Dog loves cats- cats do not love dog.

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I have a one year old english bulldog and three cats. Two of them are 17 and 18 years old and pretty frail. Ollie wants to play with the cats- she paws at them and lunges and chases them- she thinks it's fun! The cats do not agree. They hiss and hit her then spend most of the rest of the day hiding under the bed.
I've tried dragging her away and getting stern with her and locking her in her crate for quiet time... but every morning she still goes after the cats.
How do I teach her to be gentle with the cats or even to just leave them alone?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It will come in time and after many swats. I have 4 cats. 3 Bengals and a tabby. Two of my Bengals just ignore Harlea and swat her when she makes them mad.y youngest Bengal plays with her and my Tabby who is the oldest hisses and swats all the time so Harlea just avoids him.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Brutus attacked our cat for a long time after we got him but i trained him out of it and now he snuggles with them. He still has his moments but it's more in fun now to where i know he's not going to hurt them, he's just curious.
He spent the first 3 months with us on a leash so the cats could set the boundaries. Brutus has never had any boundaries. We were his 4th and final home. Which is why we kept him on the leash. He needed to learn. If they wanted to smell him they could without him lunging at them. He got used to them being around, rubbing on him, laying in the same room...etc.
he STILL goes after cats that aren't "his". That's another work in progress.

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I say Ollie needs a friend!!:yea:another bully:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Maybe once he gets smacked around a few times he'll learn. Cats don't play around - hee hee.

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
I am in the same situation with my pup! He's all for playing and the cats absolutely are not! My pup is only 10 weeks old so I'm hoping it's just a new fascination, but I let my cats give him a good bat- he'll learn eventually! Good luck to you!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bulldogs, don't play soft, they play hard, plus he is still full of pup, but with time he should get bored with them, especially if they pop him a time or two.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bulldogs, don't play soft, they play hard, plus he is still full of pup, but with time he should get bored with them, especially if they pop him a time or two.

:laugh: so very true ^^^^

OP
WhitneyBlanche

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! Hoping Ollie loses interest in the kitties. And we do plan to get a second doggy in August! We bought a house a couple weeks ago and move in July 31st so once we're settled we will be adopting a second doggy so Ollie has a playmate!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! Hoping Ollie loses interest in the kitties. And we do plan to get a second doggy in August! We bought a house a couple weeks ago and move in July 31st so once we're settled we will be adopting a second doggy so Ollie has a playmate!

Best of luck with the move.... congrats on the new home

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.