Why doesn't my pup like me?!

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Alright, so I have posted about my pup Spanky (16 weeks) before. His behaviors have been much better, but now I have another concern....he never seems excited to see me. I am with him 24/7...I walk him, feed him, play with him, and snuggle him...but he never really seems THRILLED to see me like he does my boyfriend? ....I guess I haven't ever really left his side for very long, but in the mornings when I let him out of his kennel he just walks up to me and plops on my lap. My boyfriend is gone for all of the day and sometimes most part of the evening, but when he gets home Spanky goes NUTS (and behaviors start happening). Why doesn't Spanky get excited for me?! Is it just because he's so used to seeing me? I kind of thought that'd make him more attached and excited to see me?! These might be silly questions, but I really am just curious :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Christa, I'm sure he loves you, but because he's with you all day and you said you don't leave his side for very long, he never misses you. Your boyfriend is gone all day and for most of the evening, so when he comes home, Spanky gets excited because he hasn't seen him all day, and he has missed him. He's a new person coming into the house after he's been with you all day, and he's excited to sniff and smell and say Hi to the new person coming in the house, and maybe your boyfriend is happy to see him as well and plays with him more since he also hasn't seen Spanky all day.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hi Christa, I'm sure he loves you, but because he's with you all day and you said you don't leave his side for very long, he never misses you. Your boyfriend is gone all day and for most of the evening, so when he comes home, Spanky gets excited because he hasn't seen him all day, and he has missed him. He's a new person coming into the house after he's been with you all day, and he's excited to sniff and smell and say Hi to the new person coming in the house, and maybe your boyfriend is happy to see him as well and plays with him more since he also hasn't seen Spanky all day.

I totally agree with Monica. Do you ever leave him with your boyfriend...and then come back? He is still very young. Also, how does your boyfriend greet him when he comes in? Is he very excited to see Spanky and make a big fuss over him? That would make Spanky really excited too.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, he does love you because he plops in your lap in the morning. If you were gone all day and came home, I'm sure he would go nuts to wee you too.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Don't be too sad. I am with Goob 24/7 and he only gets really excited to see my husband, EVERY TIME my husband walks in the door. I am chopped liver...maybe because I'm the warden of the family. Give me your wrinkles. Go potty. Drop it. Leave it. Off! Come....And constantly chase him with some sort of cleaning agent. I wouldn't like me as much either:no: .

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Same here, couldn't care less to see me but gets super excited when my husband comes home from work. I always joke and say -"Hubby is home, depression is over". I'm home with them ALL day, every day, so it's normal.

Once a year I go to Sweden for about two weeks and I can tell you they are happy when I get home, so super happy. Joey crawled up on my lap and wouldn't leave, it was like she was scared I would disappear again. They love you<3

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Absence make the heart grow fonder.

From time to time, why don't you let the BF stay with Spanky from time to time while you go shopping for example. I'm sure your pup will miss you if you are gone for some time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Totally agree.... he loves you and is with you all day. If you leave him for a about an hour and come back in he will go nuts to see you too

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
I totally agree with Monica. Do you ever leave him with your boyfriend...and then come back? He is still very young. Also, how does your boyfriend greet him when he comes in? Is he very excited to see Spanky and make a big fuss over him? That would make Spanky really excited too.

He has stayed with the BF while I'm at work a few times, but is sleeping by the time I get home! And yes, the BF definitely makes a big fuss when he sees him! Thanks:)

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Don't be too sad. I am with Goob 24/7 and he only gets really excited to see my husband, EVERY TIME my husband walks in the door. I am chopped liver...maybe because I'm the warden of the family. Give me your wrinkles. Go potty. Drop it. Leave it. Off! Come....And constantly chase him with some sort of cleaning agent. I wouldn't like me as much either:no: .

LOL. SOOOO very true!! I'm the warden too!! :laugh: Thanks! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone!! Looks like I'll just have to take an extended girls weekend sometime! HA! :)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm convinced that Bella loves the man at her vet/daycare more than me! I'm the warden and I make her obey commands for treats, etc. I make her sit pretty for meals, etc.

I understand how you feel, OP.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.