how can I trust my dog around other dogs more often?

Verenabean24

May 29, 2015
Seattle Washington
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Walter is a lover to people and most dogs. But occassionally he barks at other dogs when he sees them. he has never done anything but I havent given him the chance either. I dont think he would. I never really thought about and it didnt really bother me until I went to the pet store today and he barked at one of the dogs there and the lady there kinda kept obsessing about him doing that and kept asking me if he always does that with other dogs and if i am going to take him to obidience school. I never really thought about this because i only have one dog and dont plan on have many and he is a very loving dog. But I guess If he would actually harm another dog I would like to stop or prevent that if I could. Any pointers? Or similar situations?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all, that lady at the pet store obviously does NOT understand dog behavior. Just because your dog was barking at her dog does NOT mean that he is aggressive, some dogs are just barkers… it could mean SO many different things. What you need to look out for is his hackles up (hair along his spine) tail up or down… lowering of the head, cowering or growling. I think that obedience training is good for any dog because it gets them used to being around other dogs and other people. And it also helps you to recognize the signs in your dog that you need to be aware of. All dogs are different, and bulldogs tend to be a little more OCD than other breeds.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
brutus barks at other dogs all the time and it's only because he wants to sniff and play with them. If I don't let him he starts barking.Your dog is probably trying to get the other dogs attention.

OP
Verenabean24

Verenabean24

May 29, 2015
Seattle Washington
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
ok, ya his hair was NOT standing up and he didnt try to attact them if anything just kinda pulled at the leash and he has kinda a deep bark, he barely ever even barks. its was short lived as well. I dont know maybe Im just over sensitive to him and she annoyed me..... but I dont think he was trying to attack...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
ok, ya his hair was NOT standing up and he didnt try to attact them if anything just kinda pulled at the leash and he has kinda a deep bark, he barely ever even barks. its was short lived as well. I dont know maybe Im just over sensitive to him and she annoyed me..... but I dont think he was trying to attack...

You know your baby best…
My advice when you deal w/idiots like that is to smile turn and walk away… ;)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
What??!!!! She didn't say "OOOh, is that a Pitbull?" that is the usual..........................

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I agree with the others, this lady did not know what she was talking about.

One of mine, Wellie will sometimes bark when he wants to play with other dogs. It's his way of saying "look at me, I'm here, let's play". He usually does it when we're out for a walk and I won't let him socialize. He also does it with Blue when Blue doesn't want to play. He'll bark and paw at him to get him in the "mood".
There's nothing aggressive about it.

Like @ddnene said, there are other signs of aggression - growling, cowering, baring his teeth.. all those are signs of aggression. A bark here and there is not.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Lol; Ruby and Amber bark at the wind.....LOL......but seriously, yours probably barked because as you said he is an only child so the opportunity to play with another 4 legged child is tantilizingly appealing. They just want the other to know they are there. Slowly, socialize him with others, one at a time with others you know are socialized, he will get better but probably still bark. Thats what dogs do; mine, the entire herd, barks at each other, wind, noises, grandchildren, Kristana etc. Its there way of communication and none of mine are agressive. That woman probably hasn't been...."socialized".......hehehe.....herself and maybe she felt a little left out. She probably hasn't had any 2 legged companions "bark" :ROFL2: at her lately and she felt left out.......:w00t:

Last edited:

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
He probably heard what she was saying and barking at her haha. If he shows no other signs of aggression I wouldn't worry to much. There's a dog near me and every time I walk past with Bruce it barks and Bruce just walks over wagging his little stump then they start playing so its not necessarily a bad thing.

Most Reactions