When is it time to lose the crate? If ever.....

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
Hello Bully friends. Looking for some advice.....(first bully)

my Charlotte is 15 months old, I've had her since 8weeks and opted to crate train her. We progressed well to what I call a "condo" - her crate, always open, in a 10x10 gated area - for when we aren't home and/or sleeping.potty training is great with some " accidents" here and there overnight. I've been testing leaving her out and about for short intervals with mixed results ( I want to leave her free) Anything she finds- she chews- iPads,cellphones,remotes, shoes -you name it. She has plenty of toys and exercise -Upside to this is we make sure everything is put away. Not so easy with the babies toys...lol

It's almost like she's a hyper puppy still, I rarely see the sleepy snugly bully.

Is this expected? Suggestions?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Some do better than others when it comes to free roaming. Sounds like you have a chewer on your hands so it may still be some time yet. My 2yo is a chewer as well but as I work from home the only time she is in her crate is for meals and at night. If we are gone for a short period we make sure nothing is where she can get it and then she is confined to roughly half the house. If we are going to be gone for longer than an hour or so we keep her in her play pen in the front room that looks out the window. It has a bed, water dish and some of her toys in but she usually sleeps. In our case I don't ever see us totally getting rid of the crate but hopefully in time you can if you want to.

Best thing to do would be take sure everything is picked up and slowly start expanding the area they are allowed in while you are gone.

OP
Miss Charlotte

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
Thanks so much for your experience--- never even considered that she may never totally roam free. We'll take it slow and see what happens

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Best thing to do would be take sure everything is picked up and slowly start expanding the area they are allowed in while you are gone.

^^^agree^^^

Always make sure everything is picked up. Then start slowly. We started with small increments, so leaving him for just 30 mins, then an hour, then a couple hours, etc.

The most important part is making sure nothing is in reach that is edible. I too would give it a little more time. Another thing I found in the beginning is that even though we left him out, we left the door to the crate open & he'd still sleep there. I guess it's a safe place for them. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Todd gave you great advice. My Winnie is a chewer too, and I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to let her have the run of the house when we are gone. My last three bullies did fine with the run of the house, I'm thinking at around a year old. Winnie is 11 months and I don't think she'll be ready at a year. We are home with the dogs nearly all the time and I guess we'll have to crate them when we leave for a while longer. Winnie is not as much of a couch potato as my other bullies were. They seemed totally happy to sleep on the couch or in the bed while they were alone in the house!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When ever I started to leave each young dog loose, I started out gradually. First for about 1/2 an hour,then a little longer each time. They sleep in their crates at night,just because that is what they are used to. Dogs are all different. Mine(so far) have been trustworthy,even if alone all day. Some can never be trusted,and it is safer for them to be crated if you are gone,in case they should find things to swallow.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
She's still young... Boeboe and Bennie would chew stuff too when they were that age but now they won't touch anything:) A crate never crossed my mind unfortunately, it would have helped me immensely at the chewing stage of their life. Once I came home and Bennie had been on our bed chewing up a down feather pillow. I think I found feathers in the house to the day we moved out, lol.

Be careful if she's a chewer, sometimes they swallow stuff and that can cause obstruction, also batteries are dangerous if she would chew or swallow them:( My dogs have chewed the craziest things even though I'm super careful not to leave anything where they can reach it:unsure:

I think in time you'll probably be able to leave her roaming free:)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My girls and never to be trusted, ever. I left Amber out starting when she was about 20 months old and she did so good for months. Then one day I came home and the house was a shambles; cushions destroyed, curtains ripped from the ceiling, she went through the house like a tornado. Destroyed her new bed, I mean the works. Now, if eyes aren't on her she goes in her crate and so does Ruby. I don't care if I am on the property in the pastures working with the cattle; if eyes aren't on them then they are in their crate. I think they might spend about 3 hours a day off and on in the crate, most of the time they are out with my daughter at home since it is summer now. They do just fine int he crate and my house is safe. Never ever give up the crate; they may not get you right away but eventually they will lose their minds and you will be lost for words. Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My Molly was granted no crate when she turned six. Yes, six!! When she was lazy most of the day I figured she would finally not cause trouble. And guess what? ....she spent most of her time looking for her crate and was terribly confused. For months! so I had to give her back her crate. I found her sleeping in the weirdest spots, in the crack between the tub and the toilet, behind bedroom doors shoved up against the wall, under the desk, she was looking for any place that was even close to being in a crate.

Moral of the story is they like their crate!! I will also now put her in the crate if I am not home because I do believe she feels more secure in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online