the bedroom was a success! Whined only a few times and then immediately fell asleep once the lights were off. She slept 7 hours with no accidents :)

Great news! That baby just wants to be near you :)

ober51

Aug 14, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Night two just as good! Let's hope this is the norm. Now if we can get her not to pee in the crate lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Night two just as good! Let's hope this is the norm. Now if we can get her not to pee in the crate lol

remove the bedding.... but also keep in mind, they can only hold their bladder for 1 hour more than they are months old (example .. 5 mths old.. hold for 6 hours)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online