Advice for New Puppy and young kids

KathrynW

Jun 27, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
So we are bringing home our first bulldog puppy next week and I am slightly freaking out reading posts about the "shark phase". We have a 3 and 6 year old and I'm worried about the puppy biting them. Any advice or anything you've found helpful to keep the puppies from chewing up my kids?!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re-direct, re-direct. I am going to tag some skin Mommies to help out too

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
There is no avoiding it totally. It is a phase that all dogs go though but having lots of toys around to redirect them to when it happens is the best course. Everyone needs to understand that when the shark comes out to redirect them to something appropriate to chew on. It is going to take a lot of patience and persistence but it will eventually get better.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the redirection… and have LOTS of teething toys at the ready. Nylabone chews, stuffies, antlers (NO rawhides) and show the kids how to give the puppy a chew toy when/if he attacks their hands. I highly recommend that your kids help w/meal times, snacks, etc… so that your new baby will understand that the humans of the house are in charge. My grandson is 3 and he knows how to make Wally sit for a treat or for attention.

If things get "out-of-hand" put your baby in a time-out in a crate. Sometimes they just need to understand that a certain behavior is NOT accepted, and they will get the message that chewing on everyone is NOT allowed. This does NOT last forever, so just try and be patient.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I agree w/the redirection… and have LOTS of teething toys at the ready. Nylabone chews, stuffies, antlers (NO rawhides) and show the kids how to give the puppy a chew toy when/if he attacks their hands. I highly recommend that your kids help w/meal times, snacks, etc… so that your new baby will understand that the humans of the house are in charge. My grandson is 3 and he knows how to make Wally sit for a treat or for attention.

If things get "out-of-hand" put your baby in a time-out in a crate. Sometimes they just need to understand that a certain behavior is NOT accepted, and they will get the message that chewing on everyone is NOT allowed. This does NOT last forever, so just try and be patient.

:coolthumb: very sound advice there Lady.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:coolthumb: very sound advice there Lady.

Well after raising 3 bulldog puppies, I have been thru the wringer w/these guys… Lol :giggle: Of course they ALL had their special quirks…

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=2]
icon1.png
Introducing Children to New Puppies[/h]
Hi everyone, I've noticed that a lot of people have toddlers or young children and new puppies, and I also have a 5 year old grandson, and I have 3 nephews and 2 nieces who are all under the age of 6. They always get really excited when they are around the puppies, and can get the puppies quite excited as well. I found these really good tips on how to introduce children to new puppies or pets in general, and thought id share them.

Children positively love puppies, and why not? Something magical seems to happen between boys and girls (of all ages) and young animals, particularly puppies. Kids learn affection, compassion and responsibility by caring for puppies.
However, certain safeguards can help to set young children and their new puppies on the right path together from the very start.

Here are 10 tips for introducing a new puppy to young children
By following these simple steps, a family may maximize its enjoyment of a brand-new puppy, while giving the young canine a safe and secure start in the home.

1. Before the puppy arrives, read puppy picture books together
Parents or caregivers can pre-introduce children to puppy care by sharing colorful and informative picture books pertaining to dogs and pet care. A visit to the library, bookmobile or local bookstore can be a fun and educational excursion to prepare for a puppy's arrival.

2. Practice puppy handling with a plush toy dog
Puppies are cuddly, but they are also extremely fragile. Young children can learn to hold baby dogs gently by playing with furry toy puppies before the real puppy's advent.

3. Pick up puppy hazards in the home
By nature, puppies love to chew on nearly anything they encounter, from toys to household objects. Preparing for a puppy's entry into the home includes removing clutter (including small items that may cause a puppy to choke) and anything that may be destroyed by an over-eager puppy's chewing.

Young children should be warned about leaving toys out, where a puppy may chomp these treasured items to bits.

4. Prepare the new puppy's private space
The brand-new puppy will need a safe and quiet spot for resting. A basket, box, crate or small safety-gated room can be ideal. Children can be instructed to leave the puppy at rest when he or she is in this haven.

5. Supervise young children carefully with the new puppy
Even the sweetest, most gentle puppies may bite, nip or scratch--particularly in a panic. Children must always have adult supervision when visiting with a brand-new puppy.

6. Demonstrate delicate handling of the new puppy
The adult should always pick up the new puppy first, modeling gentle touching and secure, but soft, holding of the young pet.

At this point, it is important to warn the young children about keeping the dog's face and paws away from their own faces and necks. Puppy licking may be adorable, but nips and bites can be dangerous.

7. Pass the new puppy to each child in turn
With children seated on the floor, the adult may hand the new puppy to each child. In this way, the grownup is able to show the youngsters, one by one, how to hold the puppy in their laps without danger of dropping him or her.

8. Keep it quiet during interactions between young children and the new puppy
Loud, sudden noises should be avoided during the first visits with a new puppy. Yelling, screaming, stomping, crashing sounds can cause a puppy to panic.

9. Respect the new puppy's feeding and sleeping times
Children should be trained to give the new puppy some space while he or she is eating and sleeping. By keeping such moments sacred, children and adults can help to minimize the puppy's stress and to build mutual trust.

10. Assign only age-appropriate puppy care duties to young children
Children may learn responsibility by helping to care for the new puppy. However, the puppy will depend upon an adult for daily feeding, watering, exercise, discipline and training. Although young children may participate in the process, they need to be supervised and reminded regularly.

A proper puppy introduction can set the stage for many years of affection and enjoyment between the growing dog and the children that care for him or her.​

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online