Help Needed! Going after other dogs at daycare

MaxTheBullsog

Jun 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I am the very proud mom of Maximus the Bulldog. Max is going to be 2 in August, has been fixed and PRAISE GOD has not had any
"bulldog issues" other then ear infections that was food related. I dont have children living at home so My Max is an only child
Since my husband and both work.... we found an amazing doggy daycare that is very knowledgeable in the "flat nose" breeds
and Max has been going since he was 6 months old..... WITH THAT SAID

He has had 2 instances now where he goes after another dog.... one was an australian shepard and one was a yellow lab
Because of his weight he is in the "big dog group" but the handlers make sure he isnt outside all day like they are

Hes never acted that way in front of me when hes playing with my friends dogs so I want to believe that he gets overstimulated and reacts

After this second time the owner said he would be put in their "special needs" group which means more one on one with handlers
and more chillax time

Any suggestions/ideas on why he might be doing this and how you handled it
Thank You!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

I agree sound like he is over-stimulated, but it could also be that he is beginning to think daycare is his 'second home' and is policing the other dogs. I used to work at a dog daycare and my girl Banks was the same way in the 'bigs' group, they switched her over to the 'littles' section and she fell inline because she did not have to assert 'her' authority -- basically, she did not feel the need to prove she could kick butt. Ask the day care staff if they can try that with Maximus before special needs section.

Also, does he go to day care everyday or just a few days a week?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I bet they are teasing him. I bet the Australian shepherd said something along the lines of "what happened to your face? Did you run into a wall?"

That's what happened to Vegas at daycare. I pulled him out when he got sent home with a note that said "Vegas needs to learn how to respect other dog's bubbles". :bang:

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I bet they are teasing him. I bet the Australian shepherd said something along the lines of "what happened to your face? Did you run into a wall?"

That's what happened to Vegas at daycare. I pulled him out when he got sent home with a note that said "Vegas needs to learn how to respect other dog's bubbles". :bang:

yup. Something provoked him. Maximus must have been told that his breathing is a little nasal and shallow and what is up with your tails. His body was also compared to that of a hippo. He was just insulted and that got to his skin, i think. (lol)
LOL.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Seriously though....Orion is a nut around other dogs. It's embarrassing. She is a little brat. Just a littttttle bit sassy.

Vegas's personality started to change. Not sure if it's his epilepsy medication or what....but when they sent him home with that note....I rolled my eyes. How do you tell a dog to mind his space and to stay out of the space of other dogs? I thought the request was ridiculous and we haven't been back since.

Ok....I admit. Vegas has a weird way of initiating play. He likes to jump in the face of other dogs and they take that as a sign of aggression. He is so submissive though. It was just better to pull him than to risk injury to him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.