Help, Daisy thinks her crate is for pooping

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hi all. Been 2 days with daisy and we have had a few crate accidents. Part of it is because the crates too big (I have a divider coming Monday), but she thinks it's her place to poop now. Seriously she just went in it specifically to poo. What do we do, please help.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The divider will help. In the meantime, start feeding her in there, since she wouldn't wanna poop where she eats.

Also, make sure you throw a party for her when she poops outside. I found it helpful to actually walk Bella to the door, so that she knows to walk to the door for potty. I'd say, "Wanna go potty?" and I'd walk her to the door.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The divider will help. In the meantime, start feeding her in there, since she wouldn't wanna poop where she eats.

Also, make sure you throw a party for her when she poops outside. I found it helpful to actually walk Bella to the door, so that she knows to walk to the door for potty. I'd say, "Wanna go potty?" and I'd walk her to the door.

:up: Great advice

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Good to hear!

It'll kick in, consistency, schedules, patience & as suggested, very clear
expectations, walking them to the door you want them to go to, use a
catch phrase, "Wanna go potty?", over the top praise (until trained) &
treat (can be a bit of kibble, cheese, etc) works wonders. As for accidents,
I find best to clean up quickly & not get on them. High praise & treat to
reward wanted behavior, no attention or negativity for unwanted behavior.
Good luck & let use know how Daisy progresses, such a Cutie Pie!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
The divider is necessary, that will definitely help. The big thing is to catch her in the act. If you catch her starting to potty in the crate, tell her NO, rush her outside, then praise her like crazy when she goes. A few times of this and she should understand very quickly :)

OP
J

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thankfully, we haven't had any accidents in the crate since this post. Now on the floor in the kitchen if no one is looking, that has happened, but for the most part she goes when we bring her out.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thankfully, we haven't had any accidents in the crate since this post. Now on the floor in the kitchen if no one is looking, that has happened, but for the most part she goes when we bring her out.

Good job, all! Give her sweet kisses for me ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online