Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    baxter
    Likes (Received)

Default Almost 2 and still peeing/pooping in crate

Woke up this morning to this. Again.

Suggestions?

1) Usually he has no bedding. Seems to work. But clearly wakes up with painful joints. (walks around like an old man with painful joints when i let him out in the mornings). He clearly is uncomfortable all night and does not sleep when there's no padding. Because the next day he's so wiped out it was obvious he hadn't slept at all. I feel terrible as it seems like torture. So sometimes I try with padding, and this happens every time.

2) He's on a reliable schedule. I'm the only dog owner I know that takes his adult dog out to potty 3-5 times a day (and I work from home). Doesn't matter. He does what he wants when I'm not in the room.

3) I literally take him out at the very last minute of my day, and I am up rarely more than 7 hours later. Doesn't matter. If there's bedding, theres pee. Or poop.

4) I restrict his water intake drastically in the afternoons/evenings. He's clearly thirsty but I don't let him drink. Doesn't matter. Again - i feel like im torturing him to address this problem.

5) When I take him out he acts like he's done. I've given him 45 minutes on some walks. While 20 other dog owners come out, go potty, and go back inside, there's me and Baxter still standing there waiting for him to finish. Oh and then he'll pee in his crate overnight (if there's bedding).

6) I am the only dog owner I know who had to potty train daily up to the 1 year of age mark. And now we are at nearly 2 years and I'm still having to deal with this. I doubt you could suggest anything I have not tried.

I guess he's going to sleep on a painful hard surface while dehydrated every night. Its really ridiculous that he sabotages himself like this. You'd think he'd get cause/effect eventually, but he's not getting it.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Almost 2 and still peeing/pooping in crate

My Brutus would have accidents on crate bedding as well. I took it out and he was better. Brutus is also 2. He does not sleep in his crate though. the only time he is in the crate is when we are not home. He sleeps on the couch at night. Can Baxter be trusted to sleep on a dog bed in your room?
    My smooshy face boy!

3. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    baxter
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    My Brutus would have accidents on crate bedding as well. I took it out and he was better. Brutus is also 2. He does not sleep in his crate though. the only time he is in the crate is when we are not home. He sleeps on the couch at night. Can Baxter be trusted to sleep on a dog bed in your room?
    Hmm. Well he's a bit noisy for me to sleep in the same room. Im a very light sleeper and his snoring would keep me awake. I've had some luck putting a cushiony surface in the crate that has a plastic texture. It was basically a rubber covered pad. This seemed to work, while not destroying his joints so much.

But its really kind of ridiculous that we have to do all this. I guess that's part of owning this breed? When I let him out of the crate with happy smiles and "good morning!" he slinks off across the room in shame. Before I even know whats up. He knows he did something wrong. Still does it the next day.

I can't count the conversations I've had with other dog owners who look at me strange when I tell them I had to potty train daily for an entire year. I love baxter and I love this breed but this aspect of it kind of reminds me of major behavioral dysfunctions.

I mean he's almost 2 ... he's an adult. There's no reason for this. The sheer amount of effort I have had to pour into him is astronomical. And that's an understatement.

Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Have you ever had his hips and spine checked for birth defects? I know certain spinal defects can lead to incontinence. I ask this because Brutus was trained since he was very small. He would chew or pee on his bedding but never poop. At 2 he should have complete control. The fact that he looks guilty leads me to believe he knows it is wrong, but maybe he can't help it? Does he have accidents any where else?
    My smooshy face boy!

6. Likes JennieS, dolphin liked this post
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    baxter
    Likes (Received)

No hip or health problems. He's just an english bulldog.

I've read several threads here where people say their dog can never have bedding because they will continue to go in their crate.

I haven't figured out of its stubbornness or just lack of awareness / inability to learn. Or a combination of both.

I've also spoken to several EB owners in person who laughingly said their EB failed out of doggy training class. One said theirs failed 3 times.

I dont know how a dog "fails" a class but i think 3 trainers gave up, basically. That should tell us something.

In fact i *just* got out of the elevator with a girl who said they have an EB - and let out this huge sigh of exhaustion. I knew exactly what she meant without her having to explain. She politely said "We're still learning ..."

I get it.

Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Well having an EB is like having a perpetual 2yr old child. I think yours may be more stubborn than most though. I really don't think it is a lack of awareness or an inability to learn. mine are exceptionally smart and training was a breeze, however, when they feel like not listening, they will push boundaries. It is always a constant training session. I must win the argument every time or it is over. As you know, having an EB is a major commitment. Maybe the girl in the elevator should shoot for a poodle next time around??
    My smooshy face boy!

9. Likes dolphin, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Well having an EB is like having a perpetual 2yr old child.
    no truer words have ever been typed before!!!!!!!

11. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Sandy Hurley
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Shelby, Victorian Bully and Conan, EB
    Likes (Received)

I can't tell how big the crate is from the pic of the pad but perhaps downsizing if possible, leaving him little room to mess?

GL

Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Baxter is a full grown bulldog, he needs to stay in the crate he is in. He cannot go smaller.
    My smooshy face boy!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

it also took me two full years to train my French Bulldog --- he would look right at me and pee or poo -- hence, his nick-name 'stink bear'. No bedding for those two years either.... I have been lucky with all 3 of my Bulldogs as they have picked up on the potty thing within the first few months.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

I had a hard time potty training Ruthie. She would go in her crate all the time. What i finally had to do, after LOTS of trial and error, was block off her crate so she could ONLY lay down to sleep and turn around. no more sprawling out for her. I also took away her bedding, but I felt awful so that only lasted only 1 night. After i left her with no space, she never went in her crate again and i was able to open the whole thing up to her.
    We had to potty train her for about a year, she finally got it. We got her a 9-10 months old and she was a puppy mill dog who went potty anywhere she could.
    maybe he's just acting out and wants to be near you at night. Could you move the crate to your room or give him something that smells like you for him to sleep with?

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Is he comfortable outdoors and in meeting other dogs? Is he sniffing around and peeing/marking where other dogs have been? If not, could it be that he is afraid of going outdoors?

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads