Help Needed! 2 Year Old English Bulldog suddenly aggressive towards girlfriend

KUgrad13

Apr 13, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Shelby
Hello everyone,

I am needing guidance on what to do with my female English Bulldog named Shelby. I got Shelby when she was 7 months. She is 2 years and 5 months old now and she has always been a very lovable puppy until about a month ago. On March 12, she started to get aggressive towards my girlfriend. I wasn't there when it happened the first time but my girlfriend says that they were both sitting on the couch and my girlfriend went to reach down to pick up a blanket off the floor and Shelby didn't like it and growled and snipped at her. I originally thought it was because Shelby was going through her heat but her heat has since stopped and she still becomes aggresive towards my girlfriend at times. Most of the times when I have seen it happen my girlfriend has not been doing anything at all and Shelby will get aggressive. My girlfriend is the only person I have seen Shelby do this to and she has never once snapped at me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@KUgrad13
Could be a territory thing, if you are primarily the alpha in the home. My best recommendation is that your girlfriend start in active training with her. Rewarding good behavior, and starting to be stern & reinforce correction when she acts out towards her. She needs to understand that your girlfriend is also an alpha, start with having her correct her every time. I don't know who feeds her, but try letting your girlfriend feed her, she will see that "good" is coming from her, and she has to respect her... Let your girlfriend walk her, etc. (if she's not already) Reward good behavior with small treats. The worst thing she can do is act scared... she will sense that and continue the same attitude.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, agree with Jessica, I believe Shelby has matured into an adult and is
showing some territorial & dominance issues. She may be 'claiming' you as
hers. Needs to be nipped in the bud now so all can be peaceful & loving.
GF needs to be calm & patient but firm about asserting dominance so Shelby
understands her place in the pack, it will take stress off Shelby to submit to
the Alphas (y'all). Also, no being on sofas, beds, etc until Shelby does submit,
disagreeing with her behavior and not punishing her. Kind, consistent, patient
and firm, rewarding good behavior. Let us know how it goes, welcome to EBN.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the gang… I would let your girlfriend handle all feeding and treats if possible so that Shelby understands that she is ALSO an alpha in your home.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Dogs are extremely smart. Some sniff out drugs, dead bodies. Maybe Shelby knows this ain't the gal for you? Bring a few other girls to the house and let's see what happens. Ralphie

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
goodbye Dear Abby-Hello Dear [MENTION=12277]RalphieBoy[/MENTION] :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the others... your g/f should be involved with the training and she should also feed shelby. also, look up 'nothing in life is free',,, very easy and great training technque

LesLie Donovan

May 5, 2015
California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I too have a bulldog he's 8 years old and my boyfriend and i have been together 6 years. He feeds him plays with him and for the past few years my bully will go to attack him out of no where. My boyfrienddoes drink and i say the dog feels thst he is unstable when drinking and he has to protect me. I dont know what to do, my boyfriend is ready give me an ultimatum him or the dog, what do i choose.....? Help! oh I failed to mention I have had my buddy since he was 9 weeks old.

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
[MENTION=14170]LesLie Donovan[/MENTION] if it was me I'd choose the dog [emoji3] sorry I have no experience with this, I should imagine someone with experience will be along shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I too have a bulldog he's 8 years old and my boyfriend and i have been together 6 years. He feeds him plays with him and for the past few years my bully will go to attack him out of no where. My boyfrienddoes drink and i say the dog feels thst he is unstable when drinking and he has to protect me. I dont know what to do, my boyfriend is ready give me an ultimatum him or the dog, what do i choose.....? Help! oh I failed to mention I have had my buddy since he was 9 weeks old.

WOW… that is unfair IMO for your boyfriend to make you choose between him and your "baby". I would get a trainer involved to see what triggers that are causing your bully to attack the boyfriend. Another thing is that since he's 8 years old (which is pretty old for a bully) I would take him to the vet to get a good check-up. He just may not be feeling very good, and sometimes dogs will just act out because they are hurting.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=14170]LesLie Donovan[/MENTION] if it was me I'd choose the dog [emoji3] sorry I have no experience with this, I should imagine someone with experience will be along shortly

Me too.... Bye to the bf if he were to say that and not want to figure out the issue... Totally not fair or right

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Yeah. I'll definitely would chose my dog over BF anytime. BF should understand especially if you had him since he was 9 weeks old.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online