Almost 2 and still peeing/pooping in crate

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
You really shouldn't restrict his water , especially if it's apparent that he's thirsty. I'm sorry you're having this issue, but dehydration can bring on a lot of other bad issues. It's important for dogs to always have fresh water available, especially going into hotter summer months.

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
My girl is 3 and if you put any bed or material thing in her cage or to lie on outside in another room she pees on it. Have no clue as to why she does this, she has done this since a pup. I do not let her have any kind of material thing at all to avoid this. Now I have put a diaper or pull up on her and put a strap through it and attached it to her harness and this is the only way she can sleep with me and sit on the couch and roam all over the carpet ect but it works. I also do not have to worry about her peeing because she doesn't want the pee touching her this way. It is weird she will pee on her bedding an lay back down on it which it has been obsorbed obviously but with a diaper or pull up it literally touches her and she don't like that. I never limit her water either.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I have two suggestions. First, I empathize with you. We had this issue with Winnie when she was little and had to remove the bedding from the crate and started feeding her in the crate because dogs usually don't want to mess up where they eat. That seemed to work and she has bedding back in the crate. That being said, she has always slept in our bed with us and has never peed in the bed. When she was little and would need to go out in the middle of the night, she would wake up and sit on the edge of the bed. I'm also a light sleeper and I'd wake up and take her out. Gradually, she quit getting up in the night. It sounds like you don't really want Baxter sleeping in the bed with you and I certainly understand that, but that's my first suggestion anyway. You get so used to the snoring, you'll soon not be able to sleep without it.

If I can't get you to let him sleep with you :) my other suggestion is this: there is a product online called "Tinkle Trousers." (tinkletrousers.com). This is a garment that you strap onto your dog and you insert a baby disposable diaper. I used these the last couple of months before my boxer died because she was completely incontinent. But they work much, much better than doggie disposable diapers. I remember reading reviews on the website, and some people with potty training issues used them and their dogs quit peeing in the diapers. It looks like quite a contraption, but it's very comfortable for the dog and they can't wiggle out of it like regular doggie diapers (regular dog diapers are made for dogs with reasonable tails and don't stay on dogs with short tails, I found). At the very least, even if he still pees in the crate, you wouldn't have a big mess to clean up in the morning. I have a couple of these, they might be too big for Baxter, but check the website out, figure out what size he would wear. Let me know and I could send you a pair to try if mine are the right size.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Any word [MENTION=8322]baxter[/MENTION]Tiberius ?

riuthamus

Apr 22, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Drogo
This is an interesting read. Our puppy was 8 weeks old when we got him and was peeing in the bed (we didnt have a crate yet). After three nights of doing laundry I had enough and forked up the cash to get the expensive crate. He currently has learned that outside is where pee and poo go but if nobody is there to take him out he barks once and then says, "Dude, I got to go so its happening!". He leaves it at the front door for guests or at the back door that leads to outside. When we crate him he will never poo there but if we are out for 4 hours ( on a hike or something ) he will pee on his bedding.

So for us we know he is still young, but he already knows how it works. We just have to figure out how to teach him the importance of letting us know if one of us is not in his immediate sight range.

riuthamus

Apr 22, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Drogo
I can relate to what you're going through. We brought Belle home when she was 10 months old. She was completely potty trained UNLESS she was in the kennel. It didn't matter if she was crated for 20 minutes or two hours...she pooped and peed every time. This is what worked for us. In less than 2 months she is now completely potty trained and never has an accident.
* Divided her crate...they should have enough room to turn around and lay down. Anything bigger will hurt potty training because they can get away from the mess. Put a divider in the crate and give him less room.
* Stopped crating her at night...she sleeps in our bed now. This alone made the biggest difference. She was much happier and secure with her place in our family. She (like most EBs) wanted to be with her people and not being around us caused her anxiety which led to accidents. Since we only crate her when we are gone now, she never has an accident.

Good luck.

I dont know how this worked for you, last night after reading this article we tried to put the dog with us in the bed. No more than 5 seconds on the bed and he walked over to my wife and peed on our fleece blanket. As for sleeping, he loves sleeping downstairs in/near the crate. The idea of ristricting the crate room is not a bad idea... and could stop him from sleeping in the pee but I wont know till we try. Our only issue is that he doesnt hold it long enough when somebody is not around. I am not talking about hours, I am talking about minutes to seconds. We take him out regularly and after every meal, he does his thing and then somehow spawns more stuff to get rid of at will! If one of us is around and notice him walking towards the backdoor we let him out (which is good) but if we are not around for whatever reason he just plops it right there for us to snap up later.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I dont know how this worked for you, last night after reading this article we tried to put the dog with us in the bed. No more than 5 seconds on the bed and he walked over to my wife and peed on our fleece blanket. As for sleeping, he loves sleeping downstairs in/near the crate. The idea of ristricting the crate room is not a bad idea... and could stop him from sleeping in the pee but I wont know till we try. Our only issue is that he doesnt hold it long enough when somebody is not around. I am not talking about hours, I am talking about minutes to seconds. We take him out regularly and after every meal, he does his thing and then somehow spawns more stuff to get rid of at will! If one of us is around and notice him walking towards the backdoor we let him out (which is good) but if we are not around for whatever reason he just plops it right there for us to snap up later.

Try the tethering technique. Literally leash the dog and keep him attached to you at all times. It sounds crazy but it works. You can't let him out of your sight and being leashed to you is a way to insure that he can't sneak off and go. When I have a young puppy I will tie the leash to my belt loop or around my waist that way my hands are free and I can continue with my day. If you see him start to go you can correct him (loud NO) and take him outside immediately...this will help reinforce that the only acceptable potty area is outside. If he's able to go inside the house without immediate consequence it's going to take a lot longer to fix.

riuthamus

Apr 22, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Drogo
Try the tethering technique. Literally leash the dog and keep him attached to you at all times. It sounds crazy but it works. You can't let him out of your sight and being leashed to you is a way to insure that he can't sneak off and go. When I have a young puppy I will tie the leash to my belt loop or around my waist that way my hands are free and I can continue with my day. If you see him start to go you can correct him (loud NO) and take him outside immediately...this will help reinforce that the only acceptable potty area is outside. If he's able to go inside the house without immediate consequence it's going to take a lot longer to fix.

Hm, I will have to try this and get back to you on how it works. Our puppy is no where near the 2 year mark ( only 8 weeks old ) but it cant hurt to get this taken care of early.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Hm, I will have to try this and get back to you on how it works. Our puppy is no where near the 2 year mark ( only 8 weeks old ) but it cant hurt to get this taken care of early.

8 weeks is very young...we wouldn't expect a 6 month old human to be potty trained so we have to remember that a young puppy is similar. Their bladders are TINY and he's still learning how to control it. Stay patient and consistent and he'll be fine.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

riuthamus, in addition to tethering, make sure you give him very high-value treats for every one of his outdoor pottys (chicken, cheese, etc). These treats should be treats that he gets only when he outdoor ppottys. Also, walk him to the door at potty time so that he knows how to get there. Make him want​ to let you know that he has to go out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is an interesting read. Our puppy was 8 weeks old when we got him and was peeing in the bed (we didnt have a crate yet). After three nights of doing laundry I had enough and forked up the cash to get the expensive crate. He currently has learned that outside is where pee and poo go but if nobody is there to take him out he barks once and then says, "Dude, I got to go so its happening!". He leaves it at the front door for guests or at the back door that leads to outside. When we crate him he will never poo there but if we are out for 4 hours ( on a hike or something ) he will pee on his bedding.

So for us we know he is still young, but he already knows how it works. We just have to figure out how to teach him the importance of letting us know if one of us is not in his immediate sight range.

at 8 weeks old he can only hold his bladder for about 3 hours and that is pushing it. If he is aware of where he should go and does leave it by a door... best thing is to get on a schedule when you are home and letting him roam the house with you. We brought Lambeau home at 9 weeks and took him out every 2 hours with high praise and a treat each time he did his duty. Now at 6 mths, he still not not bark , but he does walk to the basement stairs and stands there so that is our indication he has to go.

Have you tried hanging a bell on a rope from the door handle? It did not work with us, but i know a lot of people that he worked great for

riuthamus

Apr 22, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Drogo
at 8 weeks old he can only hold his bladder for about 3 hours and that is pushing it. If he is aware of where he should go and does leave it by a door... best thing is to get on a schedule when you are home and letting him roam the house with you. We brought Lambeau home at 9 weeks and took him out every 2 hours with high praise and a treat each time he did his duty. Now at 6 mths, he still not not bark , but he does walk to the basement stairs and stands there so that is our indication he has to go.

Have you tried hanging a bell on a rope from the door handle? It did not work with us, but i know a lot of people that he worked great for

Thank you for the suggestions. We got a doggy door for the backdoor and installed it this weekend. After about 3 hours of training he finally figured out he can go in and out. He is stubborn as all hell though and often will not go through without a treat. That said, this morning I heard a loud clank noise and thought he had crashed something over while I was getting ready for work. When I went to the living room to see what was going on he was outside and peeing. (He didnt pee in the grass but on the patio, so partial credit for at least being outside right?)

Long story short, I think he is learning and I am very happy with this little bugger. He is getting so big now.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you for the suggestions. We got a doggy door for the backdoor and installed it this weekend. After about 3 hours of training he finally figured out he can go in and out. He is stubborn as all hell though and often will not go through without a treat. That said, this morning I heard a loud clank noise and thought he had crashed something over while I was getting ready for work. When I went to the living room to see what was going on he was outside and peeing. (He didnt pee in the grass but on the patio, so partial credit for at least being outside right?)

Long story short, I think he is learning and I am very happy with this little bugger. He is getting so big now.

Bravo Drogo!!!

riuthamus

Apr 22, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Drogo
Thanks, everybody is so nice here! So happy we found the place.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks, everybody is so nice here! So happy we found the place.

awesome on the doggie door... but PLEASE make sure he can only go out when you are at home. They can overheat very quickly in even low temperatures .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.