Struggling with leash biting/tugging

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
Hello all!

Well, Lord Stanley has developed a new obsession. Every time I take him outside (we live on the 2nd story of an apartment complex), he goes crazy on the leash after doing his business outside.

A typical example of this is as follows...

I put his leash on him, in the apartment, to go outside.

He goes outside fine, does his business and then, while I'm cleaning up poop, or just after peeing, he goes crazy and grabs the leash.. He tries to turn it into a game of tug. I try my best to ignore him and just go about cleaning up after him, but he's pulling and going nuts on it.

I get him back inside, and now he wants to take it into the corner and chew on it. I can't get it away from him, except to give him super high value treats.. Now I'm afraid that I've taught him "If I steal the leash, I get high value treats"..

I'm lost. I've tried everything.. Calm assertive, treating the proper behavior, spraying the leash with bitter apple, and not giving attention when he does it... NOTHING WORKS! I don't know what to do......

Help me bully owners.. you're my only hope!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello all!

Well, Lord Stanley has developed a new obsession. Every time I take him outside (we live on the 2nd story of an apartment complex), he goes crazy on the leash after doing his business outside.

A typical example of this is as follows...

I put his leash on him, in the apartment, to go outside.

He goes outside fine, does his business and then, while I'm cleaning up poop, or just after peeing, he goes crazy and grabs the leash.. He tries to turn it into a game of tug. I try my best to ignore him and just go about cleaning up after him, but he's pulling and going nuts on it.

I get him back inside, and now he wants to take it into the corner and chew on it. I can't get it away from him, except to give him super high value treats.. Now I'm afraid that I've taught him "If I steal the leash, I get high value treats"..

I'm lost. I've tried everything.. Calm assertive, treating the proper behavior, spraying the leash with bitter apple, and not giving attention when he does it... NOTHING WORKS! I don't know what to do......

Help me bully owners.. you're my only hope!

When you walk him, does he have collar on? And this is why he can reach his leash? If so, I suggest a harness, those hook the leash on the top of their back, and its harder for them to reach it. We have a retractable leash that retracts on its own so if I'm close, the leash has no slack. I would try that... if there is no slack on the leash, and its tied to the harness, he can't reach it. Then when you get inside remove the leash and put it away (out of his site) then you can remove the harness -- I hope this make sense. LOL

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They do like to play with the leash when they are young, and will eventually grow out of it, with some training. They also get excited when they go potty, especially after a poop. [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] gave you some great advice to try a harness.

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, Stanley's a pretty agile and flexible bully. He has been able to reach the leash with both harness and/or collar. We've tried several different types of harnesses, including ones that have the "loop" for the leash way in the back.

The problem is, that he will just squirm and act crazy until he finally gets his mouth on it. I try to keep him calm, but as [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said, he gets pretty excited after a poop!

Thank you very much for your suggestions.. I appreciate it.

This habit of his is getting expensive. He's destroyed three leashes and a harness in the last month.

He will sometimes "grab" the harness while putting it on, or taking it off and run off with it. Today he chewed and destroyed the buckle to the harness I just bought on Friday. Pretty frustrating.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like he is still full of pup, and has made a game out of it. Hopefully he will out grow this soon, as most do. But they never outgrow the poop zoomies. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, Stanley's a pretty agile and flexible bully. He has been able to reach the leash with both harness and/or collar. We've tried several different types of harnesses, including ones that have the "loop" for the leash way in the back.

The problem is, that he will just squirm and act crazy until he finally gets his mouth on it. I try to keep him calm, but as @Davidh said, he gets pretty excited after a poop!

Thank you very much for your suggestions.. I appreciate it.

This habit of his is getting expensive. He's destroyed three leashes and a harness in the last month.

He will sometimes "grab" the harness while putting it on, or taking it off and run off with it. Today he chewed and destroyed the buckle to the harness I just bought on Friday. Pretty frustrating.

UGH.... seems you have tried all the tricks I would have thought of too --- he is in full puppy mode and I hope he settles out of it soon. But, as David stated, the poo attacks never go away

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
Update.. Things have been a bit better yesterday and so far today. We've been trying a combo of calm assertive and ignoring the behavior. Along with making him sit, stay and wait at each door (there are 4) on the way in and out of the building. I've been rewarding the good behavior (sitting, staying, waiting to be released at each door) with a treat on the way out and in. So far that's been distracting him, and he seems more interested in getting back to the door to get a treat. We'll see how it keeps up.

Question for the group... How long do I continue "treating" the good behavior before I start scaling back the treats?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try to alternate praise and treat and work the treat out of equation but always have them in case of emergency

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Good Day~

Training and praise should continue from time to time. Continue until you get the results you want, then cut back. Repeat again from time to time to stay on top of things.

Ok, so all opinions should be considered. Some work.

Here's mine;

Change the routine. Walk around INSIDE the apt with the leash and halter on. Train inside first. Train, treat, take off. Repeat.
Go outside NOT to go potty, train, treat, repeat, go back inside.

It is important to break the connection of biting on the leash, pulling, and then being rewarded.

When time to do the biz outside. After done, walk around a bit to work on leash training, heal, sit, stay, etc. You can always pick up poo a few minutes later. Get dog to sit calm BEFORE cleaning.

My opinion..

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
How old is he and who goes through the front door first you or him when your leaving for a walk? I've read and heard that if the dog goes through the doors first or walks in front, doesn't have to be pulling then they think their in control and in charge. When I walk Bruce I make him wait for me to go through the front door first then when walking I hold the lead short but loosely so he can't walk in front and he can have his time to run in front when were at the field. He's more than happy doing this and actually sits at the door waiting for me to say 'come on then'. Hopefully by showing him your in charge from the start he might listen more when you tell him to leave the lead and just use one short, sharp word like no or leave and stick with that same word each time. Sometimes takes a few seconds for them to register what you have said so don't repeat it straight away if he's not listened. You could even take it out his mouth and say that word then he'll eventually put two and two together. Sorry it's long but hope it helps :)

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Ugh, i feel for you! This was a big problem for us when Winslow was a bit younger. Still happens occasionally but it's definitely not the struggle it was!

A huge part of curbing it, at least in my experience, was to stop the behavior BEFORE it happens. I'm able to tell when he's about to do it, and a quick Leave It, Sit, Wait, and Whatever (well no i don't say that, but if i know we need a second for some focus) usually stops him from going for it. It's like you're not giving him the chance for bad behavior.

Sounds like you're getting it under control, good luck!

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
UPDATE

To answer some of the questions above...

Stanley is 1 yr, 9 mos old. He was going through doors first, but I now have him sit and stay at every door until after I go through and release him.

He's doing a bit better. Only had one case of him grabbing the leash over the weekend.

Some things we've instituted....

Longer walks.. Early morning 30+ min, late evening 30+ min.

Increased his playtime, and added mental stimulation. We purchased a mat/pillow/bed type of thing and we make him "go to his mat" to get anything... Treats, petting, before feedings.. Essentially he's working harder to get anything,

All of this is wearing him out more, and he's less prone to go crazy outside.

Also, treating/praising outside after good behavior/ ignoring bad behavior seems to be doing better.

All in all, we're making progress.

Thanks to all for the advice above. I appreciate it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
UPDATE

Stanley is 1 yr, 9 mos old. He was going through doors first, but I now have him sit and stay at every door until after I go through and release him.

He's doing a bit better. Only had one case of him grabbing the leash over the weekend.

Increased his playtime, and added mental stimulation. We purchased a mat/pillow/bed type of thing and we make him "go to his mat" to get anything... Treats, petting, before feedings.. Essentially he's working harder to get anything,

Also, treating/praising outside after good behavior/ ignoring bad behavior seems to be doing better.

This is wonderful news. He is still young, and in prime age to learn. You are doing a GREAT job with him, so you will definitely see the work in the long run. Kuddos & hugs to Lord Stanley :hugs:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE

Fantastic --- stay consistent!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like you are making good progress. The leash thing is usually just another phase of puppyhood. My two Belgian Malanois(now deceased) were actually my dog-walk trainers. I would attach the pups leash to one of their collars, and the pup went where they went! Was the easiest leash training method for ME!! It only took a few
lessons by my "trainers" and the pups were leash trained!!:laugh:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online