Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default The bully who cried wolf

What do you guys do when your young bully (6.5 months) comes in from potty and, after a short while, keeps going to the door to go out again?

She doesn't always have to go potty again because sometimes when I take her out again, she doesn't potty...she plays. If I ignore her, she doesn't have an accident in the house. I just don't want to misjudge one of her fake-outs and force a potty accident. But, man, if I take her out each time she goes to the door, we'd be going out every 20 minutes!

I also don't want to discourage her going to the door because she is SO GOOD with her potty habits. But, it's kind of exhausting and I worry that when I call her or go get her from the door, I'm making her feel that going to the door is bad.

Is this silly? Maybe I'm worrying about nothing. Either way, does anyone else's bully cry potty wolf?
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

2. Likes dolphin liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The bully who cried wolf

Harlea does it all the time. She will go out do her business... Come in and want to go right back out. Most 9f the time is that she just want to lay in the sun or play with her outdoor toys some more. However, she doesn't always get her way other wise it would be in and out every 10 to 15 minutes and if she really has to go potty she will bark at or paw one of us.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

4. Likes dolphin, Cali Doll liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    Harlea does it all the time. She will go out do her business... Come in and want to go right back out. Most 9f the time is that she just want to lay in the sun or play with her outdoor toys some more. However, she doesn't always get her way other wise it would be in and out every 10 to 15 minutes and if she really has to go potty she will bark at or paw one of us.

Exactly! You get me.

I'd be going out every 15-20, too. I'm like, "Bella, come on!"
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

6. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

The boys do this also. They have their "fake" potty cry and the real deal. The real potty cry will involve a bark, some crying, and something that's sounds like Chewbacca talking. Good luck, I really think my bulldogs were put on this earth to make me have a breakdown! Lol you probably should not ask me tonight though, because I am still trying to piece my insurance policy back together to see if my insurance went up!
    My smooshy face boy!

8. Likes Marine91, Manydogs, dolphin, Cali Doll liked this post
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    The boys do this also. They have their "fake" potty cry and the real deal. The real potty cry will involve a bark, some crying, and something that's sounds like Chewbacca talking. Good luck, I really think my bulldogs were put on this earth to make me have a breakdown! Lol

LOL, at least I'm not alone. That is some comfort.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Not just my bullies, but all the dogs I've ever had do this! It's so irritating! Sometimes I just get up and down, letting them in and out. Sometimes I get irritated and say, "No, I just let you out and you don't need to go again!" Of course, they probably don't understand all that, but they get the idea. If you find a good solution to the problem, let me know!
    Sweet Bella just has you well trained!

Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    Not just my bullies, but all the dogs I've ever had do this! It's so irritating! Sometimes I just get up and down, letting them in and out. Sometimes I get irritated and say, "No, I just let you out and you don't need to go again!" Of course, they probably don't understand all that, but they get the idea. If you find a good solution to the problem, let me know!
    Sweet Bella just has you well trained!
    She most certainly does, Donna. *sigh*

She's way too smart for her own good. She will go sit at the stairs that lead to the front door or the stairs to the basement, sit there, and look back over her shoulder at me.

I'm like ---->
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

One of my dogs-Martha does this all the time. Of course when she was a little pup-I was taking her out ev. 15 minutes. Now that she is older-she hits the bell whenever she gets bored-even when we just came in! I say-go lay down, you just went out! As long as their is normal poop-I don't fall for it any more! The others don't do it, thank goodness! She did actually have a pee accident once-but it WAS my fault that time,I didn't believe her. Then I had the guilt!! @Cali Doll
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
    She most certainly does, Donna. *sigh*

She's way too smart for her own good. She will go sit at the stairs that lead to the front door or the stairs to the basement, sit there, and look back over her shoulder at me.

I'm like ---->
    Frankie likes to cry to go out, I let him out, he circles the on the deck comes in and sits for a cookie!! No way Jose!!!
    My smooshy face boy!

14. Likes Donnam, Cali Doll liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We went through this with Banks... she just LOVED being outside, so we put a dog door on the slider to the deck so she could go out at will and we could block it when not home or too hot
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

16. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    One of my dogs-Martha does this all the time. Of course when she was a little pup-I was taking her out ev. 15 minutes. Now that she is older-she hits the bell whenever she gets bored-even when we just came in! I say-go lay down, you just went out! As long as their is normal poop-I don't fall for it any more! The others don't do it, thank goodness! She did actually have a pee accident once-but it WAS my fault that time,I didn't believe her. Then I had the guilt!! @Cali Doll

LOL, see that's my fear! Sometimes she'll do it after an especially aggressive play session. Then I start wondering if maybe she worked up a potty. But, I know this almost-7-months-old dog doesn't have to pee every 20 minutes! It's not like there's a UTI issue.

I think the issue is also that she's no longer tethered. I removed the tether this weekend, so she has more freedom now. But, I still try not to let her out of my sight because she still has a couple of bad chewing habits (railings, shoes). Is it bad if I tether her again? She doesn't mind being tethered, as she likes to chew on the leash when she's relaxed. It's easier to keep track of a tethered bulldog...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    We went through this with Banks... she just LOVED being outside, so we put a dog door on the slider to the deck so she could go out at will and we could block it when not home or too hot
    Some of your Banks stories remind me so much of Bella!
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Frankie likes to cry to go out, I let him out, he circles the on the deck comes in and sits for a cookie!! No way Jose!!!
    Same here, Buster will do it thinking he'll get a treat every time but I don't fall for it. His mom does but not me LOL!

20. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads