Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elliot
    Likes (Received)

Default My puppy only seems to want to bite/ HARD

So Elliot my soon to be 9 week old puppy started off so laid back and loving at 6 weeks but as time has gone on we cant even touch him without him biting down so hard that it has drawn tears from me and blood from my husband. I understand puppies play and are teething, we say no, yelp, ignore him, give him a toy in his mouth instead, walk away! seems like we are doing everything right but the moment we give him attention again he is grabing my clothes and tugging on them while he growls and biting anything he can, including my face.I try to stay as calm as i can but when all he does is hurt me its getting hard. I would just like some advice or is he just an agressive dog? maybe we took him from his liter too soon that he didnt learn the behavior he should have to not bite so hard. any suggestions or help is welcome

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My puppy only seems to want to bite/ HARD

I think it would be extremely rare for a 9 week old puppy to be aggressive unless there was some serious trauma that went on.
    Most likely, it is the teething.
    Get yourself some "Bitter Apple" and spray it on your hands, feet, wherever he's biting you- it's almost guaranteed to work

Also, just keep teaching him "no" and re-direct with toys. You can also freeze some toys and have him chew on those. The cold will numb the pain a bit and help with the teething.

3. Likes Kmaestas7689, Vikinggirl liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the shark phase. It is going to last quite awhile so keep up what you are doing. It takes a lot of persistence and patience to teach these buggers but they eventually get it. Also what @nycbullymama suggested about bitter apple spray works as well.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

5. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Elliott's behavior sounds totally normal to me. My Bella was like that until she was, I think, 16 weeks. It was exhausting, so I empathize with you. I just kept redirecting and I put her in her playpen when I couldn't take it anymore. I just told myself that she would be better at 4-6 months. She improved really quickly and Elliott will, too.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

7. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elliot
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate the advice! It seems like he gets better at one thing and than there is a completely different issue, I was told about this sour apple so i am going to have to invest in this. Its just Ive had puppies before and their bites are tolerable but his are so painful and when you yelp or yell no or ouch he clinches even tighter. Im putting him in obedience puppy classes with other puppies after his second shots so maybe when he gets a little more socialized he will learn more.

9. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kmaestas7689 View Post
    I appreciate the advice! It seems like he gets better at one thing and than there is a completely different issue, I was told about this sour apple so i am going to have to invest in this. Its just Ive had puppies before and their bites are tolerable but his are so painful and when you yelp or yell no or ouch he clinches even tighter. Im putting him in obedience puppy classes with other puppies after his second shots so maybe when he gets a little more socialized he will learn more.
    I'm telling you, bullies are different! I also raised a non-bully puppy previously and he never bit like this. Bella was a horrible biter! I couldn't hold her or play with her because all of our interaction consisted of me avoiding her teeth. I couldn't even walk around her because she bit my legs, pants, feet, shoes. It was pretty crazy.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

I sooo feel for you because Winnie was a terrible biter when she was a puppy. I've had a lot of puppies, including 4 bullies and she was the worst by far! At times my hubby and I looked like burn victims or something, our arms were so scarred from the biting. Nothing we did helped until we got a spray bottle filled with water. When she would bite we would spray her face and say "no bite!" This was what helped the most. After a while, all I had to do was show her the bottle and say "no bite," and she would quit. Some puppies won't be deterred by distraction or yelping or substituting toys and just keep going for body parts no matter what--Winnie was like that.

I will tell you that by the time she was 4 months old she had pretty much quit all biting and she wouldn't dream of biting anyone now. You certainly don't have an aggressive dog. I think you're doing all the right stuff. Just hang in there and little Elliot will quit biting when he gets a little older!

12. Likes Cali Doll, Kmaestas7689, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Christa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spanky
    Likes (Received)

I feel your pain! I have an 11 week-old (first time bully owner). I got him at 7 weeks and also thought that maybe he had been taken from his litter too soon. He did the biting, growling, biting harder when you reacted, you name it- he did it & I was also worried because he seemed completely uninterested in us unless it was biting..wouldn't let us pet him and would sleep on the other side of the room. BUT, the past 2 weeks he has shown significant improvement. He still has many crazy moments throughout the day but they have gotten shorter and less frequent. Hang in there! It's frustrating but it really does get better! Good luck

14. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by christaleigh123 View Post
    I feel your pain! I have an 11 week-old (first time bully owner). I got him at 7 weeks and also thought that maybe he had been taken from his litter too soon. He did the biting, growling, biting harder when you reacted, you name it- he did it & I was also worried because he seemed completely uninterested in us unless it was biting..wouldn't let us pet him and would sleep on the other side of the room. BUT, the past 2 weeks he has shown significant improvement. He still has many crazy moments throughout the day but they have gotten shorter and less frequent. Hang in there! It's frustrating but it really does get better! Good luck
    And that's exactly what frustrated me so much about Winnie! It was like she didn't care about us at all. The more we yelped, the harder she'd bite. We had to get up on the bed to put on our shoes, my clothes had holes in them and we couldn't love on her unless she was asleep. I seriously thought we had gotten a sociopathic dog! But she's a total LOVE now. Maybe it takes them longer to fall in love with us than it takes us to fall in love with them!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Extremely normal behavior as others have stated… I don't believe your baby is aggressive at all. A few tips… use a chew or toy to distract from the biting, if that doesn't work put him in a "time-out" in his crate or a pen. This will reinforce the idea that biting his humans is NOT acceptable behavior and he needs to make better choices. Plus this will give you a break…

The spray bottle is another great idea and so is shaking a can of coins as a distraction. Remember NOT to sign him up for puppy classes until he has completed all of his puppy vaccines, I waited to take my pups until they are about 6 mos old. Good luck and keep us posted on your adorable baby!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

17. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

hahaha, I found this old thread of mine. It made me laugh. Bella was so crazy when she was little. It most definitely gets better!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...puppiness.html
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Drogo
    Likes (Received)

We have a new puppy as well and this was a huge issue. His teeth are razor sharp and when he would play it was killing me. So i did some searching and trying to find out why they felt the need to bite. Somebody had told me to provide the puppy with a toy and say NO when he would bite. This was not working and actually just made things worse.

I did, however, find an article about how puppies play. While the puppies are playing they will yelp very loud and remove themselves from play if they are hurt. The article said to do this with your puppy, yelp very loud and back away from the puppy for 10 - 20 seconds. Quickly resume play and the puppy will learn. I did this and within 1 day he was cured of the biting skin. He still goes after my feet when socks are on them (even after i yelp) but every other time if he notices soft skin he stops and licks or stops all together. Try this out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads