Need advice

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
So we brought home our new bully Hercules on Sunday and so far he's really been doing great, eating well, playing and just being happy. He's doing really well with the potty training as he only has small pee accidents maybe once or twice max a day. The only area where we are having issues is during the night. For the last few nights we have taken him out right before bed and then are waking up in the middle of the night to also take him out. The problem is that he is peeing in his crate and then playing in it twice a night, once before we wake up to take him and again before we wake up in the morning. We take him out and he doesn't seem to pee a ton but waits to really do it in the crate. This is crazy to me as I've never known a dog to pee in the crate multiple times. Any ideas?

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Depends on the age of your pup. Mine was 8 wks when I brought her home and for the first couple weeks I got up every time she started to stir which was every 2 hrs at first!!! It was like having a newborn. We finally got it down to 3x per night and then she ended up with a UTI and we were back to getting up! I was exhausted as I was getting up at 5 a.m. to work and I don't do well with lack of sleep. My pup is in my bed so when she started to move around I knew it was time to get up. My older dog slept in a crate that was elevated beside my bed and she would go out maybe once a night but she almost always peed in her crate- probably because I was asleep and didn't realize she was up and about. Once they were about 3 mo they slept through the night. It just takes a little time for them to hold their bladder all night.

You may want to pick up the water bowl an hour before bed time as well but even then if the pup is young they'll still need to go out during the night.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Good advice from Kelly. Winnie was eight weeks old when I got her. She slept in the bed with us. I'm a very light sleeper and when she started moving around I would get up and take her out. It was several times a night. Then she started sleeping longer times and stirring around less. I did have trouble with Winnie peeing in her crate for the first month I had her. I ended up taking the bedding out of the crate and feeding her in her crate. After that the peeing in the crate stopped. During the day, I took her out every hour and I also took water up at around 9:00 p.m.

Having a a puppy is like having a new baby, like Kelly said. You'll lose sleep for a while, there's no way around that, but it goes by pretty fast and it's worth it in the end! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great advice above!! He will grow out of it eventually, ours have always slept in our bed with us.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups are like human babies, they can not hold their pee all night. A rule of thumb is, especially during the day, they can hold it for an hour per every month of age. So if they are 3 months old, then they can hold it for 3 hours. They can hold it a little longer at night, but not much. Put pee pads down and the cotton reusable ones are better, because they don't chew them up as bad, and sometimes not at all, but the love the paper ones. You can use old towels too, and just wash them. The important thing is NEVER, EVER, EVER, restrict water from a bully, especially a growing pup, it does not help with potty training and will only help them get a UTI, among other things.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Depends on the age of your pup. Mine was 8 wks when I brought her home and for the first couple weeks I got up every time she started to stir which was every 2 hrs at first!!! It was like having a newborn. We finally got it down to 3x per night and then she ended up with a UTI and we were back to getting up! I was exhausted as I was getting up at 5 a.m. to work and I don't do well with lack of sleep. My pup is in my bed so when she started to move around I knew it was time to get up. My older dog slept in a crate that was elevated beside my bed and she would go out maybe once a night but she almost always peed in her crate- probably because I was asleep and didn't realize she was up and about. Once they were about 3 mo they slept through the night. It just takes a little time for them to hold their bladder all night.

agree ^^^

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.