bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Hello everyone things were going so much better with radar and I am not sure what happened but he has started to bully our son again not as often or as much but it is still happening we are nil if at home. radar isn't crate trained I plan on crate training to see if that helps him but his nostrils are really tight and I am nervous he will get to hot or excited. May 11 he is getting a nose job so after that we can get started. what I need most is how do we show radar we are all top dog and he is not, best way to crate train a 18 month old, radar goes to the in laws during the day and grandpa as 0 rules I need to get him to follow house rules how do I tell him without it blowing up in my face and it will i wont go into details but i could have strangled him for his comments will radar be ok at home alone? In the summer I can come home for lunch and spend 30 minutes with him. I am sure that I could find someone to come to the house and during the winter. I am also looking to see if anyone has any good trainers in the sw central IA area. I know that I have totally screwed him up, I try so hard to be strong until he goes to sleep and then I just sit in my chair crying. I love him and I want to fix him I know that we missed a beat somewhere and Mr schedule caught it. Any advice on trainers tips ideas crate training will be much appreciated, anything. I have failed so far but I am hoping it's not to late to turn things around

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
I had a trainer come to my house here in Australia and work with my Chumley ,and train all of us to be the leader of the pack .what he showed us was to be the boss and win in every situation .ive never crate trained but I purchases a child safety gate and put it across a corner of the lounge room and that's chumleys time out when a un wanted behaviour is continually displayed, which is Harley ever now maybe once a week ,i have a 9 yo that Chumley attempts to get too friendly with at times we were taught to stand in front of him , tap him behind the ear saying the word" hey " and stepping forward into him, after a few taps he sits down and we have proved we are the leader of the pack I work with my 9 yo to help him be boss ,I couldn't believe how well this worked.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Biggest thing is getting everyone on the same page... so G-Pa has to get on board! Do you know of 'nothing in life is free' ? VERY easy technique for all to use and Radar to know he is not top dog.

Also, at 18 mths, he is the teenage stage and going to push the limtis where he knows he can -- go back to basics to reinforce the rules and get G-Pa on board!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
We have been using nothing in life is free and things are getting better. I don't know if g PA will get on board he wont even stand up to his 30 year old daughter who has screwed over the whole family. I think I am going to have to find someone who can stay at the house with him part of the day and enforce all of the rules

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have been using nothing in life is free and things are getting better. I don't know if g PA will get on board he wont even stand up to his 30 year old daughter who has screwed over the whole family. I think I am going to have to find someone who can stay at the house with him part of the day and enforce all of the rules

Check with your vet office... sometimes the office sstaff or techs do pet sitting to earn extra csh or they may know of a good person for you to call

GOOD LUCK!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
There are also professional pet-sitters out there, please keep us posted. I really hope that things get better.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I saw something on another forum that I posted earlier in another thread. It's called Dominance theory and the Alpha. Have a look at it too. Don't give up!
We had an American Bulldog that was very dominant and was pretty hard to handle at times. We eventually sent her to 'boot camp' when she was about 2.5 yrs when we lived in NC. They trained dogs for the police but trained privately as well. She was gone for 10 days and it worked wonders for her. Money well spent. We could never forget 'nothing is free' as she would soon try to push her luck but she was also a happier dog. She was great and we loved her dearly and she was without doubt the smartest dog we have ever had.

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Good news I wrote grandpa a heartfelt letter asking for his help with radar and included some information on nothing in life is free. To my surprise he told my husband he will do whatever I need him to do. I am so relieved. I have contacted another trainer and she is going to help us as well just need to get through his palate and nose surgery so if his breathing is contributing to his anxiety that will be out of the way but until then radar gets nothing for free. Thanks all for your support I won't give up

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Great! Good luck and let us know how things go.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good news I wrote grandpa a heartfelt letter asking for his help with radar and included some information on nothing in life is free. To my surprise he told my husband he will do whatever I need him to do. I am so relieved. I have contacted another trainer and she is going to help us as well just need to get through his palate and nose surgery so if his breathing is contributing to his anxiety that will be out of the way but until then radar gets nothing for free. Thanks all for your support I won't give up

AWESOME! best of luck and please keep us posted on how his surgery goes

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I will let you know on nares surgery but found out today has torn acl as well

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I will let you know on nares surgery but found out today has torn acl as well

OMG.... so sorry! I have been through two of those surgeries -- toughest thing is keeping them calm for 6 weeks

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
awe wow, I am sorry to see this. Praying all goes well with this.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.