Of leash training advice

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
We would like Molly off the leash while out back or going to and from car for rides . She does really good normally but the other day made a mad dash around the yard . This scared me because our beloved (Dallas) who was a Boxer loved to run out of any open door .We would spend frantic hours chasing him down. He was with us for 14yrs! When we went to meet Molly mom and dad were just hanging in the yard . We were so impressed lol. Any advice?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We would like Molly off the leash while out back or going to and from car for rides . She does really good normally but the other day made a mad dash around the yard . This scared me because our beloved (Dallas) who was a Boxer loved to run out of any open door .We would spend frantic hours chasing him down. He was with us for 14yrs! When we went to meet Molly mom and dad were just hanging in the yard . We were so impressed lol. Any advice?

I'm terrified of this... only bc at the age of 10yrs old I witnessed my German Sheppard get hit by a car and thrown nearly 1/2 block down the street. I truly believe that no matter how trained they are, they are still animals, and if something intrigues them - another dog, a cat, something, they will still go for it. Tyson won't leave my sight, he'll chill right near us, but even with that said, if we're outside I still tie him to the garage with a really long dog tie... but it only allows him to reach the sidewalk and no further. He still doesn't move anywhere even if he sees another dog, etc but still its a chance I personally am not willing to take, bc it only takes a split second.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
It is interesting that our first boxer, named Molly, also used to run for it at every opportunity. I can't count the times we would run around the neighborhood chasing after her. There were a lot of opportunities (open doors) too because I had 3 boys, 8 year old twins and a toddler at the time! (AND we lived in Dallas!)

We had a bully named Rosie who was just a terrible leash walker! She used to bite the leash and get tangled up in it (on purpose!) and generally spaz out. And if we took her out with the boxers, she insisted on grabbing their leashes and walking them. My husband finally just walked her without a leash and she walked calmly right beside him forever after that.

I'm like Jessica though, I always think that, "it just takes that one time!" I think the safest thing would be to do some off-leash training with Molly and a trainer.

OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
It is interesting that our first boxer, named Molly, also used to run for it at every opportunity. I can't count the times we would run around the neighborhood chasing after her. There were a lot of opportunities (open doors) too because I had 3 boys, 8 year old twins and a toddler at the time! (AND we lived in Dallas!)

We had a bully named Rosie who was just a terrible leash walker! She used to bite the leash and get tangled up in it (on purpose!) and generally spaz out. And if we took her out with the boxers, she insisted on grabbing their leashes and walking them. My husband finally just walked her without a leash and she walked calmly right beside him forever after that.

I'm like Jessica though, I always think that, "it just takes that one time!" I think the safest thing would be to do some off-leash training with Molly and a trainer.

Oh my thats to funny ! Almost scary lol . Me and my Husband have been going back and fourth about this and im with both of you girls ! I definetly dont want anything to happen . I like the long leash idea too I feel like I could relax.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Buy a long lead (25 to 30 feet) and trainer her with a VERY high value treat. In classes it may be referred to as 'touch' command... you basically let them think they are off leash but you have the long lead and then you recall them with a chosen word that will only be used for recall (i.e touch). Treat and high praise when she returns and you will eventually be able to trust her.

It is a tough one to get down.... Banks never took to it until she was about 4

OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
Buy a long lead (25 to 30 feet) and trainer her with a VERY high value treat. In classes it may be referred to as 'touch' command... you basically let them think they are off leash but you have the long lead and then you recall them with a chosen word that will only be used for recall (i.e touch). Treat and high praise when she returns and you will eventually be able to trust her.

It is a tough one to get down.... Banks never took to it until she was about 4

Thank you ! I will try it at least I think me and hubby will agree. She is so young yet but learns really fast and is always eager to do a trick for loving or a treat :)

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
My boxer who was named Dallas used to run all over the neighborhood if she got out and she got hit once by a car scared me to death to watch! She was 12 when she passed miss her! I keep my bulldogs on a leash unless I'm on a trail then they love to run and roam!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
My boxer who was named Dallas used to run all over the neighborhood if she got out and she got hit once by a car scared me to death to watch! She was 12 when she passed miss her! I keep my bulldogs on a leash unless I'm on a trail then they love to run and roam!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds just like my D. I was lucky enough to have a daughter who ran track.Lol I'm definitely
careful when testing her off the leash. Usually I can tell when she's in a stubborn mood ! Thank you for sharing your story it made my night :)

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Luckily Brett and Logan can walk off leash when I call them they both listen to my commands but I feel more comfortable when they on the leash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.