Help Needed! Bully Male Developed Aggression!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hi guys,

My Tonka is a neutered male, and he will be 4 years old this July. Ever since he turned 3, he has started to develop some aggression issues. When he was younger, he was the sweetest boy! He LOVED other dogs. On walks, the other dogs that live in our building, and the dog park etc. he was so excited and would sit and wiggle and wait until they came near him and he was always the one to be submissive first and then playful. Even if a dog snapped at him, he remained calm/submissive.

Then at about 3 this started to change and now when we see other dogs in our building he lunges forward aggressively barking at them! There was a silver lab pup that he used to love to play with and now he hates it. He will literally pin her down, barking in her face and will never bite other dogs, but just sort of nip, with a soft mouth if you know what I mean by that. Last night on our walk he went up to a little dog to sniff and we thought he looked OK and then he lunged and started barking. People literally now think our dog is a "bully"!

If he is off or on leash, he does the same thing - will get right in their face barking at them aggressively. Thankfully they have all been very submissive and he hasn't gotten in the face of a mean dog. This happens regardless if it is me or my boyfriend walking him and it happens in our building as well as on walks.

Where did my sweet boy go? I am afraid to take him to the dog park or anywhere there are other dogs now. Does anyone know why this changed or have you experienced this? We are so frustrated :(.

Oh, and I should mention I have seen him bark at a couple people if they are just walking into our building or startle him in some way but with people he is usually OK.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hey Meggs -- good to see you!

Has anything else changed in the schedule or routine? Any other changes in his behavior at home.... how is he eating/drinking - all normal?

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
It's good to be back! :)

I can't think of anything that we have changed! Still in the same apartment complex - still eating as well as ever :) (same food) and drinking plenty of water. He is a healthy boy. The only thing I can think of is that he maybe got a little less exercise this past year and we hadn't gone back to the dog park as much, but we didn't go that often to begin with. It was not a drastic drop, though.

It's just so odd - he LOVES this one neighbor's bully - Maximus and plays just fine with him in their yard when we see him on our walks. He also gets along with my dad's two old pugs when we bring him over there. So it's not every dog he gets aggressive with but most of them.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's good to be back! :)

I can't think of anything that we have changed! Still in the same apartment complex - still eating as well as ever :) (same food) and drinking plenty of water. He is a healthy boy. The only thing I can think of is that he maybe got a little less exercise this past year and we hadn't gone back to the dog park as much, but we didn't go that often to begin with. It was not a drastic drop, though.

It's just so odd - he LOVES this one neighbor's bully - Maximus and plays just fine with him in their yard when we see him on our walks. He also gets along with my dad's two old pugs when we bring him over there. So it's not every dog he gets aggressive with but most of them.

Sometime, it just happens and I cannot think of anything that would cause it based on all you have stated. Our first bully, was wonderful until he turned 4, then he just wanted nothing to do with other dog.. not aggressive or mean, just would give warning shoots to stay away/leave me alone. Banks, well, she never took to other dogs overall, she had a few in her 'circle' but for the most part they were all ready for the smackdown in her mind. The only thing that stands out, even though it is minor... is less socialization..... it may just be he has his 'circle of buddies' .

As for the walks, be sure that you and or the b/f are not mentally apprehensive or anticipating his behavior to bark/lunge.... he will sense it and react as he needs to protect you from the other dogs

SeattleBullDoc

Jul 1, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
I would say many things can change a younger maturing dog's attitude towards other dogs and people.
There is a possible medical reason that he may be more grumpy and bossy, though. Low T4 levels have been occasionally noted to trigger such changes in behavior such as newly noted aggression in dogs. He is a bit young for this treatable condition, but it is worth ruling out.
Consider having his thyroid hormone level checked by your vet. It is a simple blood test and he can also be examined for any hidden issues or paif
that may have altered his disposition.
Once medical causes are ruled out, behavioral consultation with your/his vet or a canine behaviorist should be your next step.
Good luck and avoid stimulating his aggression by limiting his contacts for now.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say many things can change a younger maturing dog's attitude towards other dogs and people.
There is a possible medical reason that he may be more grumpy and bossy, though. Low T4 levels have been occasionally noted to trigger such changes in behavior such as newly noted aggression in dogs. He is a bit young for this treatable condition, but it is worth ruling out.
Consider having his thyroid hormone level checked by your vet. It is a simple blood test and he can also be examined for any hidden issues or paif
that may have altered his disposition.
Once medical causes are ruled out, behavioral consultation with your/his vet or a canine behaviorist should be your next step.
Good luck and avoid stimulating his aggression by limiting his contacts for now.

great post ---- I always forget about the darn thyroid!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I went out of my way to socialize Blue since he was 4 months old because of where we live (lots of people and dogs). He always did great, liked everyone and every dog.
Then at 2 we had him neutered. My sweet baby now turns into Cujo when he's around intact dogs. Dogs he never had a problem with are now public enemy #1.

All I can say is, it happens. We're just more careful these days and avoid dog parks.

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Thanks everyone! It's just so frustrating! I think at his last vet checkup we had a full blood panel done -- would that have turned up thyroid problems?

I am hoping this wasn't our fault for a lack of socialization. He does regularly see dogs in our building and dogs on walks - was taken to dog parks - and been exposed to friends/family member's dogs. Maybe that is not enough, though?

I was just thinking maybe this was just a shift as he entered into adulthood more??

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone! It's just so frustrating! I think at his last vet checkup we had a full blood panel done -- would that have turned up thyroid problems?

I am hoping this wasn't our fault for a lack of socialization. He does regularly see dogs in our building and dogs on walks - was taken to dog parks - and been exposed to friends/family member's dogs. Maybe that is not enough, though?

I was just thinking maybe this was just a shift as he entered into adulthood more??

You have to specify ask for thyroid to be checked

Grace Wong

Apr 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Guv'Nor
I have this same exact issue, he is aggressive to anyone walking by but great with everybody at the dog park or play day. I was Ina bad relationship and he did hear us fighting a lot and since then we separated. But this could be the cause of it all.
any tips? When he gets aggressive he gets Ina zone where I can snap him out of it....really fustrating

i used the Pet Corrector, and it helped tremendously with Walking without tugging but it doesn't help at all with aggression to strangers.

HELP

my guv is turning four next month

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have this same exact issue, he is aggressive to anyone walking by but great with everybody at the dog park or play day. I was Ina bad relationship and he did hear us fighting a lot and since then we separated. But this could be the cause of it all.
any tips? When he gets aggressive he gets Ina zone where I can snap him out of it....really fustrating

i used the Pet Corrector, and it helped tremendously with Walking without tugging but it doesn't help at all with aggression to strangers.

HELP

my guv is turning four next month

Back to basics with him.... : and also get his thyroid levels checked, if they are off, it will cause aggression issues

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I have a tea cup chihuahua. He was a proper bum hole. He went like that was when he was 2,
I stopped walking him as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. I d take the 3 easy bulldogs out. One day my daughter came and took him and it happened again ( barking and going for any dog ) I knew then I needed to do something. I got a small water bottle and when he saw another dog and kicked off I would skoosh him in the face and say NO. I would then walk back from where we were going so he wasn't taking control of the walk.

After 2 long weeks he's a better dog for it and now loves waking with the best dogs, bulldogs [emoji6]
67ea394898ef6cda1f7fbb6ce32f25de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Jimmy, your Chihuahua is Beautiful, I have 3 Chihuahua's. Merry, is 15 years young, we just adopted her from being put down at a high kill shelter, MeMe is 9 years young, she was also at a high kill shelter just minutes being put down we adopted her, and Heidi who is 4 years young I adopted her from a breeder.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Jimmy, your Chihuahua is Beautiful, I have 3 Chihuahua's. Merry, is 15 years young, we just adopted her from being put down at a high kill shelter, MeMe is 9 years young, she was also at a high kill shelter just minutes being put down we adopted her, and Heidi who is 4 years young I adopted her from a breeder.

I never thought I would say it but I love him. I never thought he was the dog for me. However I love how tough this wee guy is, nowt phases him. Shoulda called him Tyson after the great boxer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.