Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Of leash training advice

  1. #1
    Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Seline Weiskopff's Avatar
    Country
    united states
    Location
    syracuse
    Posts
    229
    Bulldog(s) Names
    molly
    Likes (Received)
    290

    Default Of leash training advice

    We would like Molly off the leash while out back or going to and from car for rides . She does really good normally but the other day made a mad dash around the yard . This scared me because our beloved (Dallas) who was a Boxer loved to run out of any open door .We would spend frantic hours chasing him down. He was with us for 14yrs! When we went to meet Molly mom and dad were just hanging in the yard . We were so impressed lol. Any advice?

    Sending Bully Wiggles Your Way
    I'm a little bulldog short and stout.... tip me over and my tongue falls out

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Of leash training advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Seline Weiskopff View Post
    We would like Molly off the leash while out back or going to and from car for rides . She does really good normally but the other day made a mad dash around the yard . This scared me because our beloved (Dallas) who was a Boxer loved to run out of any open door .We would spend frantic hours chasing him down. He was with us for 14yrs! When we went to meet Molly mom and dad were just hanging in the yard . We were so impressed lol. Any advice?

    I'm terrified of this... only bc at the age of 10yrs old I witnessed my German Sheppard get hit by a car and thrown nearly 1/2 block down the street. I truly believe that no matter how trained they are, they are still animals, and if something intrigues them - another dog, a cat, something, they will still go for it. Tyson won't leave my sight, he'll chill right near us, but even with that said, if we're outside I still tie him to the garage with a really long dog tie... but it only allows him to reach the sidewalk and no further. He still doesn't move anywhere even if he sees another dog, etc but still its a chance I personally am not willing to take, bc it only takes a split second.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  3. #3
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: Of leash training advice

    It is interesting that our first boxer, named Molly, also used to run for it at every opportunity. I can't count the times we would run around the neighborhood chasing after her. There were a lot of opportunities (open doors) too because I had 3 boys, 8 year old twins and a toddler at the time! (AND we lived in Dallas!)

    We had a bully named Rosie who was just a terrible leash walker! She used to bite the leash and get tangled up in it (on purpose!) and generally spaz out. And if we took her out with the boxers, she insisted on grabbing their leashes and walking them. My husband finally just walked her without a leash and she walked calmly right beside him forever after that.

    I'm like Jessica though, I always think that, "it just takes that one time!" I think the safest thing would be to do some off-leash training with Molly and a trainer.

  4. Likes TyTysmom, Seline Weiskopff liked this post
  5. #4
    Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Seline Weiskopff's Avatar
    Country
    united states
    Location
    syracuse
    Posts
    229
    Bulldog(s) Names
    molly
    Likes (Received)
    290

    Default Re: Of leash training advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    It is interesting that our first boxer, named Molly, also used to run for it at every opportunity. I can't count the times we would run around the neighborhood chasing after her. There were a lot of opportunities (open doors) too because I had 3 boys, 8 year old twins and a toddler at the time! (AND we lived in Dallas!)

    We had a bully named Rosie who was just a terrible leash walker! She used to bite the leash and get tangled up in it (on purpose!) and generally spaz out. And if we took her out with the boxers, she insisted on grabbing their leashes and walking them. My husband finally just walked her without a leash and she walked calmly right beside him forever after that.

    I'm like Jessica though, I always think that, "it just takes that one time!" I think the safest thing would be to do some off-leash training with Molly and a trainer.
    Oh my thats to funny ! Almost scary lol . Me and my Husband have been going back and fourth about this and im with both of you girls ! I definetly dont want anything to happen . I like the long leash idea too I feel like I could relax.

    Sending Bully Wiggles Your Way
    I'm a little bulldog short and stout.... tip me over and my tongue falls out

  6. #5
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,154
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11485

    Default Re: Of leash training advice

    Buy a long lead (25 to 30 feet) and trainer her with a VERY high value treat. In classes it may be referred to as 'touch' command... you basically let them think they are off leash but you have the long lead and then you recall them with a chosen word that will only be used for recall (i.e touch). Treat and high praise when she returns and you will eventually be able to trust her.

    It is a tough one to get down.... Banks never took to it until she was about 4
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. Likes Seline Weiskopff, Manydogs liked this post
  8. #6
    Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Seline Weiskopff's Avatar
    Country
    united states
    Location
    syracuse
    Posts
    229
    Bulldog(s) Names
    molly
    Likes (Received)
    290

    Default Re: Of leash training advice

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Buy a long lead (25 to 30 feet) and trainer her with a VERY high value treat. In classes it may be referred to as 'touch' command... you basically let them think they are off leash but you have the long lead and then you recall them with a chosen word that will only be used for recall (i.e touch). Treat and high praise when she returns and you will eventually be able to trust her.

    It is a tough one to get down.... Banks never took to it until she was about 4
    Thank you ! I will try it at least I think me and hubby will agree. She is so young yet but learns really fast and is always eager to do a trick for loving or a treat

    Sending Bully Wiggles Your Way
    I'm a little bulldog short and stout.... tip me over and my tongue falls out

  9. Likes 2BullyMama, Manydogs liked this post
  10. #7

    Default Re: Of leash training advice

    My boxer who was named Dallas used to run all over the neighborhood if she got out and she got hit once by a car scared me to death to watch! She was 12 when she passed miss her! I keep my bulldogs on a leash unless I'm on a trail then they love to run and roam!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. Likes Seline Weiskopff liked this post
  12. #8
    Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Seline Weiskopff's Avatar
    Country
    united states
    Location
    syracuse
    Posts
    229
    Bulldog(s) Names
    molly
    Likes (Received)
    290

    Default Re: Of leash training advice

    Quote Originally Posted by lynngosox View Post
    My boxer who was named Dallas used to run all over the neighborhood if she got out and she got hit once by a car scared me to death to watch! She was 12 when she passed miss her! I keep my bulldogs on a leash unless I'm on a trail then they love to run and roam!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds just like my D. I was lucky enough to have a daughter who ran track.Lol I'm definitely
    careful when testing her off the leash. Usually I can tell when she's in a stubborn mood ! Thank you for sharing your story it made my night

    Sending Bully Wiggles Your Way
    I'm a little bulldog short and stout.... tip me over and my tongue falls out

  13. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training 2bulldogsstuff's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Logan and Brett
    Likes (Received)
    722

    Default Re: Of leash training advice

    Luckily Brett and Logan can walk off leash when I call them they both listen to my commands but I feel more comfortable when they on the leash


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. Likes Seline Weiskopff liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •