Just brought home our first bully. She's almost 6. Never been around cats. Help!

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
We just brought home our first bully. Her previous owner said she's great around all animals but she hasn't actually ever been around cats which I assume because when we came home she chased after my three cats and nearly gave them a heart attack. Please help I don't want anything bad to happen to my kitties and I don't want them to scratch her either.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will tag some members that have cats to try and give some advice

OP
O

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
Thank you. We also have a male dog and she's being really possessive of us. When he tries to get near us she blocks him so he can't get closer and this morning we called our dog over we were petting him and she came over and tried biting him in the neck twice. We are really scared and concerned. Her previous owner said "she's great around all other animals" but now we aren't so sure about that. :(

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you. We also have a male dog and she's being really possessive of us. When he tries to get near us she blocks him so he can't get closer and this morning we called our dog over we were petting him and she came over and tried biting him in the neck twice. We are really scared and concerned. Her previous owner said "she's great around all other animals" but now we aren't so sure about that. :(

Remember she is in a new home, new environment, its going to take her a little bit to adjust. She's probably just being defensive because of that. Imagine yourself in a new place - Please be patient with her, try to correct the bad actions, reward with a treat for good behavior. It may take at least a month for her to settle in. Try to be as loving as possible & not show fear bc they sense everything.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Remember she is in a new home, new environment, its going to take her a little bit to adjust. She's probably just being defensive because of that. Imagine yourself in a new place - Please be patient with her, try to correct the bad actions, reward with a treat for good behavior. It may take at least a month for her to settle in. Try to be as loving as possible & not show fear bc they sense everything.

YES ^^^^ not even thinking straight today! Thanks, Jess! Olive may have been great but with all the change to her routine and a new place to live... she is on edge and will protect. Did you by chance, take the dogs on a walk together before bringing her into the home? If not, you should walk them a few times a day today and tomorrow get them to pack and she will settle a little better but it will take about a month for her to relax and start to 'open' up

OP
O

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
Thank you all so much! I'm sure she is so confused with all this new change. We really love her already she's so sweet and good so far with our two daughters, we are willing to try whatever it takes. I also believe she might be in heat (I've never had a female dog before) and we would like to get her spayed, would this calm this behavior any? Also the biggest fear is our cats, right now we have them in our room with the door shut :(((

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you all so much! I'm sure she is so confused with all this new change. We really love her already she's so sweet and good so far with our two daughters, we are willing to try whatever it takes. I also believe she might be in heat (I've never had a female dog before) and we would like to get her spayed, would this calm this behavior any? Also the biggest fear is our cats, right now we have them in our room with the door shut :(((

She will come around I promise! Right now though, you have to set the house rules - set alphas, etc. So if you see her act out, a firm NO! keep it consistent so she learns. Also, like I mentioned earlier, reward good behavior. Once she's settled - she will learn to love her fur-siblings. But it may take time, this is all new.Thank you for providing her a loving home :)

OP
O

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
Thank you for all the support! This site is so great!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you for all the support! This site is so great!

There are so many AMAZING people here. You will never go wrong with these folks :D Chances are we all at some point have dealt with just about every scenario you can think of, with bulldogs, hee hee. Good & bad.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Well, just like us, she will have mood swings during cycle, but if she is currently in heat you will have to wait for cycle to end before you can spay. Talk with your vet for timing

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina

If she has never been spayed, did her previous owner breed her? I've heard once female bullies have been bred, they enjoy being the boss a little more. So she might just be figuring out where she fits in. Regardless of what her previous owners told her, I would take her to the vet and get her checked out -- you can ask about spaying.

To help her settle in, I suggest keeping her leashed to you inside the house and constantly rewarding her for good behavior. After a week or so, she can roam free. This will give her time to settle down and establishes your place as her boss.

OP
O

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
I'm not sure if she was bred before. I will try that. Thank you! :)

- - - Updated - - -

As far as treats go for rewarding good behavior what is a good treat? Would fresh fruits or veggies be ok?

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina

- - - Updated - - -

As far as treats go for rewarding good behavior what is a good treat? Would fresh fruits or veggies be ok?

Fresh fruits and veggies totally work. You can also figure out what her "high value" treat is, her favorite thing, and use it when you're asking her to do something she might not like, such as don't chase the cats. You can give her other treats for general good behavior. My older dog Ruckus will do anything for venison liver, lamb, or s piece of cheese. My youngest goes insane for bananas. Depends on the dog.

Keep us posted on her progress, and with some pictures of the pack!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

- - - Updated - - -

Just no grapes. And remove seeds from things like watermelon, etc.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.