Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How big a deal is it if bulldog doesn't go to crate on his own?

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How big a deal is it if bulldog doesn't go to crate on his own?

Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    He will begin to like the crate. It takes a while. My bully is 3 now and even last night she left me all alone in bed to go sleep in her crate! We haven't shut her in it in years, she just loves it.

I got her to start enjoying the crate by bribery. I'd only give her treats, special bones, new toys, etc in the crate. She thought the crate magically produced these things. I also never forced into the crate. If I needed her to go in because I was leaving/not watching her/sleeping time, I'd grab a treat or whatever and toss it in the crate while telling her "Go to your room". Then it got to the point that I could just say "Go to your room" and she'd rush in really excited, then I'd give her the treat, and shut the door.

We never used the crate as punishment either - if she needed a timeout (like when we were teaching her not to bite us), I'd put her in the bathroom instead.

We also never forced her out of the crate. If she chose to be in the crate, we didn't pull her out. Sometimes I would go to let her out and she'd just stay in there even though the door was open. This is important because it taught her that no one is allowed to touch her in the crate - so it's a safe space. If like a repairman comes to the house and she gets scared, she will go and crate herself because she knows he can't "get her" in there. She only associated the crate with positivity.

Now, she adores the crate. If I pack it up to take with us on trip, she gets super upset and will sit in the spot where it usually is and pout. She likes to leave us and go take naps in the crate during the day, and if she gets a special bone or something she doesn't want to share with us (rude), she'll go off and crate herself to eat it.

Crate training is the best, even though we don't really use it much now, it's great when you stay somewhere else and need a safe place to put your pup when you leave. Or like when we moved, have cleaners in the house, etc, it's so easy to have a spot she likes to put her!

Stick with it!
    She pretty much covered everything you need to know/do in here! Izzy too associated crate with a magical place where it produces peanut butter filled kongs! When I say "nite nite" she RUNS to the crate! Too cute

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Opie
    Likes (Received)

Opie doesn't mind his crate, but it's definitely not a sanctuary. When he was a puppy we didn't really get him introduced to his crate like we should have..oops. (it was our first dog and we didn't do much research on crate training to know) But he knows when it's bed time that it's time for him to go in there, very rarely will we catch him hanging out in there aside from night time. I wouldn't say it's a big deal at all. He will find his own niche and place he enjoys to be...ours happens to be our bed.

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Agreed he is still too young and with patience and consistency, he will know what his crate means. Though mine only used his crate for his first 3 days with us. He was never crate trained. He never really wants his "alone time" lol.

5. Likes harveyspecter liked this post
    Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member mackbob's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bob (Bobman)
    Likes (Received)

I really think crate preference depends on the dog! Both my dogs disliked sleeping in their crates. My bully, Bob, was easy to potty train using food. But he hates sleeping in his crate or being stuck in there. And being in a crate never stopped him from peeing in a crate! sometimes he would pee in it just because he hated it so much and was pissed about being in there. once i let him out it was all good! When i still had the crate out he would walk in and out and take his toys but never chose to rest there. Now he has a big tent and he loves it!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Elmo Loves his crate, he goes in it when we go off, we shut the door, if we did not Elmo would destroy furniture. Elmo runs in his crate when he knows it is his clean up time, to clean his booty and his wrinkles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads