Exercise!

Firebyrd

Dec 30, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Domino
Hey guys, I have a question. How long can I walk my baby boy? We try to walk a block or two every evening when we can. We walk in the evenings and half way through the walk, he's panting hard. Any suggestions?

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
consult with the vet next time if he needs his nostrils done - stenotic nares procedure.

His airway may bee too narrow (common with bulldogs). If that is the case, the procedure would be necessary to widen his nostril openning.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with harveyspecter. You should anyway walk him on his terms at least what you're doing. If you don't walk him at all his condition will also get worse and he will be able to walk even less. Is he active other wise, playing and such?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
How old is he? It is quite common for bulldogs to have breathing issues:( Ours could walk quite far when they were younger without problems, now they get tired more quickly.

Many people on this forum has had the nostrils done on their bulldogs, I think also something called an Elongated Soft Palate will cause breathing problems... I would ask my vet. If he's otherwise healthy and it's not to warm when you're walking him he might have a condition that cause him to pant heavily.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the others... how is he during play? Has the vet checked his nares and palate? How old is he?

OP
F

Firebyrd

Dec 30, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Domino
Thank y'all for the feed back. I will keep you informed.we go to the vet in two weeks.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hey guys, I have a question. How long can I walk my baby boy? We try to walk a block or two every evening when we can. We walk in the evenings and half way through the walk, he's panting hard. Any suggestions?

Don't walk so far. EBD's are NOT walking dogs. To the mail box and back, from yard...maybe.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I strongly disagree. If a bulldog can't walk further than the mailbox, it should not be used for breeding.

Don't walk so far. EBD's are NOT walking dogs. To the mail box and back, from yard...maybe.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
I strongly disagree. If a bulldog can't walk further than the mailbox, it should not be used for breeding.

Why?

My point was not that ONLY the distance to the mailbox was the distance. My point is that each bulldog is different. Where does the dog live. Here in F hot Arizona, NO Bulldog should be walked in the heat at all.

If that person's dog can't walk that far...then cut back. Find a starting point. Increase if possible. But how far SHOULD bulldogs walk?

Quality bulldogs that are healthy, fit, conformationally correct STILL do not take long walks.

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
How old is he? Mines nearly 5 months, I let him off the lead in the day so he can have 10 mins walking/running on the field and maybe 15 20 mins walk in the evening when its cooler. You could try taking him on a shorter walk and see how he is then keep progressing

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.