Help Needed! 14 week old Bully snarling/growling

velez77

May 8, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Calvin
Hi all!

I've been reading the forums extensively over the past several months to prepare for bringing our new bulldog pup home. We got Calvin at 7 weeks old and he was the adorable runt of the litter. He has what sounds like a pretty typical bully personality--complete with being stubborn and loving snuggles. He's really such a love. BUT, we have one problem. About 3 or 4 weeks ago he started occasionally snarling at us when we go to pick him up. It's not all the time but it's becoming a little more frequent. There are times where he refuses to walk out of the house to go potty or walk back inside (like I said, stubborn) and when I or my husband or daughter pick him up he snarls and bears his teeth. This is NOT the same as his puppy-ish growling like when he's pulling on our pants legs or a toy. This is mean and aggressive...or at least it sure looks that way. We are all very careful to pick him up in a gentle yet firm way to hold him securely--there's not undue squeezing of his stomach or hurting his legs or anything that could be the problem. I'm posting because tonight he snarled and got so angry it was the first time I wasn't able to pick him up at all. We were outside and he wanted to lay on the grass and not come in. Usually I pick him up anyway, give him a firm "NO" and then he calms down. Not tonight. :unsure:

I'm stumped and I certainly don't want to be bit...or worse, have one of our kids be bit by him.

Any thoughts?
Really appreciate it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN..... how much training have you done with him? Even though he is young you should start training immediately upon coming into to home and all family members need to stay consistent in the training/commands

Have the family use this easy technique ... nothing in life is free. and, also when walking or wanting him inside, use a high value treat to training him to listen to you. As you said he is a Bulldog, so there is a decision being made by him -- is what you are asking worth me doing it a.k.a. stubborn

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above, he's still young and this can easily be rectified now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Great advice above, he's still young and this can easily be rectified now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd better get right on it-or you will not have any control later! He is so young to be doing that-sounds like he didn't have much handling while with his mom.(or perhaps mis-handling)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone… I'd start w/training right away, or get a personal trainer involved. He is so young I seriously don't see this becoming a permanent habit. Good luck!!!

OP
V

velez77

May 8, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Calvin
We began training almost immediately with the NILIF and make him sit for every treat and for each meal and even when I put his water bowl down after refilling it.

What should be the appropriate action on my part when he's snarling like that? Crate him (but don't want to use as a punishment...)?

He doesn't do the snarling every time we pick him up, but frequently...

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We began training almost immediately with the NILIF and make him sit for every treat and for each meal and even when I put his water bowl down after refilling it.

What should be the appropriate action on my part when he's snarling like that? Crate him (but don't want to use as a punishment...)?

Oh boy… well I would completely ignore him when he acts like that. Of course in some instances you can't, like if you are trying to get him in the house… if he's on the leash turn your back to him. I do this to Walter when he's chewing on the leash and acting insane on our walks. He HATES to be ignored… Lol

Have you had a vet do a once over on him?!! Wally went for my face not too long ago and we discovered he injured his tail. Once I had him on metacam he stopped…

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
Great advice here ! Molly did this a few times to my husband and my son. They were both very shocked and both times they were trying to bring her upstairs to bed. on both occasions I walked right up to her and picked her up no problem. we all thought she was just being fussy with who was telling her what to do. bottom line she wanted her mom ! She is very attached to me I'm home with her 24/7 and manage all her care and training. bully are so much like children it's scary lol good luck with your pup :)

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great advice here ! Molly did this a few times to my husband and my son. They were both very shocked and both times they were trying to bring her upstairs to bed. on both occasions I walked right up to her and picked her up no problem. we all thought she was just being fussy with who was telling her what to do. bottom line she wanted her mom ! She is very attached to me I'm home with her 24/7 and manage all her care and training. bully are so much like children it's scary lol good luck with your pup :)

I'm in the same position… so I make sure whenever possible my kids and hubby take over for feeding, treats, etc… so they understand that all the people in the house are alphas. Dogs always have a favorite, but this way it doesn't become a bigger issue… especially when it concerns the kids!!!

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
I'm in the same position… so I make sure whenever possible my kids and hubby take over for feeding, treats, etc… so they understand that all the people in the house are alphas. Dogs always have a favorite, but this way it doesn't become a bigger issue… especially when it concerns the kids!!!

I can't agree more :) now that I've got mollys training down its getting the family to be consistent with it same language and schedule is so important!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Some dog breeds should be kept with the Mom and litter mates longer
than other breeds and the bulldogs are but one of them as they mature
slowly. After weaning the importance is being taught critical social skills
& behavior, your pup didn't get this, being let go at 7 weeks and neither
did his siblings. He may not have been handled & socialized by the breeder
either. As the above knowledgeable EBN'ers have said, it must be done now.
Find a good, bulldog experienced trainer to work with your family and pup.
At your Vet visits, let them know so they can rule out any physical issues
that can cause aggressive behavior altho most probably not a worry. Good
luck and keep us in the loop on how it goes, pics please of your baby bully :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

No crating....as you were doing ... the firm NO. put I would also stop picking him up unless it is totally necessary...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.