nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I know that Bulldogs aren't exactly known for their prey drive. Wellie apparently never got the memo.

He chases pigeons, squirrels, joggers and bicycles. We got a two handle leash Amazon.com : The Grrrip Two Handled Dog Leash - 1" x 6' Black : Pet Leashes : Pet Supplies to keep him close to us so we have better control.

We've been doing training at every opportunity but so far, it's not going anywhere.

Does anyone else's bulldog do this? Chase anything that moves? I've also noticed that he's more alert around strangers lately. I don't want my baby love muffin turning into a protective dog. He's too sweet for that :mellow:.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Tyson chases after cats, but nothing else really. He'll stop and look at squirrels or birds, frogs... but won't go after them like he does cats!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I know that Bulldogs aren't exactly known for their prey drive. Wellie apparently never got the memo.

He chases pigeons, squirrels, joggers and bicycles. We got a two handle leash Amazon.com : The Grrrip Two Handled Dog Leash - 1" x 6' Black : Pet Leashes : Pet Supplies to keep him close to us so we have better control.

We've been doing training at every opportunity but so far, it's not going anywhere.

Does anyone else's bulldog do this? Chase anything that moves? I've also noticed that he's more alert around strangers lately. I don't want my baby love muffin turning into a protective dog. He's too sweet for that :mellow:.

Goob has a very strong "hunting" instinct. He will chase birds, squirrels, cats (but we don't let him get close), and rabbits. If anybody or anything catches his eye, he wants it. We have a lot of frogs out here and he just sniffs those for some reason (no real interest). We are in the same boat except that Goob is already extremely protective around strangers. We have to gate him off in the bedroom when company comes over. When neighbors stop to talk, I have to stay a good distance away from the conversation. He won't try to go after anybody in the ferocious, continuous type of way. He will just sit and lay around but if you get too close he will snap/lunge at you. No bites have ever occurred but we still worry that it COULD.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
YES, Finn does this too. Lately we've been sitting outside a lot more and I've been observing him. What he does is he sits and WATCHES. He looks for birds and squirrels and man, can he run! luckily the squirrels are faster though. I even told myself yesterday that he reminded me of a cat b/c of how he waits for birds to land and then runs after them. Thank goodness he hasn't caught anything (yet).

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm sorry you guys have the same issue, but I gotta say I'm glad we're not alone.

My right wrist is sprained from trying to hold him back. Chris had a joint pop in his thumb trying to hold onto Wellie's old lead a few weeks back. Wellie saw a bike come before Chris did and took off. Took all of Chris' strength to keep him from running into the bicycle.

And yes.. the watching (stalking).. when I see it, I do everything I can to get his attention, but it's almost impossible. I need to find better treats.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I'm sorry you guys have the same issue, but I gotta say I'm glad we're not alone.

My right wrist is sprained from trying to hold him back. Chris had a joint pop in his thumb trying to hold onto Wellie's old lead a few weeks back. Wellie saw a bike come before Chris did and took off. Took all of Chris' strength to keep him from running into the bicycle.

And yes.. the watching (stalking).. when I see it, I do everything I can to get his attention, but it's almost impossible. I need to find better treats.

I saw the double handled leash you got. Have you ever tried a front lead harness? I have never used one personally but you clip the leash to their chest. If they pull, they end up doing a 180 and their body is turned toward you. The one below is just an example of one.

Ultimate Control Dog Harness by Canine Equipment - Black at BaxterBoo

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie does run after squirrels and she actually ran down and caught a big black bird once in the backyard. I was chasing after her yelling "No! Drop it!" It did get away at the fence and managed to go under. She was so excited! But she only goes after small animals, no bikes or people.

Rosie, a prior bully of ours used to stalk bunnies. It is hilarious to see a bulldog actually stalk something. But she could never catch one and eventually she just gave up and enjoyed watching them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella, with everything.

Also, she pulled herself out of the Easy Walk harness, which is a front-connecting harness. IMO, they are horrible if you have a strong, pulling bully.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Bella, with everything.

Also, she pulled herself out of the Easy Walk harness, which is a front-connecting harness. IMO, they are horrible if you have a strong, pulling bully.

Winnie also has a harness with the loop to attach the leash in the front. When she pulls, which she does, the harness ooches around until she is walking and pulling sideways. If I let the leash go under her front leg and come out behind it, she will go a little straighter, but I'm not so happy with it.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Winnie also has a harness with the loop to attach the leash in the front. When she pulls, which she does, the harness ooches around until she is walking and pulling sideways. If I let the leash go under her front leg and come out behind it, she will go a little straighter, but I'm not so happy with it.

Exactly. I think they work if your dog isn't very strong, or if your dog will stop when they feel the pressure from the harness. A stubborn (and strong!) dog will just keep pulling. Bella's Easy Walk is no match at all for her. The harness would twist around her barrel chest, slip out from under her leg, end up around her waist, and then come off!

Boooo!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally could seriously care less… I saw a bird not to far from him, and he didn't even seem to notice it. Roxie was all over that type of stuff, and I know he would get all excited about her barking and carrying on.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.