anxiety, compulsive licking/pacing/rough play

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Help! anxiety, compulsive licking/pacing/rough play

a lot of issues going on here. let me try and sum it up best I can.

frank is seeming really anxious lately. and for the past few days he wonā€™t hang out with us in the living room. usually every night heā€™ll come up and snuggle with me on my chair. but he wonā€™t even do that anymore. his ears are always going back for no reason it seems. the past few nights heā€™s been pacing around as well. never really settling down. heā€™s also jumpy. Iā€™ll walk up near him and heā€™ll startle a bit. and the LICKING, oh god. heā€™s been licking his paws like crazy. it seems like he always does it before he settles down to take a nap or go to sleep. Iā€™m fairly certain itā€™s not allergies but I canā€™t be 100%.

I also know this can be a sign of pain/discomfort. Iā€™m just not sure what to tell the vet if I were to schedule an appointment? Do I demand X-rays, what kinds of things should she be looking for?

Iā€™ve noticed that my boyfriend plays rough with him. he thinks of him more as a human than a dog, and he doesnā€™t realize when heā€™s put frank in a position he doesnā€™t like. Heā€™s a dog, heā€™s not a human. when heā€™s in distress heā€™ll give off subtle signals. he canā€™t tell my boyfriend when he doesnā€™t like somethingā€¦ and itā€™s hard for my boyfriend to understand this. they also play this ā€˜gameā€™ where my boyfriend gets down and theyā€™ll chase each other around, and sometimes my boyfriend will hide behind a chair and scare frank. I really think this is contributing to franks anxiety? We talked about it a lot last night and heā€™s agreed and decided to be more gentle with frank. He thinks maybe he could just be growing out of his cuddling/following me around behavior but I didn't think that's something that goes away as a dog gets older? Frank just turned one.

Iā€™m thinking he could be bored and unstimulated. Heā€™s been really cooped up lately and hasnā€™t been getting a ton of attention since weā€™ve both been busy. frank becomes a different dog when we take him to other peoples houses. he's running around, going up to people and having a great time. but in our house he just seems so bored and depressed.

really in my gut I feel like thereā€™s something more going on and I canā€™t figure it out.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It can be one of two things. Either something is bothering him, and this is how he's expressing it OR he really did acquire some form of dog anxiety. If you take him in, ask for a full checkup, maybe some blood work, and bring a stool sample. I know that there is bully prozac [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] gives it to one of her boys, and it has really helped. Before going there though, double check and see what the vet says. You know Frank, and if you know this is not normal behavior for him, I would get it checked out. I don't think the cuddle/following around is something they grow out of. Tyson is 9, and if I stop too short he'll run into the back of my knees, and must always be right next to us.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds to me like he is having some kind of discomfort. is he peeing and pooping normally,and the usual amounts.? Try giving him a famotidine 20 mg. to see if that helps at all. It is like a generic pepcid. Maybe his belly is bothering him. Take him for a walk, and see if he acts better when you come back. If it continues, I would make a vet visit.
Write down everything that worries you so you can tell the vet. You know your dog better than anyone!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would have him thoroughly checked by a vet. It sounds to me like something medical.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I would probably take him in for a check-up @madie 4589. What Lynn said about writing down everything that concerns you is a good idea. I know I've taken dogs to the vet before when they just don't seem to be themselves, when I suspect something is wrong. These are usually pretty unproductive vet appointments, because my vet seems to want something specific to go on--not just "she doesn't feel good." Imagine that!! I will take that advice next time, to write stuff down before I go. I hope Frank is feeling better and back to his cuddly little self soon!

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
AHH!! I just remembered an incident. last sunday we were watching game of thrones and frank jumped up onto my chair with a chew toy. he got a little excited, and next thing I knew he was falling off the side of the chair, knocking over the end table and lamp as he went. the lamp crashed into the wall and I grabbed for frank to try and pull him back up. causing him to be frightened and do his little scream he does.

since then, he hasn't come up on my chair with me. wow. how did I forget that??!! I'm hoping that incident is all that's wrong with him, and in time he won't be scared of the chair anymore.

now to assess the paw licking....

should I try benedryl and monitor him to see if he still licks? would that rule out allergies?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
AHH!! I just remembered an incident. last sunday we were watching game of thrones and frank jumped up onto my chair with a chew toy. he got a little excited, and next thing I knew he was falling off the side of the chair, knocking over the end table and lamp as he went. the lamp crashed into the wall and I grabbed for frank to try and pull him back up. causing him to be frightened and do his little scream he does.

since then, he hasn't come up on my chair with me. wow. how did I forget that??!! I'm hoping that incident is all that's wrong with him, and in time he won't be scared of the chair anymore.

should I try benedryl and monitor him to see if he still licks? would that rule out allergies?
Brutus licks his paws and the couch (thank god it is leather) right before he goes to sleep. I think it is his way of relaxing. you can try to wipe his paws off when he comes inside, but unless he is causing problems to the area by licking, I would leave it alone. As far as the incident, that is definetly enough to cause his anxiety. give him a bit, then try to give him treats so he can associate the chair with good again. Poor baby, give him hugs and kisses from aunt Rosalie :smoochwink:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie

That's why he isn't snuggling! Of course it is! One of my bullies used to love licking the dishes in the dishwasher while I loaded it. One time the bottom rack rolled all the way out and scared the poop out of her--she ran like the wind to get away from that diabolical rack. She never licked the dishes again and always gave the dishwasher a wide margin and a dirty look when she walked by forever after that. Maybe you can lure Frank back into your chair with treats!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Brutus licks his paws and the couch (thank god it is leather) right before he goes to sleep. I think it is his way of relaxing. you can try to wipe his paws off when he comes inside, but unless he is causing problems to the area by licking, I would leave it alone. As far as the incident, that is definetly enough to cause his anxiety. give him a bit, then try to give him treats so he can associate the chair with good again. Poor baby, give him hugs and kisses from aunt Rosalie :smoochwink:

agree! paw licking can be anxiety too.... but I would also wipe his paws when coming in from outside and see if it helps

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great advice & help from everyone...as always;)

I'm just sending loving hugs & saying prayers the
cause of behavior becomes known and fixed asap.

It very well could be his fall causing anxiety now.
Our bullies are sensitive & get traumatized easily.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.