Problem with our WALKS!!

wendyk313

Feb 25, 2015
TX
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi Everyone, I have an issue with my EB Bella on our walks. She loves to go on walks, with one condition...She picks the direction...EVERY TIME!! If I try to go a direction she doesn't agree with, yep, she plants it and just stares at me..LOL At first I thought she just wanted to explore new areas, but I'm thinking that's not it. She walks so good on leash, right beside me, not pulling or anything. Of course it's the getting back home that takes awhile sometimes. I had heard of the EB stubbornness, but I wasn't prepared till I experienced it. I've had her about a month and a half, she's about 3 yrs old.

Any suggestions?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Wendy, I understand what you're going through, my male Bulldozer doesn't like to walk more than 5 or 10 minutes, so he will walk so far and then he plops down and flays all 4 of his legs to the side and refuses to walk. I usually have to go behind him and pick up his butt so he'll start walking again. I also have to keep him on the sidewalk, because if he gets to the grass, he's done. Lol. I started to carry a few pieces of kibble in my pocket to bribe him to walk and it usually works, maybe you could try this to coax Bella to follow you. Good luck. These babies can be so stubborn, they sometimes will do what they want, and ignore you.

OP
wendyk313

wendyk313

Feb 25, 2015
TX
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks, at least I'm not alone, lol I feel so foolish sometimes on our walks trying to get her to go the direction I choose. I walk ahead, talk baby bulldog talk to her, and yep she just keeps staring in the direction she wants to go...I'll have to take treats with me I guess. She does love her treats, it was a life saver when putting on her collar and a harness after bath time. Now she's doing really good with that, so maybe there's hope.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have had issues w/bulldogs on the leash as well… they are SO stubborn!!! I have tried a new trick, whenever Wally does some undesirable on a walk (his fav is to try and EAT the leash!!!) I just STOP walking and we sit there. When he decides he's tired of just sitting there and he lets go of the leash we continue our walk. You may want to try this… just ignore Bella and stop walking until she realizes that YOU get to decide the direction… Lol

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Story of my life. I'm glad most everyone on our block knows us & Tyson. Otherwise I'd look dumb too. Trying to move nearly 80lbs of bulldog is no joke. I don't ever pull him, but I have to often just sit there and play "whos gonna give in first" - I'll be honest, I don't always win. If he wants to go left, and we normally go right. He'll just stand his ground. Ugh. Stubborn is an understandment. When its cool out, I'll allow it, but as summer approaches, and the heat rises, I fight him right back bc he can't be out that long.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Walking is difficult at our home too. brutus LOVES to walk and is quick. Ruthie will slow poke. A walk with her that would normally take 10 mins, takes an hr. She is the worst. Ruthie is like bella and wants to go her way. I stand there, wait and while she's looking i give a little tug on her leash and let her know, nope, we are going my way. That usually works and i tell her there are fun things to pee on that are on my route.

Most Reactions