Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New bulldog owner and struggling! Please help!

Potty Trainer
    Country
    Nottinghamshire
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Patch, Amy & Darcy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New bulldog owner and struggling! Please help!

I had the same problem with my first bulldog, but it was only when my husband was at work, he would constantly go for my arm even if I told him to stop, or told him off for it he thought it was a game and kept coming back.. I just kept telling him no in a different tone of voice, I kept giving him to play with but he wasn't bothered, they do grow out of it and it is a stressful time to go through as it does hurt, but they don't realise how much it hurts.. if you just give him his toys and try not to play with him with them until he is settling down on the biting.. when you are giving him attention and he starts to bite again give him a toy and put him in time out.. if you are trying to play with him and he is doing it he will take it as you are playing with him and he is allowed to do it.. also because he never did it when my husband was here because mens voices are deeper and he knew he couldn't get away with things, when he did things wrong and we was both in the house we would make sure that I would tell him off instead of my husband so he knew he couldn't play up with me when my husband wasn't there.. if that makes sense.. hope this helps

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hi,

All EBD's are the same .... and all are different.

All behavior modifications have to start with basic training. The seven common commands need to be taught first. As part of the training, is correction, modeling, reinforcement...repeat. I personally do not think leaving a harness on is the correct approach. This is only effective for a short period and then becomes part of the activity. Using a slip collar for training, and even train in the house. Start with the very simple steps first, then bridge/scaffolding for the next step.

Puppies learn what the surroundings are by putting things in their mouth. This includes hand, shoes, furniture, etc. When the puppy is out of the crate, 100% attention is needed to watch, stop, correct, re-focus, praise, repeat. Having a small toy in your hand when playing with your puppy, when your puppy start to bite on your hand, correct, and give toy to chew on instead. Using correction is NOT a bad thing. This is not the same as hitting, beating, yelling, etc.

This too shall pass but it is up to you to spend the correct time setting the stage now.
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris Bullski
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kay1290 View Post
    Thanks guys! It certainly has restored my faith, Wilson has an extra large crate for his down time and my son has a play pen for his they are never together unless supervised. I guess Il stick to the 'no bite' tactic also just a quick question and this might sound very odd but if he wears his harness in the house he seems to be better behaved, is this in my head or does anybody else's bulldog wears a harness in the house?
    We noticed that the harness mellowed Boris out as well so we ended up getting him a Thundershirt. It was one of the best purchases we've made for him since he's always trying to dominate my girlfriend. Once the shirt is on he chills out and no longer bites or runs around in circles. He's going on 11 months now and we rarely have to break the thundershirt out to keep him from chasing away my GF.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

HI,

I actually like and agree with the Thundershirt. Not for training, but for insecurity. I had a dog that did not come from a good breeder kennel and even after 3 years still acted like a ferrel dog. The Thundershirt helped her alot !
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads