UGH?!?! 20 week old being the devil.

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Okay!! I posted about Spanky's behavior when he was like 13 weeks old or something like that (biting, lunging, barking, growling)...and after all of your responses, I felt more confident...and then shortly after Spanky was an ANGEL. He has been so very good from weeks 14/15 up until last week...he is now 20 weeks and has become DEVIL DOG again. Now, he is teething really bad right now as he has all of his baby canines out and adult one's cutting through. Is this why he is being absolutely crazy?? I would like to answer this myself and say YES, but I guess I'm really just looking for a little reassurance. :pray: Yes, he is teething....but at 20 weeks you would think he'd know a little better...he was doing good with bite inhibition before, but that seems to be out the window now? I don't even hardly have to do anything and he freaks out at me and is RELENTLESS. Please tell me that he is still just being a puppy :w00t: .....

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Okay!! I posted about Spanky's behavior when he was like 13 weeks old or something like that (biting, lunging, barking, growling)...and after all of your responses, I felt more confident...and then shortly after Spanky was an ANGEL. He has been so very good from weeks 14/15 up until last week...he is now 20 weeks and has become DEVIL DOG again. Now, he is teething really bad right now as he has all of his baby canines out and adult one's cutting through. Is this why he is being absolutely crazy?? I would like to answer this myself and say YES, but I guess I'm really just looking for a little reassurance. :pray: Yes, he is teething....but at 20 weeks you would think he'd know a little better...he was doing good with bite inhibition before, but that seems to be out the window now? I don't even hardly have to do anything and he freaks out at me and is RELENTLESS. Please tell me that he is still just being a puppy :w00t: .....
He is now a teenager and like all teenagers, he is being a brat. A lot of re-direction, exercise, and a few tears shed got me through this stage. It is completely normal. Sometimes you will have to reinforce basic training, but this too shall pass. Good luck! :w00t:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I promise you this faze will pass… try to keep him occupied if possible, a tired puppy is a better behaved pup. Since the weather is warmer you can try tug-of-war, ball or hide and seek in the house.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
All normal my dear :) He's still just youngin' - these phases will pass as he grows. Keep on training training training, and the outcome once he grows out of it will be WONDERFUL :)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
hehe.....he gave you a false sense of security as they all are capable of doing. Sounds familiar......perfect little angel and then out pops the devil dog. This will happen now and taper off for a little bit and then there are the terrible twos........yeap. Thats when things get really interesting......advice: patience, patience and more patience. If eyes are not on him, crate him. He must have full supervision and then even after he is two you may have to face the fact that he could be a life-time chewer. Bullies love to chew.......antlers are a good choice as well as uncooked large beef bones from the butcher. Uncooked only through because the cooked beef bones splitter. Good luck!

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I always think I want another puppy and then I remember this phase. I loved frank but I really did not like him at that time! Haha, they can be such little brats. This will pass quickly and soon you'll forget all about it and start wanting another! :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Ha!ha! I call it "just when you think it's safe to go back in the water" phase! After such hard work getting them not to bite, and they are doing pretty well,all of a sudden
teething-great white shark shows up. Hang in there-sometimes at this age they will have a few in house accidents,too. They keep you from getting complacent.
Hang in there,don't give up,keep at it,one day the frog will be your prince, and you will be rewarded for all your hard work.
@christaleigh123 frogprince.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yep -- and at around 8 mths, it will kick in again :facepalm: redirect, redirect, redirect

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
lots of Bitter Apple. Spray it everywhere he bites. I would spray it on my fingers, toes and clothes.

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Oh goodness! Thanks to you all...the reassurance really helps! (except for knowing there is more to come!) :( cool, calm, and collected, RIGHT? haha :ROFL:

BustersOwner

May 3, 2015
Chicago Burbs
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
I'm having the same issues with Buster and we also call him Devil dog. Lol. I can't beleave that he and so many others are like this cause my last bullie was such an angel to us his whole life. Yeah he chewed on furniture and stuff but never on us.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.