General Question Why does he snap like this?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This morning was like any other morning where I prepped breakfast for the boys. Finn eats in the laundry room and Tate eats in the kitchen...these rooms are adjacent to each other and connects via an open passageway.

Tate is still eating his breakfast, well out of the way of the passageway for both rooms; Finn walks over to Tate and suddenly lashes out at him! Food bowl is turned over and food goes everywhere. Tate has this stunned and shocked look. I immediately get Finn over to the corner of the kitchen and make him stay in a "lay down" position until he's told to get up again while Tate finishes up his meal.

Why does this happen?? it wasn't like Tate was in Finn's way. Tate was just minding his own business eating. It's been a couple wks since a fight like this broke out so today's incident rattled me all over again. Not sure if in the future I should make Finn wait in the laundry room while Tate finishes eating and then p/u their food bowls before they're allowed to co-mingle? Does Finn do this on occasion to show Tate that he is dominant over him? Any thoughts?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is just reminding Finn that he is the dominate one.... i would make Tate wait till Finn is done eating.... we had to do this with Banks to control her dominance too. She watched and waited in a stay/sit command while Nitschke or Cheli (over the years)ate. Bowls were swapped out and then she was given a release command. it is something that is always there and they bring it out when they feel they need to give a reminder

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This morning was like any other morning where I prepped breakfast for the boys. Finn eats in the laundry room and Tate eats in the kitchen...these rooms are adjacent to each other and connects via an open passageway.

Tate is still eating his breakfast, well out of the way of the passageway for both rooms; Finn walks over to Tate and suddenly lashes out at him! Food bowl is turned over and food goes everywhere. Tate has this stunned and shocked look. I immediately get Finn over to the corner of the kitchen and make him stay in a "lay down" position until he's told to get up again while Tate finishes up his meal.

Why does this happen?? it wasn't like Tate was in Finn's way. Tate was just minding his own business eating. It's been a couple wks since a fight like this broke out so today's incident rattled me all over again. Not sure if in the future I should make Finn wait in the laundry room while Tate finishes eating and then p/u their food bowls before they're allowed to co-mingle? Does Finn do this on occasion to show Tate that he is dominant over him? Any thoughts?

Poor Tate :(

I would let them both finish eating, it could be some sort of dominance thing, and when food is involved - it can escalate. I feel your pain, although I have just one - Tyson - he's lashed out at me 3 times this week. I think its due to his paws hurting him, and I'm trying to clean them. But I've had to go all the way back to basics once again. Show treat, show wipe, wipe paw, reward with treat. He's 9yrs old and I'm back at basics. Just a sign that you are always in training mode with these guys.

So yeah, just to not stir up any trouble, let them both finish separately, pick up bowls & see if that's better. I wanna hug poor Tate, he's all "but ma, I wasn't doing anything, just over here eating my food, then bam" LOL :no:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Agree with Christine & Jessica, it's a dominance thing and will probably
always be there with Finn (some jealousy in there too). Speaking about
the jealousy, you may be (unconsciously) favoring Tate a bit out of
sympathy (and maybe not) and Finn picks up on that, it's complicated
and poor you, hurts my heart just picturing it! I send comforting hugs
to all.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus has to be fed separately from Frankie because he is food aggressive. I feed them as the same time but separated by a gate. If Brutus barks or mumbles, his food is picked up and he has to sit until it is given back. He knows this is not tolerated behavior and most times he will not do it, but every now and then he feels he has to remind the others that he is a bit of a jerk! I am always right there though to remind HIM that I am boss, not him! lol

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama, so I understand this--have Finn eat first, p/u his bowl get Finn out of the area and then feed Tate? so that Tate is used to seeing Finn receive things first...sort of like understanding that pecking order between the two of them?

[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION], u may be right about that sympathizing-towards-Tate-thing. I made a conscious effort this a.m. when it happened to not fawn over Tate (tho I know I did a little), and to be a little more "business like" about the whole matter! Tate just looked so pathetic :( He relishes food (as u can tell by his svelte waistline), and I felt sorry that he was disturbed like that during his most favorite past-time! Plus, I made them both rice and beef this morning and it was dang hard getting those rice kernals back into his bowl!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I wanna hug poor Tate, he's all "but ma, I wasn't doing anything, just over here eating my food, then bam" LOL :no:

Yup, that's pretty much how it happened! After all that, Tate retreated into the living room...just sat there by himself in the dark. He did look bummed out.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I can't have mine eating in the same room, have to lock them up till they are done. Bennie is food aggressive and Boeboe knows it, so she gets stiff if there is food around and then of course Bennie feels the stiffness and goes for attack:(

I would let them eat separately to avoid any issues.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama, so I understand this--have Finn eat first, p/u his bowl get Finn out of the area and then feed Tate? so that Tate is used to seeing Finn receive things first...sort of like understanding that pecking order between the two of them?

@Texas Carol, u may be right about that sympathizing-towards-Tate-thing. I made a conscious effort this a.m. when it happened to not fawn over Tate (tho I know I did a little), and to be a little more "business like" about the whole matter! Tate just looked so pathetic :( He relishes food (as u can tell by his svelte waistline), and I felt sorry that he was disturbed like that during his most favorite past-time! Plus, I made them both rice and beef this morning and it was dang hard getting those rice kernels back into his bowl!

Finn is the dominate one, correct? if yes, he eats after Tate. We made Banks wait to reinforce we control the food and she had to follow our command -

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
All of my bullies have been such greedy guys, they have always run over to any other dog who is still eating and just barge in and start eating their food. I had a boxer girl who was so sweet, she put up with it for a long time until she'd had enough one night and picked up Rosie and shook her like a rag doll! But, of course, it didn't even slow Rosie down at the next meal (typical of my bulldogs). I started feeding Rosie outside after that.

Winnie started doing the same thing with Jack. Jack's such a sweet guy, he would just let her eat his food, so I feed Winnie in her crate now. She doesn't come out till Jack is done. He eats about as fast as she does (very fast!).

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn is the dominate one, correct? if yes, he eats after Tate. We made Banks wait to reinforce we control the food and she had to follow our command -

So the idea is to have Mr.bossy (aka, Finn) wait. Yeah, I've done this before. I think I got lax about it tho b/c I didn't see them fight and I thought that he (Finn) was finally behaving himself. I will try again...back to old drawing board...and also keep them separate from one another when it comes to anything to do with giving food or snacks.

:fie:Is this their equivalent to a human food fight? I'd rather have one of those!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So the idea is to have Mr.bossy (aka, Finn) wait. Yeah, I've done this before. I think I got lax about it tho b/c I didn't see them fight and I thought that he (Finn) was finally behaving himself. I will try again...back to old drawing board...and also keep them separate from one another when it comes to anything to do with giving food or snacks.

:fie:Is this their equivalent to a human food fight? I'd rather have one of those!

No... it is giving a toddle an inch and he is taking the mile! You can not stop doing it, it is something that should continue for his life time as soon as you get lax, he will have to show he rules (or so he thinks)

benny316

Sep 9, 2014
I find with my gang that its better to separate them when feeding as they can get very territorial about food and it can kick off if one is eating and the other approaches. I found since I seperated them I have had no issues since. Its funny cause they will happily share water

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Mine eat together because I don't have this issue (it's all about toy aggression here), but this is definitely a great thread to learn from.

I now know what to do in case a problem develops.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear this Henny :( I agree w/everyone's advice… just wanted you to know that I'm here offering support. I hope things get resolved soon…

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.