what is the best way to deal with a stubborn bulldog ?

stacey333

Aug 10, 2015
florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
tripper and bailey
So i finally got my first bulldog. He is about 3 1/2 they weren't sure.We have had him for almost a week and I am in love with him, he's been really good so far but today he wont go outside, or listen at all. he has went potty in the house twice..which he has been really good about that. He followed me in the garage then he wouldn't come back in..I feel like he is testing me..you guys have taught me so much so far on how to care for him so i figured someone had some advice...he doesn't follow any commands sit,stay etc..yet..i know its important to show him i'm the boss but wow when he doesn't want to do something he don't budge...but i just love him and cant get mad at him..

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So i finally got my first bulldog. He is about 3 1/2 they weren't sure.We have had him for almost a week and I am in love with him, he's been really good so far but today he wont go outside, or listen at all. he has went potty in the house twice..which he has been really good about that. He followed me in the garage then he wouldn't come back in..I feel like he is testing me..you guys have taught me so much so far on how to care for him so i figured someone had some advice...he doesn't follow any commands sit,stay etc..yet..i know its important to show him i'm the boss but wow when he doesn't want to do something he don't budge...but i just love him and cant get mad at him..

Yes, they are for sure stubborn, that will never change. We have to make it "worth it" for them. So I would implement training. Use treats (smaller ones for training since it may be constant) so show him the treat, then tell him the command. If he follows through - you reward & praise. It will definitely take time & alot of work & consistency on your part. A week is very little time. Think about how he feels, he's in a new environment and probably just getting acclimated. Getting mad won't help either one of you, lol. Be patient, work with him everyday, once he is comfortable in his new home he will come around. He will learn that if he follows instructions he gets a reward, etc.

I've had Tyson for years, and the boy is still stubborn, and requires coaxing or treats from time to time. Especially when cleaning his face, paws, etc. He lets me do it but then immediately goes to where his treats are and sits looking up at me. Like saying "ok mama, I was good, give me a treat" hee hee. Best of luck, I promise he will come around, just give him time.

OP
S

stacey333

Aug 10, 2015
florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
tripper and bailey
thanks for your advice...he is definitely worth any amount of time it takes...we have been doing that with the treats so i guess we are on the right track ...its kinda hard not to laugh at him when hes being stubborn..he is so silly

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
MEDICATION!! Just kidding, kinda.....No really, get some treats and when you are giving a command show him the treat and then reward when he listens. If he is potting in the house, try to get a schedule together and bring him outside at the set times with a treat and reward and praise like you are crazy, and he will get it. Good luck

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Um...obviously, I did not see Jessica's post!! Great advice Jess since it is exactly what I said!!! lol :smoochwink:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, they are for sure stubborn, that will never change. We have to make it "worth it" for them. So I would implement training. Use treats (smaller ones for training since it may be constant) so show him the treat, then tell him the command. If he follows through - you reward & praise. It will definitely take time & alot of work & consistency on your part. A week is very little time. Think about how he feels, he's in a new environment and probably just getting acclimated. Getting mad won't help either one of you, lol. Be patient, work with him everyday, once he is comfortable in his new home he will come around. He will learn that if he follows instructions he gets a reward, etc.

I've had Tyson for years, and the boy is still stubborn, and requires coaxing or treats from time to time. Especially when cleaning his face, paws, etc. He lets me do it but then immediately goes to where his treats are and sits looking up at me. Like saying "ok mama, I was good, give me a treat" hee hee. Best of luck, I promise he will come around, just give him time.

GREAT info!! :up:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, with EBD's the word "training" equals the word "bribery" because they actually train us and we think we are "training" them!!!:ROFL: If you listen REAL hard, you can hear them whisper "sucker....":yes: They're shrewd,I tell ya'

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.