Help Needed! Puppy Starting to Hump

riuthamus

Apr 22, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Drogo
So, this is my first male dog and he has come to the age of humping. For the sake of saving me from an internet search (dog humping) LMAO Does anybody have advice on how we can make this less of a problem? We are going to breed the dog so getting it snipped is not an option. Any thoughts? Thanks guys for the help with this less than ideal, but natural situation!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg, love the little humpers!! :rofl: So I have my own theory on humping and why they hump but as far as making it stop reducing hormone levels can help, but more so with marking territory. Training him not to do it is key, and neutering can help but it's not a guarantee or a cure.

Who are you going to breed him with exactly? Is there already a planned future litter with his breeder? I'm just curious because many people with male bulldogs assume they will want to breed but in all honesty it's just not worth holding out for. Studs used for breeding are usually very selected- and the fee is not that high even for champion show dogs, 3 viles of fresh collected semen shipped from a CH bulldog you can get for $500- with cooled shipping next day delivery. Seriously- so not worth holding out for unless you are

a.) raising a show dog (they cannot be snipped if in show)

b.) make an educated choice not to due to much research into the benefits and downfalls of neutering

c) you are a breeder who sees great potential in the pup as a future Champion, providing he has a good temperament and is in excellent health by the age of two

d) you are in contract with your breeder to breed him in the future

Let me also express that once they are expressed (masturbated) this is something that can change them forever. You think you have a humper now? It could become much much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
riuthamus

riuthamus

Apr 22, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Drogo
Omg, love the little humpers!! :rofl: So I have my own theory on humping and why they hump but as far as making it stop reducing hormone levels can help, but more so with marking territory. Training him not to do it is key, and neutering can help but it's not a guarantee or a cure.

Who are you going to breed him with exactly? Is there already a planned future litter with his breeder? I'm just curious because many people with male bulldogs assume they will want to breed but in all honesty it's just not worth holding out for. Studs used for breeding are usually very selected- and the fee is not that high even for champion show dogs, 3 viles of fresh collected semen shipped from a CH bulldog you can get for $500- with cooled shipping next day delivery. Seriously- so not worth holding out for unless you are

a.) raising a show dog (they cannot be snipped if in show)

b.) make an educated choice not to due to much research into the benefits and downfalls of neutering

c) you are a breeder who sees great potential in the pup as a future Champion, providing he has a good temperament and is in excellent health by the age of two

d) you are in contract with your breeder to breed him in the future

Let me also express that once they are expressed (masturbated) this is something that can change them forever. You think you have a humper now? It could become much much worse.

a.) We are expecting to turn him into a show dog. We have been training him and prepping him for this already. My wife wants to take him to shows in the next couple of months when he has completed his training certificates. The dog has some good potential to be a champion, and from what we can tell he has all the features that they would look for. I personally am still on the fence about this, but my wife seems to think it is a good idea so we are going to try at least.

b.) I do not have enough knowledge yet. I know that snipping him can be a good thing, but right now its not an option due to our desire to breed/show him

c.) more or less the answer was in A

d.) We have not done this, but I suppose we should look at doing that? We were not going to breed him unless he becomes a champion.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's awesome, so nice to hear you've taken the time to think about these things, and glad to give some food for thought. Back to humping, my humpers do it out of pure love- not out of alpha status, but they no I mean business when I tell them no- but since they have a mind of their own they still try. Since you are doing a lot of training with him just keep consistent with your commands and he should take the understanding that it's not good with consistency.

OP
riuthamus

riuthamus

Apr 22, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Drogo
Copy, I will try that out and see how it works. He is very smart and understand most of the time when we say no (he stops) but my wife had him doing it this morning and it was more than he has in the past. I am not sure if this is out of love or if it is a dominance thing, or just "Im growing up and have a penis!" type of issue. Thanks for the ideas though

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
staying consistent with the training and the firm NO will keep it under control, but not sure it will stop it. I have two males and I am constantly telling one of them 'OFF' ... as soon as I say it, they stop and go back to playing till they think I am not looking.... circle, circle, circle

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I agree, be consistent with telling him no and redirecting him. Snipping him won't necessarily help, some of the dogs I see play humping the most are neutered. Just depends on the pup.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I've had females who were "humpty dumpty's" too! Each other, or certain toys. I tell them "quit that!! " Poor bunch of young old maids!!:ROFL:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've had females who were "humpty dumpty's" too! Each other, or certain toys. I tell them "quit that!! " Poor bunch of young old maids!!:ROFL:

My worst humper is Molly, almost 8 years old and humps me like clockwork every night after dinner.

I call it Hammer Time. :rofl:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My worst humper is Molly, almost 8 years old and humps me like clockwork every night after dinner.

I call it Hammer Time. :rofl:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Elsa loves to hump and my MAIN question is why do females hump? It honestly makes no sense to me.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Elsa loves to hump and my MAIN question is why do females hump? It honestly makes no sense to me.

Um... I'm pretty sure it's just as pleasurable for a woman as it is a man! :rofl:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I just want to put my 2 cent's in. Vegas was 6 in March, he was snipped at a young age. We adopted him when he was 5 months old and he was already done. To this day he is a HUGE humper!!! If my hubby n I get to close he humps hubby, if ANYONE walks through the front door, they get humped. We have a huge Christmas Eve party every year, and I have to leash him and walk around all night with Vegas on a leash!! :evil: :eek: Vegas is a moma's boy and if anyone get's near me or comes in HIS house they get humped. I have tried everything in the world to stop him, don't matter, he humps! Bully's are stubborn, but Mr Vegas is horrid! All my friends know when the come over what to expect. I have "put him down, til submit" and he gets right back up and does it again. I have used spray bottles, coins in a can etc... Vegas is just a humper...Company BEWARE!! lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:rofl:Vegas is like a camel-every day is hump day!! He just wants to spread the love!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.