rigglet

Jul 8, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston
Hi all. Let me start out saying that this isn't my first dog, just my first bulldog, and I know all the basics of potty training. I guess what I'm trying to determine is if this is just "normal" bully behavior, or if I'm doing something wrong for this breed/dog.

Winston is now 14 weeks old. He has been with us for about 6 weeks. He does great in his crate. Only has pee accidents in his crate if I leave him in there too long or I let him get a big drink late in the evening. He's able to stay in his crate from around 9 or 9:30 at night until 5 in the morning with no issue.

His troubles are out of crate. Although we take him out multiple times during the day (about every three hours) he continues to go in the house, which is understandable... accidents will happen. What has me frustrated is he gives no sign or indication that he needs/wants to go outside. I've raised Great Danes before and have two now. Typically by this time they've figured out the basics of this exercise and give you a sign. My little bully doesn't. He doesn't even try to hide it. He'll squat right in front of you while looking you dead in the eye.

He's been checked out by the vet and has no medical issues she can find.

So is it me? is it he breed? Or is my little guy just extra stubborn and I'm in for a long and bumpy ride?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Generally they can only hold it for one hour per month of age plus an hour so at 14 weeks you are looking at around 3 to 4 hours being about the top end he can hold it. Typically when potty training these guys you take them out every 2 hours day and night, and immediately after playing, napping and eating to get them going. Also, some bullies pick it up faster than others with some being house broken in a matter of weeks to others that take months to a year. Even then many seem to regress at some point between 8 months to a year old and then it all comes together.

OP
R

rigglet

Jul 8, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston
Thanks for the feedback Marine91. As I said in my post I'm familiar with potty training and the times involved. That's why I've been extremely impressed that Winston can already handle being in his crate all night.

What I'm struggling with is waking hours. For example we've been up just over 4 hours today and he has peed in the house 4 times, once right next to me. On all of these occasions he gave no indication that he needed to go outside.

Having done this, potty training, many times I'm concerned I'm doing something wrong for a bulldog. Things that have worked for my Great Danes do not seem to be working for him.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
my odie use to actually pee while he was sleeping.. such as a child.. he was young and i just figured maybe his bladder wasn't fully developed or something..
i remember one time i happen to be beside him just watching him sleep.. he was out, then all of a sudden he jumped up and there is a pee spot and he looked at me like "am i in trouble" i took him out and he peed or finished peeing.. i couldn't scold him because i truly believed it was an accident.. plus i'm not good at scolding any of them.. i'm a bad bulldog mom.. :moping:but they do get in trouble with worse things so they still know i"m the leader in most cases.. cant help it sometimes though.. its the eyes that make my heart melt.. go ahead shame me.. lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14483]rigglet[/MENTION] I have always had 4 0r 5 dogs at a time-(many different breeds)even when my children were born. I have learned that bribery works best with English Bulldogs.
Of course it is always easier to train them, when you have an older dog around a pup, but with the bullies, whenever they did their "biz" outside, I would praise them, act very excited, and tell them how good they were that they "pee peed" or "poopyed" outside, and gave them a special treat. When they went in the house(not on the puppy pad) I would tell them No pee pee in the house-pee pee OUTSIDE,(raised voice-but not yelling)as I cleaned it up. No treats for that.I did leave a puppy pad available, and if they went on that,that was okay. EBD's respond much better with "bribery"-so I have found. They do not do well with punishment or yelling at them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.