Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Almost 2 and still peeing/pooping in crate

Quote Originally Posted by riuthamus View Post
    Hm, I will have to try this and get back to you on how it works. Our puppy is no where near the 2 year mark ( only 8 weeks old ) but it cant hurt to get this taken care of early.

riuthamus, in addition to tethering, make sure you give him very high-value treats for every one of his outdoor pottys (chicken, cheese, etc). These treats should be treats that he gets only when he outdoor ppottys. Also, walk him to the door at potty time so that he knows how to get there. Make him want​ to let you know that he has to go out.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

This is an interesting read. Our puppy was 8 weeks old when we got him and was peeing in the bed (we didnt have a crate yet). After three nights of doing laundry I had enough and forked up the cash to get the expensive crate. He currently has learned that outside is where pee and poo go but if nobody is there to take him out he barks once and then says, "Dude, I got to go so its happening!". He leaves it at the front door for guests or at the back door that leads to outside. When we crate him he will never poo there but if we are out for 4 hours ( on a hike or something ) he will pee on his bedding.

So for us we know he is still young, but he already knows how it works. We just have to figure out how to teach him the importance of letting us know if one of us is not in his immediate sight range.
    at 8 weeks old he can only hold his bladder for about 3 hours and that is pushing it. If he is aware of where he should go and does leave it by a door... best thing is to get on a schedule when you are home and letting him roam the house with you. We brought Lambeau home at 9 weeks and took him out every 2 hours with high praise and a treat each time he did his duty. Now at 6 mths, he still not not bark , but he does walk to the basement stairs and stands there so that is our indication he has to go.

Have you tried hanging a bell on a rope from the door handle? It did not work with us, but i know a lot of people that he worked great for
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Drogo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    at 8 weeks old he can only hold his bladder for about 3 hours and that is pushing it. If he is aware of where he should go and does leave it by a door... best thing is to get on a schedule when you are home and letting him roam the house with you. We brought Lambeau home at 9 weeks and took him out every 2 hours with high praise and a treat each time he did his duty. Now at 6 mths, he still not not bark , but he does walk to the basement stairs and stands there so that is our indication he has to go.

Have you tried hanging a bell on a rope from the door handle? It did not work with us, but i know a lot of people that he worked great for
    Thank you for the suggestions. We got a doggy door for the backdoor and installed it this weekend. After about 3 hours of training he finally figured out he can go in and out. He is stubborn as all hell though and often will not go through without a treat. That said, this morning I heard a loud clank noise and thought he had crashed something over while I was getting ready for work. When I went to the living room to see what was going on he was outside and peeing. (He didnt pee in the grass but on the patio, so partial credit for at least being outside right?)

Long story short, I think he is learning and I am very happy with this little bugger. He is getting so big now.

4. Likes dolphin, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the suggestions. We got a doggy door for the backdoor and installed it this weekend. After about 3 hours of training he finally figured out he can go in and out. He is stubborn as all hell though and often will not go through without a treat. That said, this morning I heard a loud clank noise and thought he had crashed something over while I was getting ready for work. When I went to the living room to see what was going on he was outside and peeing. (He didnt pee in the grass but on the patio, so partial credit for at least being outside right?)

Long story short, I think he is learning and I am very happy with this little bugger. He is getting so big now.

Bravo Drogo!!!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

6. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Drogo
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, everybody is so nice here! So happy we found the place.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, everybody is so nice here! So happy we found the place.

awesome on the doggie door... but PLEASE make sure he can only go out when you are at home. They can overheat very quickly in even low temperatures .
    e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Drogo
    Likes (Received)

Of course, we are very cautious of his temperature. I would say we are overly cautious! When the temperature gets to over 79 we turn the AC on till it gets below the mark!

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Of course, we are very cautious of his temperature. I would say we are overly cautious! When the temperature gets to over 79 we turn the AC on till it gets below the mark!

Beautiful!
    e.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads