Help Needed! Pouncing / Mounting / Dominance; how do I get it to stop?

Denver651

Apr 30, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Lou
Question

I have a 4 month old EB that is very dominant when playing with other dogs. He gets nipped by nearly every dog that he plays with because they get fed up with his constant pouncing. He puts his paws on there head and does not stop no matter how big the dog is. He does not submit to other dominant dogs either. Whether 1 minute or 1 hour he will continue fighting for dominance with them.

Is there anything I can do to stop him from doing this? I want him to be able to meet dogs on walks without angering them with his actions. I've tried discipline and found many things online but nothing has worked. It's even gotten worse as he's gotten older. He's a big boy for his age, almost 32 lbs, so I want to make sure this stops before he gets to big and crushes little dogs.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

image.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Question

I have a 4 month old EB that is very dominant when playing with other dogs. He gets nipped by nearly every dog that he plays with because they get fed up with his constant pouncing. He puts his paws on there head and does not stop no matter how big the dog is. He does not submit to other dominant dogs either. Whether 1 minute or 1 hour he will continue fighting for dominance with them.

Is there anything I can do to stop him from doing this? I want him to be able to meet dogs on walks without angering them with his actions. I've tried discipline and found many things online but nothing has worked. It's even gotten worse as he's gotten older. He's a big boy for his age, almost 32 lbs, so I want to make sure this stops before he gets to big and crushes little dogs.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

View attachment 87823

Hi & Welcome!! Your boy is precious (omg that hat - i love it!), however Big Lou is still just a pup at 4 months. Its completely normal for him to be playful, and excited. Its going to take training. Repetition. When you walk him or have him around other dogs, use a harness so he's easier to control & you're not having to pull on his neck. Try to redirect him if he gets too hyper. Keep treats with you at all times to help reward good behavior. I hate that I can't offer better help, but its really going to take constant, repetitive training.... he's still very young & our breed is extremely stubborn.

We use the Julius K9 harness for Tyson, it has a handle on the back, it helps SO much with controlling him, and even moving his big butt!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh my.. what an adorable puppy.. that hat is too much cuteness..

Bulldogs play rough, I'm not convinced it's about dominance. Other breeds play a little differently and that's what usually leads to fights.

Both of mine are always pouncing and using their paws to push each other down. They also both bite each other on the jowls, bark, may growl a little etc. To others, it looks like they're fighting, or trying to ascertain their dominance over the other, in reality, it's all a game.

Problem is, non-bull breeds aren't as rough. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it other than have him play with similar breeds.

eta: look for bulldog meet up groups in your area. It's a great way for him to play with his own and socialize him.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@nycbullymama has hit the nail on the head!! I have three that play so rough, it sounds like a horrible fight.Most times it is just the way they play. Number 4 stays out of it because she "don't play dat!" I have had many different breeds, and EBD's have their own way of playing-which is more like other dogs fighting!! Most other dogs just don't understand,because they are fearless, and play so rough,and come on strong-not fooling with intoductions,like most other canines :bulldog::jumping:

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

Bulldogs play rough, I'm not convinced it's about dominance. Other breeds play a little differently and that's what usually leads to fights.

Both of mine are always pouncing and using their paws to push each other down. They also both bite each other on the jowls, bark, may growl a little etc. To others, it looks like they're fighting, or trying to ascertain their dominance over the other, in reality, it's all a game.

Problem is, non-bull breeds aren't as rough. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it other than have him play with similar breeds.

eta: look for bulldog meet up groups in your area. It's a great way for him to play with his own and socialize him.

well said, I am in total agreement.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
When we went to the beach on couple occassions, for some reason, other breeds just dislike Harvey. I believe it is because he is "too playful" and they just want their space. Also, they are not used to the the distinctive look, the grunting and the snorting, the lack of tail etc. So socialize with other bulldogs. They understand each other.

When I took Harvey to the bulldog meet in Long Beach a month 1/2 ago with @dolphin, Harvey had a blast with his own kind. 1st time I saw a 106# bulldog which is more than twice the size of Harvey. While I think he can lose a pound or two, that 106# bulldog did look good for his weight.

My dog is naturally nice to people and dogs (not necessarily gentle). However, other dog breeds just want to attack him so I am cautiously letting him meet and sniff others.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the gang has you covered.... well stated by all. best of luck

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Omg...he has the most precious face and that hat...well brings me back to the little rascals. Sooooooo cute!

I have a 5mo old pup and an 8yr old and yes puppies pounce and nip a lot even at that age BUT I've noticed that some dogs take correction better than others. Our 8yr old did not take corrections from our older bully as a pup or as an adult. She was relentless and ended up getting hurt on several occasions. You'd think she would learn but nope. We just had to correct her whenever she was being a pest and all was well. She's still a bit of an instigator but she has calmed way down since her puppy days. Our 5mo old takes corrections very well. Does she still annoy the older one? Absolutely but as soon as the oldest lets her know she's not playing the pup becomes submissive and backs away...most of the time. We always keep a watchful eye to jump in when necessary. It's interesting to see how their personalities are so different. Good luck and maybe with more practice and experience meeting other dogs he will settle down.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Absolutely agree… and another thing I wanted to add that my dog trainer told me. Because of their breathing other dogs think that bulldogs are "getting aggressive" or "growling" so they are immediately on the defense. Of course we just know that is the normal way that they breathe.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

This. 100% this! I was reading along, nodding my head. Bella is EXACTLY as you describe, OP. She charges dogs and swats them in the face...as play! No butt sniffing over in these parts! One of her best friends is a cock-a-poo, but Bella wants to CRUSH her every time they meet! I find that it's best to let Bella play with other bulldogs--it's an awesome thing to see two bullies playing--or let her play with huge dogs, like an English Mastiff.

(I still giggle at the image of Bella playing with her English Mastiff boyfriend. He had her on her back, while he mouthed/tickled her belly. Her legs were flailing in the air. So freaking hilarious! Curses that I didn't have my camera ready!)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
@nycbullymama has hit the nail on the head!! I have three that play so rough, it sounds like a horrible fight.Most times it is just the way they play. Number 4 stays out of it because she "don't play dat!" I have had many different breeds, and EBD's have their own way of playing-which is more like other dogs fighting!! Most other dogs just don't understand,because they are fearless, and play so rough,and come on strong-not fooling with intoductions,like most other canines :bulldog::jumping:

HAHAHA! I don't have time for no stinkin' introductions! *SWAT*

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
this, among many other reasons, is why frank doesn't go to the dog park. too many sweet goldens loping around that want nothing to do with franks more 'hardcore' style of play. I don't like saying aggressive because too many people get the wrong idea when you say that. echoing everyone else, look for a bulldog meetup, look for a friend with a pitbull or other bull breeds. frank plays great with a pitbull friend we have.

it's definitely about finding a dog that compliments his play style :) can't just throw a bully in with a bunch of labs and think it'll work out.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I echo the advice above. At 4 months, it doesn't sound like dominance, it sounds like he's playing and he just can't accept that other dogs don't want to romp around just like him! My Ruckus comes on strong with the introductions, barely giving the other dog a chance to say hi before he sticks his face in their crotch (no polite way to put it) so I taught him to wait until I tell him its ok to say hi (this took a year and lots of treats) but I'm still extra vigilant just in case the other dog isn't s bully lover.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online