The new doggie door

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Well, Winnie has a lot of good qualities, but she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer! We got a new doggie door installed today. Now this must be the Cadillac of dog doors--it cost nearly $900. It was all custom made, keeps a/c in, bugs out. Anyway, Winnie has totally spazed out over it. She keeps trying to bite the flaps in that frantic way bullies do. I'm afraid she is going to tear it up! My big dog Jack already goes calmly in and out for a treat. The only time Winnie has gone out is on Jack's tail. She won't go through on her own for any treat. Any suggestions?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Haha, I know it's funny, but I laugh bc I can just imagine Winnie!
Have you already tried holding a treat on the other side to lure her in & out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Haha, I know it's funny, but I laugh bc I can just imagine Winnie!
Have you already tried holding a treat on the other side to lure her in & out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I tried that. Hahaha--I give up for today. I'll try again tomorrow!

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
try this. Have Winnie inside and you outside. Put some peanut butter on your forehead and cheeks and stick you head inside the door. As she licks off your peanut butter slowly pull your head outside. Be sure to film it and let us see how it goes. Guaranteed to work.

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
try this. Have Winnie inside and you outside. Put some peanut butter on your forehead and cheeks and stick you head inside the door. As she licks off your peanut butter slowly pull your head outside. Be sure to film it and let us see how it goes. Guaranteed to work.

I'll try it! Thanks!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

I'll try it! Thanks!

I just have two words...VIDEO PLEASE!! :yeah:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I'm not promising a video. Not that I'm vain or anything, but a video of me in the doggie door with peanut butter on my head--not pretty! :fie:

Please tell me you are not actually going to do this!!! That suggestion came from RalphieBoy!!! He is always a laugh!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau was afraid and playful at first with our doggie door.... I just slowly helped him through a few times and within a week he was all fine with it. Coming back in we used treats as a lure and that did take a few days for him to muster up the courage to come through on his own

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
No video, hahaha, because Winnie has gone through the door several times. But she will only will do it when Jack goes through and she can follow close behind. She will also do it when I open the dog door (away from her so she can't attack the flaps) from the other side and I give her a treat. She just doesn't want to barge through the flaps and she doesn't like the clacking noise the magnets make when the flaps close. We'll keep working on it though--surely she'll get it?!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No video, hahaha, because Winnie has gone through the door several times. But she will only will do it when Jack goes through and she can follow close behind. She will also do it when I open the dog door (away from her so she can't attack the flaps) from the other side and I give her a treat. She just doesn't want to barge through the flaps and she doesn't like the clacking noise the magnets make when the flaps close. We'll keep working on it though--surely she'll get it?!

She will be doing it on her own in no time

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Lambeau was afraid and playful at first with our doggie door.... I just slowly helped him through a few times and within a week he was all fine with it. Coming back in we used treats as a lure and that did take a few days for him to muster up the courage to come through on his own

YAY! Winnie has been in and out of the doggie door several times all by herself this morning. I think she's got it, by George! The only problem she has now is she thinks she can't do it with her beloved ball in her mouth, but I'm sure she'll get that too. I think it helped to push her through gently and slowly. And she's not attacking the flaps anymore!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
YAY! Winnie has been in and out of the doggie door several times all by herself this morning. I think she's got it, by George! The only problem she has now is she thinks she can't do it with her beloved ball in her mouth, but I'm sure she'll get that too. I think it helped to push her through gently and slowly. And she's not attacking the flaps anymore!

That's great to hear she's getting used to it! :up:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Yeay Winnie!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

YEAH!! :wiggle: :wiggle:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.