Jamesduffy

Jun 28, 2015
Country
Nottingham
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Hi, I've recently signed up and I am looking for a bit of advice and help.

I recently collected my puppy Toby at 8 weeks, we've had him for a week and he is a lovely dog but there are some parts of his temperament I want to sort out now whilst he is young.

I understand that he is only a puppy and he doesn't know right from wrong and we need to teach him that but I need to know I'm doing the right things.

The last few days Toby has been jumping for clothing and feet, biting down and not letting go whilst trying to say "NO!" Loudly and using a high pitched yelp to startle him it to get him to stop, has now seeming not to be working as well. If you try to get the item out of his mouth he growls and pulls harder. He has already pulled on a family members arm and bruised it quite bad.

Any sort of poor behaviour we say "NO" offer him his chew, and if he still persists we put him in his crate. I don't want to raise a hand to him or flick his nose like other people have suggested to me but I'm worried that he might not let go of a young family member.

But my question is am I doing the right things and is there any advice anyone has for me?, or should I persist with my current methods? I just see him getting worse and I'm hoping he will get it eventually if I percivere with him.

Thanks, James

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This is normal puppy behavior-some are worse than others. Replacing the arm with a Nylabone, or a chew to that he can not swallow any parts of,(NO rawhides) a good idea.You could try a spray bottle of water,it works with some-and always say "no bite" with any method. A can with rocks in it,that makes noise, is also another method,used to distract them from biting. If he has something in his mouth, and you pull at it,to him it's a game, and he will pull back. If he has a grip on something that he shouldn't, you could try having a small treat to give him if he lets go,when you say "no bite"then give him something he can bite on! I know it is very hard when you have young children and a pup,and EBD pups are worse than most other pups,when it comes to biting. It will take a lot of patience,and being persistant to get through this, but it will all be worth it. Until he learns,and has lost his baby teeth, do not let anyone play tug of war with him,because that would encourage him to bite more. Hang in there-we have all been through this,and it does get frustrating at times. My pups were obsessed with my shoes while I walked,so I got a pair of tennies on sale,and gave the pair to the pups! This,too, shall pass(but not for awhile!)
I have never used their crate as punishment,as I did not want them to hate it. They sleep in their crate at night. I had a small pen(it folds up) that I put them in when I needed a break. Sometimes when they get tired,they get wound up,like kids do.

Last edited:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
James, your puppy is perfectly normal. This biting stage will last for maybe a couple of months more. My puppy Winnie was a terrible biter. Distraction and substituting a chew toy didn't work with Winnie--neither did yelping, she just didn't care! So, we got a spray bottle of water, and we'd squirt her and say "no bite!" This was more effective. After a while, I could just pick up the bottle and she would stop without me squirting her. Sometimes she would talk back to let me know she didn't like it. The only drawback is that sometimes when she would bite, we wouldn't have the bottle with us! By the time she was 4 months old, she had quit biting, and now at a year she wouldn't dream of biting anyone. But it was a long couple of months. My husband and I are old and have thin skin, hubby takes a blood thinner, and our arms were continually torn up. I also wore the same pants all the time, because they had holes in them from the biting and tug or war every time I put them on. Sometimes I couldn't even walk, because she was biting my feet and pants and shoes.
your Bella will outgrow this phase, just be patient.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I remember my first bully puppy, Daisy, who was also a bad biter. My youngest son was about 6 at the time. I was much younger then and the biting didn't bother me then as much as it does now. Anyway, I remember Sam getting up on the couch with his knees up to his chest and feet out of Daisy's reach, saying, "Mom, can't we please just take her back?!"

I forgot got about the coins in a can--that can work well. And there is also a product we got at the pet store called "Pet Corrector." It's a small red can of compressed air, when you press the nozzle (point it away from your dog) it makes a real loud hissing noise that will pretty much startle them into stopping unwanted behavior.

OP
J

Jamesduffy

Jun 28, 2015
Country
Nottingham
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Thank you so much for your replies, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong I will try the spray bottle method and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Also one other thing, I've tried to prepare him for the lead but he chews the absolute hell out of
It as soon as put it near him and he lays down when I try and walk him! Any tips on making him a bit more friendly towards the lead?!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is normal puppy behavior-some are worse than others. Replacing the arm with a Nylabone, or a chew to that he can not swallow any parts of,(NO rawhides) a good idea.You could try a spray bottle of water,it works with some-and always say "no bite" with any method. A can with rocks in it,that makes noise, is also another method,used to distract them from biting. If he has something in his mouth, and you pull at it,to him it's a game, and he will pull back. If he has a grip on something that he shouldn't, you could try having a small treat to give him if he lets go,when you say "no bite"then give him something he can bite on! I know it is very hard when you have young children and a pup,and EBD pups are worse than most other pups,when it comes to biting. It will take a lot of patience,and being persistant to get through this, but it will all be worth it. Until he learns,and has lost his baby teeth, do not let anyone play tug of war with him,because that would encourage him to bite more. Hang in there-we have all been through this,and it does get frustrating at times. My pups were obsessed with my shoes while I walked,so I got a pair of tennies on sale,and gave the pair to the pups! This,too, shall pass(but not for awhile!)
I have never used their crate as punishment,as I did not want them to hate it. They sleep in their crate at night. I had a small pen(it folds up) that I put them in when I needed a break. Sometimes when they get tired,they get wound up,like kids do.

GREAT advice!!! ^^^^ :up:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for your replies, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong I will try the spray bottle method and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Also one other thing, I've tried to prepare him for the lead but he chews the absolute hell out of
It as soon as put it near him and he lays down when I try and walk him! Any tips on making him a bit more friendly towards the lead?!

Bribe him with treats..... this tends to happen with some bulldogs.... they just do not want to walk, but do not give in to him, once you do, OH BOY, he will never walk. good luck

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs wear harnesses,instead of collars. When I had the big dogs, they taught the pups to walk on lead. When I had to do it myself;)With the harness on, I would hold the leash straight up,and say "quit" every time they tried to bite it. With a harness, you can try to drag them along more, without hurting their neck/throat.Have some "special" smaLL treats,only for when he walks a little,then give him one,and tell him how wonderful he is! Praise and bribery(with other breeds,they call it "training":ROFL:)@Jamesduffy

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.