Attacking and barking at other dogs

bully602

Sep 8, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo/Cheena/Chevy
My 1 year old male is TERRIBLE with other dogs, when he was a pup he used to play just fine with our two cats and other dogs around him, it seems like lately whenever he knows any other dog is around he goes absolutely crazy. It started off with him just barking at them like crazy but would never bite them but now he attacks as well, last week we took our dog to a family members house to go swimming and he attacked a boxer and tried to bite her several times. I restrained him and kept telling him no etc but he would not listen AT ALL. We also have a 7 month old female and he plays around with her just fine... I have tried to off leash train him and take him on walks around where I know other dogs are and give him treats as we get close but when he is in "ATTACK" mode he doesn't even want the treats he is too focused on trying to destroy the other dogs :(

He is neutered as well, any ideas or other things I can try? HE is absolutely adorable around humans and shows no signs of aggresion to any humans even if they are strangers... but any other type of dog and FORGET ABout it

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would advise getting a reliable trainer involved to see how to handle him… I will tag other members who have had this issue w/their babies. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My easy answer is that some dogs just don't like other dogs. I feel for you b/c one of my boys, Finn, cannot have play dates with other dogs for similar reasons that you describe. It's unfortunate b/c my other one Tate loves other dogs and mostly plays with them well so when we have a dog over, I have to leave Finn inside the house.

A good starting point is a trainer/dog behaviorist to see what's going on. I know when I placed Finn in a new daycare, they wanted to see a "personality" test and he actually did fine. Strangely, he's very passive and shy at daycare and doggy park settings. It's when I'm around or when he's at home that he becomes very protective and territorial and barks like a madman at other dogs.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think he is guarding you. I would get a trainer in t help before this behavior really gets set in.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree -- it seems he may be guarding you... a trainer in home is necessary to evaluate his need and help you correct it. Also, if you are nervous or anticipate his reaction to another dog/person -- he senses this and reacts because he feels the need to protect you

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Years ago my sister and I both had dobermans. When I went to visit her,the dogs were meeting for the first time. We took them in the backyard on leashes to meet. They wanted to attack each other. Just wouldn't be friendly. I thought about it for a minute,and told her-let's switch dogs,maybe they are protecting their "moms". We did that,
and they started to sniff each other-then started acting playful. We let them loose(in fenced yard) and they played for a long time,and were friends.
If you know someone besides yourself,who would be willing to walk the dog-you could determine if he was protecting you-or he just doesn't like dogs! Then you might have a clue to start with. Just an idea to try.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online