Leash problems!

SalkaSunIceland

May 27, 2015
Country
Iceland
Bulldog(s) Names
Salka
My dear little 3 month old Salka will NOT walk on a leash. She just stands there with a huge frown and just wont move. I have tried everything, but nothing seems to work. And the thing is the second I take the leash off she walks right next to me and doesn't leave my side.

What can I do? I have already talked to a trainer, still wont budge.

:unsure:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
My dear little 3 month old Salka will NOT walk on a leash. She just stands there with a huge frown and just wont move. I have tried everything, but nothing seems to work. And the thing is the second I take the leash off she walks right next to me and doesn't leave my side.

What can I do? I have already talked to a trainer, still wont budge.

:unsure:

i just tagged you to read a thread posted yesterday about exactly your problem. You and Salka are in good company!:yes:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Try getting a longe line, it is a 20 ft lead for horses, or they may have a similar long lead for dogs. If you can have it on her, and walk a good distance away from her,she may decide to catch up with you! A lot of pups(especially EBD's ) are hard to get started on a leash. That way, she may feel that she is not tethered, and walk to you! Hope this helps! @SalkaSunIceland

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Maybe put the leash on her randomly just for a few minutes here and there so she gets used to it... I have had that problem with dogs before, but it was more the collar than the leash, so I started to put the collar on them just for a while to show them it's ok. Also bulldogs (and actually any dog) will benefit from a harness if you're not already using that:) I think in general a harness will feel less strange for a dog since it doesn't pull on the neck... I think she'll come around once she realize how fun walks are, mine go crazy if they hear me pick up the leash, lol.

OP
S

SalkaSunIceland

May 27, 2015
Country
Iceland
Bulldog(s) Names
Salka
Thanks a bunch for all the advice :)

We had a good walk today BUT she didn't have her harness nor her leash on....naughty mummy...
I was just wondering if I should put on the harness mid-walk and then after after a short while put on the leash. I always take lots of nice treats with me but she just won't move one muscle! I have never had this problem with a dog begore haha! :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks a bunch for all the advice :)

We had a good walk today BUT she didn't have her harness nor her leash on....naughty mummy...
I was just wondering if I should put on the harness mid-walk and then after after a short while put on the leash. I always take lots of nice treats with me but she just won't move one muscle! I have never had this problem with a dog before haha! :D

that is a good idea... give it a go and see how she reacts. also, use a high value treat to really motivate her. Bulldogs are like no other, they are really deciding if what you are asking is worth their trouble :D Where as, most breeds just want to please, a Bulldog wants to decide

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.