Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15

Thread: Why does he snap like this?

  1. #1
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Why does he snap like this?

    This morning was like any other morning where I prepped breakfast for the boys. Finn eats in the laundry room and Tate eats in the kitchen...these rooms are adjacent to each other and connects via an open passageway.

    Tate is still eating his breakfast, well out of the way of the passageway for both rooms; Finn walks over to Tate and suddenly lashes out at him! Food bowl is turned over and food goes everywhere. Tate has this stunned and shocked look. I immediately get Finn over to the corner of the kitchen and make him stay in a "lay down" position until he's told to get up again while Tate finishes up his meal.

    Why does this happen?? it wasn't like Tate was in Finn's way. Tate was just minding his own business eating. It's been a couple wks since a fight like this broke out so today's incident rattled me all over again. Not sure if in the future I should make Finn wait in the laundry room while Tate finishes eating and then p/u their food bowls before they're allowed to co-mingle? Does Finn do this on occasion to show Tate that he is dominant over him? Any thoughts?




  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11475

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    He is just reminding Finn that he is the dominate one.... i would make Tate wait till Finn is done eating.... we had to do this with Banks to control her dominance too. She watched and waited in a stay/sit command while Nitschke or Cheli (over the years)ate. Bowls were swapped out and then she was given a release command. it is something that is always there and they bring it out when they feel they need to give a reminder
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. Likes Texas Carol, nycbullymama, ddnene liked this post
  4. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    This morning was like any other morning where I prepped breakfast for the boys. Finn eats in the laundry room and Tate eats in the kitchen...these rooms are adjacent to each other and connects via an open passageway.

    Tate is still eating his breakfast, well out of the way of the passageway for both rooms; Finn walks over to Tate and suddenly lashes out at him! Food bowl is turned over and food goes everywhere. Tate has this stunned and shocked look. I immediately get Finn over to the corner of the kitchen and make him stay in a "lay down" position until he's told to get up again while Tate finishes up his meal.

    Why does this happen?? it wasn't like Tate was in Finn's way. Tate was just minding his own business eating. It's been a couple wks since a fight like this broke out so today's incident rattled me all over again. Not sure if in the future I should make Finn wait in the laundry room while Tate finishes eating and then p/u their food bowls before they're allowed to co-mingle? Does Finn do this on occasion to show Tate that he is dominant over him? Any thoughts?
    Poor Tate

    I would let them both finish eating, it could be some sort of dominance thing, and when food is involved - it can escalate. I feel your pain, although I have just one - Tyson - he's lashed out at me 3 times this week. I think its due to his paws hurting him, and I'm trying to clean them. But I've had to go all the way back to basics once again. Show treat, show wipe, wipe paw, reward with treat. He's 9yrs old and I'm back at basics. Just a sign that you are always in training mode with these guys.

    So yeah, just to not stir up any trouble, let them both finish separately, pick up bowls & see if that's better. I wanna hug poor Tate, he's all "but ma, I wasn't doing anything, just over here eating my food, then bam" LOL

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  5. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  6. #4
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,198
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2727

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    Agree with Christine & Jessica, it's a dominance thing and will probably
    always be there with Finn (some jealousy in there too). Speaking about
    the jealousy, you may be (unconsciously) favoring Tate a bit out of
    sympathy (and maybe not) and Finn picks up on that, it's complicated
    and poor you, hurts my heart just picturing it! I send comforting hugs
    to all.


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  7. #5
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    brutus77's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    6,959
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)
    2789

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    Brutus has to be fed separately from Frankie because he is food aggressive. I feed them as the same time but separated by a gate. If Brutus barks or mumbles, his food is picked up and he has to sit until it is given back. He knows this is not tolerated behavior and most times he will not do it, but every now and then he feels he has to remind the others that he is a bit of a jerk! I am always right there though to remind HIM that I am boss, not him! lol
    My smooshy face boy!

  8. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
  9. #6
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    @2BullyMama, so I understand this--have Finn eat first, p/u his bowl get Finn out of the area and then feed Tate? so that Tate is used to seeing Finn receive things first...sort of like understanding that pecking order between the two of them?

    @Texas Carol, u may be right about that sympathizing-towards-Tate-thing. I made a conscious effort this a.m. when it happened to not fawn over Tate (tho I know I did a little), and to be a little more "business like" about the whole matter! Tate just looked so pathetic He relishes food (as u can tell by his svelte waistline), and I felt sorry that he was disturbed like that during his most favorite past-time! Plus, I made them both rice and beef this morning and it was dang hard getting those rice kernals back into his bowl!




  10. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  11. #7
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    I wanna hug poor Tate, he's all "but ma, I wasn't doing anything, just over here eating my food, then bam" LOL
    Yup, that's pretty much how it happened! After all that, Tate retreated into the living room...just sat there by himself in the dark. He did look bummed out.




  12. #8
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Petra's Avatar
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Location
    Naboomspruit, South Africa.
    Posts
    2,880
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)
    1384

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    I can't have mine eating in the same room, have to lock them up till they are done. Bennie is food aggressive and Boeboe knows it, so she gets stiff if there is food around and then of course Bennie feels the stiffness and goes for attack

    I would let them eat separately to avoid any issues.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.



  13. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
  14. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11475

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    @2BullyMama, so I understand this--have Finn eat first, p/u his bowl get Finn out of the area and then feed Tate? so that Tate is used to seeing Finn receive things first...sort of like understanding that pecking order between the two of them?

    @Texas Carol, u may be right about that sympathizing-towards-Tate-thing. I made a conscious effort this a.m. when it happened to not fawn over Tate (tho I know I did a little), and to be a little more "business like" about the whole matter! Tate just looked so pathetic He relishes food (as u can tell by his svelte waistline), and I felt sorry that he was disturbed like that during his most favorite past-time! Plus, I made them both rice and beef this morning and it was dang hard getting those rice kernels back into his bowl!
    Finn is the dominate one, correct? if yes, he eats after Tate. We made Banks wait to reinforce we control the food and she had to follow our command -
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  15. Likes nycbullymama, ddnene liked this post
  16. #10
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    All of my bullies have been such greedy guys, they have always run over to any other dog who is still eating and just barge in and start eating their food. I had a boxer girl who was so sweet, she put up with it for a long time until she'd had enough one night and picked up Rosie and shook her like a rag doll! But, of course, it didn't even slow Rosie down at the next meal (typical of my bulldogs). I started feeding Rosie outside after that.

    Winnie started doing the same thing with Jack. Jack's such a sweet guy, he would just let her eat his food, so I feed Winnie in her crate now. She doesn't come out till Jack is done. He eats about as fast as she does (very fast!).

  17. #11
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Finn is the dominate one, correct? if yes, he eats after Tate. We made Banks wait to reinforce we control the food and she had to follow our command -
    So the idea is to have Mr.bossy (aka, Finn) wait. Yeah, I've done this before. I think I got lax about it tho b/c I didn't see them fight and I thought that he (Finn) was finally behaving himself. I will try again...back to old drawing board...and also keep them separate from one another when it comes to anything to do with giving food or snacks.

    Is this their equivalent to a human food fight? I'd rather have one of those!




  18. #12
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11475

    Default Re: Why does he snap like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    So the idea is to have Mr.bossy (aka, Finn) wait. Yeah, I've done this before. I think I got lax about it tho b/c I didn't see them fight and I thought that he (Finn) was finally behaving himself. I will try again...back to old drawing board...and also keep them separate from one another when it comes to anything to do with giving food or snacks.

    Is this their equivalent to a human food fight? I'd rather have one of those!
    No... it is giving a toddle an inch and he is taking the mile! You can not stop doing it, it is something that should continue for his life time as soon as you get lax, he will have to show he rules (or so he thinks)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  19. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •