Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
What do you guys do when your young bully (6.5 months) comes in from potty and, after a short while, keeps going to the door to go out again?

She doesn't always have to go potty again because sometimes when I take her out again, she doesn't potty...she plays. If I ignore her, she doesn't have an accident in the house. I just don't want to misjudge one of her fake-outs and force a potty accident. But, man, if I take her out each time she goes to the door, we'd be going out every 20 minutes!

I also don't want to discourage her going to the door because she is SO GOOD with her potty habits. But, it's kind of exhausting and I worry that when I call her or go get her from the door, I'm making her feel that going to the door is bad.

Is this silly? Maybe I'm worrying about nothing. Either way, does anyone else's bully cry potty wolf?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea does it all the time. She will go out do her business... Come in and want to go right back out. Most 9f the time is that she just want to lay in the sun or play with her outdoor toys some more. However, she doesn't always get her way other wise it would be in and out every 10 to 15 minutes and if she really has to go potty she will bark at or paw one of us.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Harlea does it all the time. She will go out do her business... Come in and want to go right back out. Most 9f the time is that she just want to lay in the sun or play with her outdoor toys some more. However, she doesn't always get her way other wise it would be in and out every 10 to 15 minutes and if she really has to go potty she will bark at or paw one of us.

Exactly! You get me. :)

I'd be going out every 15-20, too. I'm like, "Bella, come on!"

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
The boys do this also. They have their "fake" potty cry and the real deal. The real potty cry will involve a bark, some crying, and something that's sounds like Chewbacca talking. Good luck, I really think my bulldogs were put on this earth to make me have a breakdown! Lol you probably should not ask me tonight though, because I am still trying to piece my insurance policy back together to see if my insurance went up! :evil:

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The boys do this also. They have their "fake" potty cry and the real deal. The real potty cry will involve a bark, some crying, and something that's sounds like Chewbacca talking. Good luck, I really think my bulldogs were put on this earth to make me have a breakdown! Lol

LOL, at least I'm not alone. That is some comfort.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Not just my bullies, but all the dogs I've ever had do this! It's so irritating! Sometimes I just get up and down, letting them in and out. Sometimes I get irritated and say, "No, I just let you out and you don't need to go again!" Of course, they probably don't understand all that, but they get the idea. If you find a good solution to the problem, let me know!
Sweet Bella just has you well trained!:yes:

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Not just my bullies, but all the dogs I've ever had do this! It's so irritating! Sometimes I just get up and down, letting them in and out. Sometimes I get irritated and say, "No, I just let you out and you don't need to go again!" Of course, they probably don't understand all that, but they get the idea. If you find a good solution to the problem, let me know!
Sweet Bella just has you well trained!:yes:

She most certainly does, Donna. *sigh*

She's way too smart for her own good. She will go sit at the stairs that lead to the front door or the stairs to the basement, sit there, and look back over her shoulder at me.

I'm like ----> :sneaky2:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of my dogs-Martha does this all the time. Of course when she was a little pup-I was taking her out ev. 15 minutes. Now that she is older-she hits the bell whenever she gets bored-even when we just came in! I say-go lay down, you just went out! As long as their is normal poop-I don't fall for it any more! The others don't do it, thank goodness! She did actually have a pee accident once-but it WAS my fault that time,I didn't believe her. Then I had the guilt!! @Cali Doll

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She most certainly does, Donna. *sigh*

She's way too smart for her own good. She will go sit at the stairs that lead to the front door or the stairs to the basement, sit there, and look back over her shoulder at me.

I'm like ----> :sneaky2:
Frankie likes to cry to go out, I let him out, he circles the on the deck comes in and sits for a cookie!! No way Jose!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We went through this with Banks... she just LOVED being outside, so we put a dog door on the slider to the deck so she could go out at will and we could block it when not home or too hot

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
One of my dogs-Martha does this all the time. Of course when she was a little pup-I was taking her out ev. 15 minutes. Now that she is older-she hits the bell whenever she gets bored-even when we just came in! I say-go lay down, you just went out! As long as their is normal poop-I don't fall for it any more! The others don't do it, thank goodness! She did actually have a pee accident once-but it WAS my fault that time,I didn't believe her. Then I had the guilt!! @Cali Doll

LOL, see that's my fear! Sometimes she'll do it after an especially aggressive play session. Then I start wondering if maybe she worked up a potty. :D But, I know this almost-7-months-old dog doesn't have to pee every 20 minutes! It's not like there's a UTI issue.

I think the issue is also that she's no longer tethered. I removed the tether this weekend, so she has more freedom now. But, I still try not to let her out of my sight because she still has a couple of bad chewing habits (railings, shoes). Is it bad if I tether her again? She doesn't mind being tethered, as she likes to chew on the leash when she's relaxed. It's easier to keep track of a tethered bulldog...

- - - Updated - - -

We went through this with Banks... she just LOVED being outside, so we put a dog door on the slider to the deck so she could go out at will and we could block it when not home or too hot

Some of your Banks stories remind me so much of Bella! :cool:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie likes to cry to go out, I let him out, he circles the on the deck comes in and sits for a cookie!! No way Jose!!!

Same here, Buster will do it thinking he'll get a treat every time but I don't fall for it. His mom does but not me LOL!

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Same here, Buster will do it thinking he'll get a treat every time but I don't fall for it. His mom does but not me LOL!

Daddy is the pushover in our house, everyone knows it, kids and dogs alike! Lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally is like this, and it drives me completely insane :yell: He LOVES to be outside, and I've never had a bully that likes being out so much. He waits till I'm trying to cook dinner, and he wants out every 5 min… it drives me crazy!!! Lol

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt

I have never had this problem with either of the boys... But Weesie sure gets up and down a lot.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online