brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm happy to hear Winnie has mastered the doggie door. $900???? I also have a custom made doggie door in my house. It is an original work or art done by Frankie and Brutus. They barged their block heads through the slider screen one day, and now they come and go as they please. It kinda works out because it ripped out of the sides of the door from the bottom to about half way up so it lays flat to the door and keeps the bugs out. Win-Win!

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I'm happy to hear Winnie has mastered the doggie door. $900???? I also have a custom made doggie door in my house. It is an original work or art done by Frankie and Brutus. They barged their block heads through the slider screen one day, and now they come and go as they please. It kinda works out because it ripped out of the sides of the door from the bottom to about half way up so it lays flat to the door and keeps the bugs out. Win-Win!

Your doggie door sounds great and I know the boys didn't charge nearly as much as my guy! A few years ago we got a new sliding glass door with a new screen. We were so happy to get the screen because our old one was broken. We used it for two days before my dogs heard something in the yard and ran straight through it--well, they knocked the whole screen door out. Then it didn't slide anymore, but why even fix it?!

It's getting so hot here, I needed something to keep the cold air inside. And the summer is hotter!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Well, Winnie has a lot of good qualities, but she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer! We got a new doggie door installed today. Now this must be the Cadillac of dog doors--it cost nearly $900. It was all custom made, keeps a/c in, bugs out. Anyway, Winnie has totally spazed out over it. She keeps trying to bite the flaps in that frantic way bullies do. I'm afraid she is going to tear it up! My big dog Jack already goes calmly in and out for a treat. The only time Winnie has gone out is on Jack's tail. She won't go through on her own for any treat. Any suggestions?

My opinion is that NO BULLDOG SHOULD EVER BE TRAINED TO USE A DOGGIE DOOR!
Why?
The heat can KILL them. Most EBD's love the sun and the heat SOOOOO much that they will sit out in the sun TOO long and not come back inside. Many EBD's have died from the heat and the sun.

Not worth taking a chance.

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Why?
The heat can KILL them. Most EBD's love the sun and the heat SOOOOO much that they will sit out in the sun TOO long and not come back inside. Many EBD's have died from the heat and the sun.

Yes, that's a very good point and I considered it before we got the doggie door. In our situation, both my husband and I are home all the time and are always watching the dogs. The door we got also has a panel that can be inserted when we leave, so the door can't be used then. Winnie is my 4th bully and they have all loved the sun! That could be bad in Dallas heat in the summer. We've never let them stay out that long. Even though they like a short sunbath, my dogs have all been "sooner" dogs (sooner be inside!).

bully602

Sep 8, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo/Cheena/Chevy
which door did you purchase? I just bought a door too that I will be having someone install at my house

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Why?

I am in total agreement. Harvey will stay out and sit out. I am timing him and I am totally keeping an eye on him. After just few minutes of staying outside, I will seek him out and feel his back and it is already very warm. Does he have the sense of thinking, I'd better get inside it is getting a little hot, No. So at this time, I will lure him back in with food and treats.

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
which door did you purchase? I just bought a door too that I will be having someone install at my house

The door I got... Hmmm. Well I called this guy I looked up on Angie's List who got a really good rating for installing doggy doors. He came out and measured my patio sliding glass door. What they did was manufacture a whole new glass for my door frame with the doggie door built into the glass. Then when they installed it, they took the old glass out and put the new one with the doggy door in. I had thought about getting a panel doggy door, but the guy said with those panels you basically lose the use of your door. That wouldn't work for us, because the sliding glass door is our only door to the patio and backyard.

We've had it now for a month (?) or so and we love it! I can't believe we never got one before--all those years of getting up and down, letting dogs in and out every few minutes! My dogs, on their own, never stay out longer than 15 minutes. But it's really hot here in the summer and neither man nor beast wants to stay out any longer than that. And they can't stand not knowing what I'm up to in the house!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Why?

Great reminder! My dog door is not accessible to them unless I am at home... it is just to let them get some outside time on our deck and I can still see them. Door is closed off when not home or too hot

Yes, that's a very good point and I considered it before we got the doggie door. In our situation, both my husband and I are home all the time and are always watching the dogs. The door we got also has a panel that can be inserted when we leave, so the door can't be used then. Winnie is my 4th bully and they have all loved the sun! That could be bad in Dallas heat in the summer. We've never let them stay out that long. Even though they like a short sunbath, my dogs have all been "sooner" dogs (sooner be inside!).

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Why?

My dogs are never outside without supervision. The glass door is shut 99% of the time in the summer because the air is on. I will leave the screen doggie door operational for them in the early spring time and only if I am home. Not even if the kids are home with them, because let's face facts, the kids won't pay attention the way I do. The only time my pups stay outside for more than potty breaks is if I completely soak them in cool water first. Then I will sit with them and let them enjoy the outdoors a bit. I really appreciate the reminder though, too many bullies lose their lives this way. It can and does happen so quick.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.