Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: Prey Drive

  1. #1
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Prey Drive

    I know that Bulldogs aren't exactly known for their prey drive. Wellie apparently never got the memo.

    He chases pigeons, squirrels, joggers and bicycles. We got a two handle leash Amazon.com : The Grrrip Two Handled Dog Leash - 1" x 6' Black : Pet Leashes : Pet Supplies to keep him close to us so we have better control.

    We've been doing training at every opportunity but so far, it's not going anywhere.

    Does anyone else's bulldog do this? Chase anything that moves? I've also noticed that he's more alert around strangers lately. I don't want my baby love muffin turning into a protective dog. He's too sweet for that .


  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6206

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    Tyson chases after cats, but nothing else really. He'll stop and look at squirrels or birds, frogs... but won't go after them like he does cats!

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  3. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
  4. #3
    Dog Park Attendant Goob14's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    451
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    240

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    I know that Bulldogs aren't exactly known for their prey drive. Wellie apparently never got the memo.

    He chases pigeons, squirrels, joggers and bicycles. We got a two handle leash Amazon.com : The Grrrip Two Handled Dog Leash - 1" x 6' Black : Pet Leashes : Pet Supplies to keep him close to us so we have better control.

    We've been doing training at every opportunity but so far, it's not going anywhere.

    Does anyone else's bulldog do this? Chase anything that moves? I've also noticed that he's more alert around strangers lately. I don't want my baby love muffin turning into a protective dog. He's too sweet for that .
    Goob has a very strong "hunting" instinct. He will chase birds, squirrels, cats (but we don't let him get close), and rabbits. If anybody or anything catches his eye, he wants it. We have a lot of frogs out here and he just sniffs those for some reason (no real interest). We are in the same boat except that Goob is already extremely protective around strangers. We have to gate him off in the bedroom when company comes over. When neighbors stop to talk, I have to stay a good distance away from the conversation. He won't try to go after anybody in the ferocious, continuous type of way. He will just sit and lay around but if you get too close he will snap/lunge at you. No bites have ever occurred but we still worry that it COULD.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.


  5. Likes nycbullymama, 2BullyMama liked this post
  6. #4
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    YES, Finn does this too. Lately we've been sitting outside a lot more and I've been observing him. What he does is he sits and WATCHES. He looks for birds and squirrels and man, can he run! luckily the squirrels are faster though. I even told myself yesterday that he reminded me of a cat b/c of how he waits for birds to land and then runs after them. Thank goodness he hasn't caught anything (yet).




  7. Likes nycbullymama, 2BullyMama liked this post
  8. #5
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    I'm sorry you guys have the same issue, but I gotta say I'm glad we're not alone.

    My right wrist is sprained from trying to hold him back. Chris had a joint pop in his thumb trying to hold onto Wellie's old lead a few weeks back. Wellie saw a bike come before Chris did and took off. Took all of Chris' strength to keep him from running into the bicycle.

    And yes.. the watching (stalking).. when I see it, I do everything I can to get his attention, but it's almost impossible. I need to find better treats.


  9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  10. #6
    Dog Park Attendant Goob14's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    451
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    240

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    I'm sorry you guys have the same issue, but I gotta say I'm glad we're not alone.

    My right wrist is sprained from trying to hold him back. Chris had a joint pop in his thumb trying to hold onto Wellie's old lead a few weeks back. Wellie saw a bike come before Chris did and took off. Took all of Chris' strength to keep him from running into the bicycle.

    And yes.. the watching (stalking).. when I see it, I do everything I can to get his attention, but it's almost impossible. I need to find better treats.
    I saw the double handled leash you got. Have you ever tried a front lead harness? I have never used one personally but you clip the leash to their chest. If they pull, they end up doing a 180 and their body is turned toward you. The one below is just an example of one.

    Ultimate Control Dog Harness by Canine Equipment - Black at BaxterBoo
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.


  11. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
  12. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    I saw the double handled leash you got. Have you ever tried a front lead harness? I have never used one personally but you clip the leash to their chest. If they pull, they end up doing a 180 and their body is turned toward you. The one below is just an example of one.

    Ultimate Control Dog Harness by Canine Equipment - Black at BaxterBoo
    Interesting. Thanks for posting this, gonna show it to Chris.


  13. #8
    Dog Park Attendant Goob14's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    451
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    240

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for posting this, gonna show it to Chris.
    No problem...I'd hate to hear about more injuries from Wellie They pull so hard so fast...way before we have a clue!
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.


  14. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
  15. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    Winnie does run after squirrels and she actually ran down and caught a big black bird once in the backyard. I was chasing after her yelling "No! Drop it!" It did get away at the fence and managed to go under. She was so excited! But she only goes after small animals, no bikes or people.

    Rosie, a prior bully of ours used to stalk bunnies. It is hilarious to see a bulldog actually stalk something. But she could never catch one and eventually she just gave up and enjoyed watching them.

  16. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
  17. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,183
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11524

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    BANKS!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  18. Likes Manydogs, nycbullymama liked this post
  19. #11
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,844
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    1147

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    Bella, with everything.

    Also, she pulled herself out of the Easy Walk harness, which is a front-connecting harness. IMO, they are horrible if you have a strong, pulling bully.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}



    IG: @bellatheenglishbully

  20. #12
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: Prey Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
    Bella, with everything.

    Also, she pulled herself out of the Easy Walk harness, which is a front-connecting harness. IMO, they are horrible if you have a strong, pulling bully.
    Winnie also has a harness with the loop to attach the leash in the front. When she pulls, which she does, the harness ooches around until she is walking and pulling sideways. If I let the leash go under her front leg and come out behind it, she will go a little straighter, but I'm not so happy with it.

  21. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •