2.5 Years Old and Still Won't go for Walks!!

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
So Barkley is about 2.5 years old now and still refuses to go on walks. He's never really liked them ever since he was a puppy, we always had to force him but he would reluctantly go and then seem to enjoy himself once he got going. We've moved to a few different places since we've had him and each time he would go for walks at the new place for a few weeks and then once he got used to it then he just started refusing to go.

If he hears the word walk or thinks we are about to go on one he runs to the back of his crate and hides. If by some miracle we actually get him outside he just refuses to budge and wants to turn around and run home. We've tried giving him treats and everything and he still doesn't care. He will usually do anything for a banana but could care less about them when a walk is involved.

I just have no clue what else to do! I would love to be able to take him for walks around the neighborhood but should I just give up on it at this point?? Is there any hope left?!? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor Barkley is Barn sour!! I don't like leaving the house either!!:no:

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] hahaha that's funny...I would think so too but he looooves going for car rides, going to the park, etc. and if there is no hint of a walk involved he will walk out the front door and want to investigate the front yard and see if there's any kids he can play with.

I'd say he's just lazy but he loves playing with his toys in the house or running around the backyard with a soccer ball so I just don't get it!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maybe he feels insecure or vulnerable on a walk. The yard and the car are kind of his territory.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
@Manydogs and @Donnam hahaha that's funny...I would think so too but he looooves going for car rides, going to the park, etc. and if there is no hint of a walk involved he will walk out the front door and want to investigate the front yard and see if there's any kids he can play with.

I'd say he's just lazy but he loves playing with his toys in the house or running around the backyard with a soccer ball so I just don't get it!!

Well, seriously, did anything bad or scary ever happen on a walk? I had a bully, Daisy, many years ago. I also had two boxers at the time. My husband used to take all 3 dogs to go get doughnuts every Saturday morning and they would each get a couple of doughnut holes. One Saturday morning, Roy left the dogs in the car and went inside the doughnut shop. One of the boxers knocked the gear shift and the car rolled backwards across the parking lot and was stopped by the curb. No damage and no one got hurt. But from that day on, Daisy refused to get in the car to go get doughnuts! I swear it's the truth! LOL You wouldn't think a dog would be that smart, but we couldn't ever think of any other reason for her to refuse to go get doughnuts!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Well, seriously, did anything bad or scary ever happen on a walk? I had a bully, Daisy, many years ago. I also had two boxers at the time. My husband used to take all 3 dogs to go get doughnuts every Saturday morning and they would each get a couple of doughnut holes. One Saturday morning, Roy left the dogs in the car and went inside the doughnut shop. One of the boxers knocked the gear shift and the car rolled backwards across the parking lot and was stopped by the curb. No damage and no one got hurt. But from that day on, Daisy refused to get in the car to go get doughnuts! I swear it's the truth! LOL You wouldn't think a dog would be that smart, but we couldn't ever think of any other reason for her to refuse to go get doughnuts!

Ohhh no that's so crazy haha! I'm glad everyone was fine! Yea it is so crazy how smart they are and how much they remember things!! But nope, nothing bad ever happened! Like I said, he had never been too thrilled to go on them but once you got him going he was always excited and loves to see other people and dogs along the way! I just don't understand why he absolutely refuses now. The same thing happened with baths too...he used to love them and get excited and now if he even gets a little hint that it's bath time he runs in his crate and we have to drag him out and in the bath. And nothing bad ever happened with baths either! I guess he's just a typical bully, it's his way or the highway ha.

I really just want to get him more exercise...I told my husband we need to get a wagon and wheel him in it halfway around the neighborhood and then make him walk back home since he always will run back to the house! Haha

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well here's an idea… since he enjoys going to the park, just make sure while you are out that you make him "walk" so he associates a walk w/something that he enjoys. You mentioned a wagon, we actually have one of those collapsable wagons that we take to the local farmer's market and Wally LOVES to ride in that thing. You would NOT believe the attention that he gets at the farmer's market… (he even got some pulled pork from a vendor!!!). I think that the more that you try to get him walking the more he will relax about it and enjoy himself. I guess my bullies were spoiled because when I had Roxie I would take them ALL for a walk and they always wanted to go where SHE was going… do you have another dog that could go on a walk w/you guys together?!!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Ohhh no that's so crazy haha! I'm glad everyone was fine! Yea it is so crazy how smart they are and how much they remember things!! But nope, nothing bad ever happened! Like I said, he had never been too thrilled to go on them but once you got him going he was always excited and loves to see other people and dogs along the way! I just don't understand why he absolutely refuses now. The same thing happened with baths too...he used to love them and get excited and now if he even gets a little hint that it's bath time he runs in his crate and we have to drag him out and in the bath. And nothing bad ever happened with baths either! I guess he's just a typical bully, it's his way or the highway ha.

I really just want to get him more exercise...I told my husband we need to get a wagon and wheel him in it halfway around the neighborhood and then make him walk back home since he always will run back to the house! Haha

The wagon idea is good for walks. I've seen someone in my neighborhood pulling their wagon with a bully in it. It's funny looking--no wonder Wally gets a lot of attention at the farmer's market, lol! Also, for exercise: when I want to tire Winnie out, I go out and throw the ball for her in the back yard. She would do that until she collapsed if I'd let her. Check into a Varsity Ball, which is a big, indestructible ball that most bullies really love to chase around the yard--that's good exercise! I don't know if Barkley likes balls, but Winnie is obsessed with them. And you could get your hubby to take y'all for a car ride, let you and Barkley out to walk home? It may work until he figures how to get his way! Or you could teach him how to skateboard! :rolleyes:

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Well here's an idea… since he enjoys going to the park, just make sure while you are out that you make him "walk" so he associates a walk w/something that he enjoys. You mentioned a wagon, we actually have one of those collapsable wagons that we take to the local farmer's market and Wally LOVES to ride in that thing. You would NOT believe the attention that he gets at the farmer's market… (he even got some pulled pork from a vendor!!!). I think that the more that you try to get him walking the more he will relax about it and enjoy himself. I guess my bullies were spoiled because when I had Roxie I would take them ALL for a walk and they always wanted to go where SHE was going… do you have another dog that could go on a walk w/you guys together?!!

Haha that's great! Yea we just might have to try the wagon out. We are actually getting another puppy but the breeders aren't breeding til may or June so he/she won't come home til sept or oct. I'm hoping maybe Barkley will want to go when we do get the new pup though!!
[MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] yea we try to do that as much as we can...he has a few different jolly balls that he loves to run around the backyard with and at night before bed we have "bedtime playtime" where we play fetch with him and his toys for awhile (it's his fav part of the day haha). We've just been trying to get him to lose a few extra pounds and the walks would make it so much easier! Plus my hubby and I like going for walks so I wish we could have Barkley join us!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online