overly protective of mom & dad

Robin hess

Feb 2, 2015
Oklahoma
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
angus
Angus is 1 ( today is his birthday in fact) & if another dog jumps on us, he will throw them down & hold them there. We can't pet another dog, he goes crazy. We live in an apt complex & honestly hasn't really been around too many dogs. The few he has been around he gets along well with until they get too close ito my husband or myself. We gothim as a puppy. He's not a rescue dog. He's neutered. He also has major seperation anxiety with me. I realize his seperation anxiety is my fault tho. I suffered a trauma a few years ago so I don't leave my house much so he & I are always together. My issue is how do I deal with him being overly protective? Just wanted to give you as muchinfo to his personality as possible. We would like to add another bull ie to the family one day. So I want to correct this behavior.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Socialize him more with other dogs and if you get a bunch of dogs around you he wont know what to do but be friends. Socialization skills is one of if not the biggest thing these babies need. Maybe enroll him in a puppy class or dog class at Petco or Petsmart? To get Buster socialized I would take him to Lowe's and walk him around the store, there's always dogs there and they would see him and he would see them and it worked out well.

Happy Birthday Angus!!! Many many many more to come!! :snoopy:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Angus is 1 ( today is his birthday in fact) & if another dog jumps on us, he will throw them down & hold them there. We can't pet another dog, he goes crazy. We live in an apt complex & honestly hasn't really been around too many dogs. The few he has been around he gets along well with until they get too close ito my husband or myself. We gothim as a puppy. He's not a rescue dog. He's neutered. He also has major seperation anxiety with me. I realize his seperation anxiety is my fault tho. I suffered a trauma a few years ago so I don't leave my house much so he & I are always together. My issue is how do I deal with him being overly protective? Just wanted to give you as muchinfo to his personality as possible. We would like to add another bull ie to the family one day. So I want to correct this behavior.

Luckily, this behavior can be worked on, but it will take some time, and alot of work for both you & your hubby since she's clearly made you all her property. Its cute until it gets dangerous. The best thing is training & socializing her, have her on a leash at all times when training - keep small treats as rewards. You have to instantly correct the bad behavior, and keep correcting over & over until she settles down - then - hand her a treat. Leashed is the safest route, be as gentle as possible... if there is another dog, one of you hold her, while the other pets the new dog. If she snaps, instantly correct her with a firm "NO" or whatever command you want. Its something that will be learned over time, with constant repetition. Also, you want to try and get this addressed now, because it can grow worse, and extend to other people as well, not just other dogs. Don't be alarmed if it takes months, the breed is very stubborn, but also very intelligent. She will see that you both are alphas, and that she keeps getting corrected each time no matter what - and when she's "well behaved" she earns a treat. You will have to take turns since she has it with both of you. Best of luck, and definitely work on this before adding another bully.

Edit: HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGUS!!! :balloons:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some good info above, so it takes time and consistency. Definitely correct any unwarranted behavior anytime it happens.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I agree that socialization is key. She needs to be around other dogs and people a lot more, so she's comfortable with the idea. I completely agree with TyTysmom.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree -- socialize, but be sure that the first few times out, do not get to close to other people or dogs until you know he is more comfortable. Also, contact a trainer and try to get him in an adult dog beginner training class where you can both learn how to socialize him correctly.

Best of luck

HAPPY birthday Angus!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.